• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

SierraRed

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
5 Year Member
We are going to lose at least 20 current scholarship players to get down 85. How soon do we expect them to start? IIRC the transfer portal window closes this weekend, so I assume it will come quickly.

At least 20? I think 20 is close at this point but I don't think over that.

This coming week and into next.

you can add one, if we think were gonna get an addl OL from the portal to come in. its a dirty business now, proactively pushing kids out the door used to be the dirty business we left to the SEC and the old SWC, but now everyone is on a 1 yr scholarship it seems.

I thought we had to lose 17 to get to the limit.
I think that is about 13 now — according to the count on the numbers thread. And with NIL possibly available to match scholarship money for some folks, and scholarships available fo those who leave the program the first year of a new coach, we may well have fewer folks enter the portal than we have been assuming.

I think that is about 13 now — according to the count on the numbers thread. And with NIL possibly available to match scholarship money for some folks, and scholarships available fo those who leave the program the first year of a new coach, we may well have fewer folks enter the portal than we have been assuming.
Rhule seems to be a player’s coach, someone players want to play for … it may make guys like Haarberg think twice before leaving.

Unfortunately if you want to win against the power programs you have to use the same rules they do. I hope this year will be a one off where so many players had to be sent packing.

We are going to lose at least 20 current scholarship players to get down 85. How soon do we expect them to start? IIRC the transfer portal window closes this weekend, so I assume it will come quickly.

I've always heard 12 to get to 85 and a few more to make room for additional transfers. I can get to 97 off of the spring game roster (which excludes those who already are not coming back).

In terms of most of the older players, most of the low hanging fruit has already been harvested (into the portal or left the team). I think the lack of announcements, thus far and this close to the shutting of the portal door says that this may not be pretty.

So we may see ten go on to the academic continuation and no longer playing scholarship, but that won't be enough. Further, some of those have contributed on some level.

I've always heard 12 to get to 85 and a few more to make room for additional transfers. I can get to 97 off of the spring game roster (which excludes those who already are not coming back).

In terms of most of the older players, most of the low hanging fruit has already been harvested (into the portal or left the team). I think the lack of announcements, thus far and this close to the shutting of the portal door says that this may not be pretty.

So we may see ten go on to the academic continuation and no longer playing scholarship, but that won't be enough. Further, some of those have contributed on some level.
There is a loop hole to the numbers, I've seen Red Reign mention it. He'd have to be the one to explain it, I don't know all the specific details. But it sounded like if guys wanted to stay there was a way to get that done without forcing anyone to leave just to get to 85.

There is a loop hole to the numbers, I've seen Red Reign mention it. He'd have to be the one to explain it, I don't know all the specific details. But it sounded like if guys wanted to stay there was a way to get that done without forcing anyone to leave just to get to 85.
Per OWH:

A 112-word entry in the 452-page NCAA Division I Manual gives programs with new head coaches additional power to quickly remake their rosters. Known as 15.5.1.8 – or “Aid After Departure of Head Coach” – it allows first-year head coaches at a school to not invite an athlete back to the team but keep their scholarship as long as they stop playing and continue their academics. The athlete would then no longer count against a program’s total number.

Thanks to all for the updated count. I did not look at the other thread, but I had it in my head that we were 22 or 23 over. I'm glad it's not that high.

Yes, down to 13 remaining - 98 current on Scholarship, need to get to 85. Earlier in the year it was up to 103 or 104, but those few left prior to the Spring Game. Some could stay in school on Scholarship (new rule change for programs with new coaches), However additions could happen from the portal >>> could see 1 to 3 additions - DL, OL, WR.

Yes, down to 13 remaining - 98 current on Scholarship, need to get to 85. Earlier in the year it was up to 103 or 104, but those few left prior to the Spring Game. Some could stay in school on Scholarship (new rule change for programs with new coaches), However additions could happen from the portal >>> could see 1 to 3 additions - DL, OL, WR.
I'd say if the right player out of the portal showed interest and we could use him, they'd go after him. But I thought it was interesting after the spring game Rhule was asked about possible portal players and he said he wasn't paying that close of attention to that, he was just working with the players he had. Of course that could be coach speak, but I'm thinking it will take a special player for them to go too far into the portal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back