• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

He was lost. Watch the plays. He had no idea what to do. That’s also not his fault either. First year in the system, or whatever nonsense you want to call it. He didn’t know what to do or where to go with the ball. Probably one of the worse games I’ve seen a QB play at this level, less Davis Bevel against Texas last year in a 49-0 blowout. That was worse. Purdy does have some ability, but he wasn’t ready for what those coaches threw him into. Smothers had been here for a few years, so he knew the offense. Huge difference. You are totally grasping and reaching right now because yo ass got owned. ;)
1 game, every practice, 3 different HC's = not nearly enough to judge
2 games = plenty to know he's completely lost and can never play at this level.

agree, we have 4 pretty strong interior DL's right now. That is not counting the two terrific freshmen pass rushers we have. Plus, we get two more frosh DT's arriving in the summer.
Rhule and his staff are recruiting athletes and he’s going to play them where their skills dictate. It’s a much different approach than most head coaches.

You mean in the second half after:
-His OC/HC (the play calling) failed to adjust to what the Iowa DC changed in the second half and give Smothers a chance to succeed.
-His substandard O-line limited what was possible for Smothers to do, especially when Iowa brought pressure.
-DONU defense did nothing to create good field position for its offense in the second half, allowing Iowa to be extremely aggressive on defense, further limiting Smothers.
-None of the DONU skill players around Smothers (RB,WR,TE made a play in the second half)

But other than creating more than 80% of DONU total offensive yardage, Smothers was a complete failure that day......... :).

GBR

Smothers should have been used way more in 2022, at least as a wildcat QB last year. But our OC was a DOLT!

I expect to see Haarberg in short yardage/goal line wildcat, option for us this year. Should be highly successful. Big Ten version of Tim Tebow in this short yardage situation.
. I’m often amused at the excuses given to the crowd who were always calling for Smoothers over our other quarterbacks. For some reason the line, the coaches and the play calling were much worse when smoothers was in compared to when Martinez or CT where in.

Last edited:
I don’t give a damn who agrees. You can’t judge a kid seeing him one time. No one can. We saw how Martinez worked out. Frost wasn’t benching him for anything. Logan was a fairly highly rated recruit, so he is indeed a very good athlete. You, or any other fan can’t determine as much in one game. No way. And if you did, he did more good things than bad in that one game. You are just going on the word of Frost, which, as we’ve learned, has zero merit. As for the defense, they ran mostly the exact same thing with a different play caller. I’m not saying he would have been a great player, I’m saying we don’t freaking know. Who knows what he might have been? He never got a chance.
And yet you are judging Smoothers as a super, under rated, under utilized quarterback based on one game. Either you can or you can’t judge them on one game. Make up your mind.

1 game, every practice, 3 different HC's = not nearly enough to judge
2 games = plenty to know he's completely lost and can never play at this level.
I NEVER said Purdy couldn’t play at this level. Stop lying. The day he started for NU, was awful. Never once have I said the kid sucks, but that day, he was bad. If you don’t think he was lost that day, you should go watch it again. He didn’t know what to do. Never one time have I said Purdy should never play again, or have I judged him. He wasn’t ready for that spot, that day.

And yet you are judging Smoothers as a super, under rated, under utilized quarterback based on one game. Either you can or you can’t judge them on one game. Make up your mind.
Ok, now you are manipulating this. All I said is, based on what I’ve seen, you as well, I’d like to see more of him. Remember the two passes he put right on the money to Trey Palmer, both dropped, game over? Wasn’t his fault. I said he was a good athlete and fast. Hell, you can see it. I never said anything about him being a super QB. Based on what we all saw, it would have been nice to see some more. Pretty straight forward. The team sucked anyway. Again, I wish him well.

. I’m often amused at the excuses given to the crowd who were always calling for Smoothers over our other quarterbacks. For some reason the line, the coaches and the play calling were much worse when smoothers was in compared to when Martinez or CT where in.
Purdy was pretty poor last season.

46% comp %
3 INTs on 48 passing attempts
59.0 QB rating
73 yards rushing on 24 attempts

Smothers was better significantly in every one of those categories (except ironically rushing) on less attempts and fewer games played.

2AM and CT had lots of reps. Far more than LS.
They did have the same porous line.

This precisely the reason that I think HH has the least amount of high level reps and will need the most development through high level reps.

It is like getting to the MLB. You have to see the rotation and how it comes off the hand for 1000+ at bats before you start settling in. Same thing as throwing a guy open and seeing the coverage disguises or picking up a blitz to hit the hot man.

Chubba is going to need a lot of reps also because he is jumpy.

Seems like Rhule is going after guys with big arms to play with all the speed. Time will tell.

Thought I saw on some 247 page that James Carnie was in the portal. Does anyone know for certain?
Screenshot_20230427_215952_Chrome.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back