• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

S&C ??? Supplements

When I was in it 100%, I could never eat enough real food, strictly from a time standpoint, to hit my protein requirements and not cause another problem. Whey and Casein protein powders were a part of my overall meal/supplementation plan. This was fifteen to twenty years ago, but the same would hold true for me now.

Steak, fish, chicken, eggs, milk, peanut butter, almonds.....and protein powders. $1 scoop would replace a meal. Made sense to me then and makes sense to me now.
Yes! I worked 10-12 hours a day and still had to find time for 7 meals a day. I made it easy for myself: 4 meals and 3 shakes. I was taking in about 250g of protein daily. The caffeine and creatine helped a lot too.

Yes! I worked 10-12 hours a day and still had to find time for 7 meals a day. I made it easy for myself: 4 meals and 3 shakes. I was taking in about 250g of protein daily. The caffeine and creatine helped a lot too.

100% No way I'd have made it through that period in my life without protein supplementation. My days might have been 12-14 hours long on average and throw in a 3:30 AM workout and working six or seven days a week, meal prep was a pain. I didn't have space in my refrigerator to store 49 real food meals. I'd typically do something quick and easy for my pre gym, before the sun comes up meal. Oatmeal, peanut butter and egg whites, recovery shake post workout, real meal at 9, 12, 3, 6..ish with a casein shake before bed. I'd always keep protein powder and coconut milk at work for a 'just in case' meal if I could take the time to wolf down a grilled chicken breast, sweet potato and broccoli. Caffeine? Yeah, I'd have never made it to much less through a 3:30 workout without it.

These days I don't do any of the hyper caloric stuff, just try to make sure I get to the gym and eat decent.

1)Working out is still dumb
2)I'm incredibly saddened that my Shasta idea hasn't gotten more support

One of the juicers I used to work out with would always pound a handful of gummy bears and drink a full sugar coke after a workout. I think that would just have made me throw up. Especially on leg day.

100% No way I'd have made it through that period in my life without protein supplementation. My days might have been 12-14 hours long on average and throw in a 3:30 AM workout and working six or seven days a week, meal prep was a pain. I didn't have space in my refrigerator to store 49 real food meals. I'd typically do something quick and easy for my pre gym, before the sun comes up meal. Oatmeal, peanut butter and egg whites, recovery shake post workout, real meal at 9, 12, 3, 6..ish with a casein shake before bed. I'd always keep protein powder and coconut milk at work for a 'just in case' meal if I could take the time to wolf down a grilled chicken breast, sweet potato and broccoli. Caffeine? Yeah, I'd have never made it to much less through a 3:30 workout without it.

These days I don't do any of the hyper caloric stuff, just try to make sure I get to the gym and eat decent.
I use one plant based shake that has pea protein and greens in the morning with creatine. It's very convenient for early mornings. I don't usually have a huge appetite early anyway so it's an easy low calorie source.

Sometimes I will add powder peanut butter to it or some days I'll do a smoothie with the powder peanut butter later in the day.

That's about the only supplementation I'll use.

When I'm really on point with my diet I'll try to find easy ways to add a little more protein here and there that aren't super high calorie. Things like a low fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. A small cup of tuna. A glass of unsweetened soy milk or two.

That stuff really adds up quickly.

The Little House on the Prairie professional disagrees with you!!!

Now go eat some more meat!

I kid I kid

I use one plant based shake that has pea protein and greens in the morning with creatine. It's very convenient for early mornings. I don't usually have a huge appetite early anyway so it's an easy low calorie source.

Sometimes I will add powder peanut butter to it or some days I'll do a smoothie with the powder peanut butter later in the day.

That's about the only supplementation I'll use.

When I'm really on point with my diet I'll try to find easy ways to add a little more protein here and there that aren't super high calorie. Things like a low fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. A small cup of tuna. A glass of unsweetened soy milk or two.

That stuff really adds up quickly.

The plant based protein powders all seem to have unwanted digestive issues for me. I haven't tried the new beef based protein powders and doubt I will. I don't have any issues with milk based products, so whey and casein work great for me.

Ditto. I'll also add peanut butter to greek yogurt. Canned tuna a tend to avoid.

You're right in that I can get up to around 200 grams of protein in day fairly easily. If I subtract the whey and casein, it becomes harder and more expensive, but it's not impossible to be sure.

The plant based protein powders all seem to have unwanted digestive issues for me. I haven't tried the new beef based protein powders and doubt I will. I don't have any issues with milk based products, so whey and casein work great for me.

Ditto. I'll also add peanut butter to greek yogurt. Canned tuna a tend to avoid.

You're right in that I can get up to around 200 grams of protein in day fairly easily. If I subtract the whey and casein, it becomes harder and more expensive, but it's not impossible to be sure.
I can do skim milk, whey, and low fat dairy in moderation but begin to have digestive issues with too much.

Soy milk, edamame, and tofu has been a big bonus for me. There were beliefs that soy dropped testosterone levels up to just a few years ago. But that has since been debunked. I try not to go crazy with it still but it's a complete protein, low in calories, and very healthy overall.

I find frozen bags of shelled edamame that have about 40 grams of protein to around 30ish carbs. I'll toss that stuff in a chilli, stew, or basically any dish that you can use it in easily.

Other days if I have time to prepare it I'll use tofu in certain dishes. They may have meat as well. Sometimes it might be all plant based. Just depends.

If I don't do either of the above I'll just drink about three glasses of unsweetened soy milk during the day. That's about 30 grams for a relatively small amount of calories.

I can do skim milk, whey, and low fat dairy in moderation but begin to have digestive issues with too much.

Soy milk, edamame, and tofu has been a big bonus for me. There were beliefs that soy dropped testosterone levels up to just a few years ago. But that has since been debunked. I try not to go crazy with it still but it's a complete protein, low in calories, and very healthy overall.

I find frozen bags of shelled edamame that have about 40 grams of protein to around 30ish carbs. I'll toss that stuff in a chilli, stew, or basically any dish that you can use it in easily.

Other days if I have time to prepare it I'll use tofu in certain dishes. They may have meat as well. Sometimes it might be all plant based. Just depends.

If I don't do either of the above I'll just drink about three glasses of unsweetened soy milk during the day. That's about 30 grams for a relatively small amount of calories.

It's all about what works for each of us.

For me, pushing 60 years old, I do what I do and am able to keep my blood work in a much better place than people half my age, maintain muscle mass and strength and keep my BF down around 13-14% without much effort. I spend less money than many on food/supplementation and still enjoy what I'm eating, unless the wife buys barramundi.

I'll take it.

No whey!

I'd wrap my elbows with an ace bandage (very tight) so they wouldn't hurt. Then I would take 6 Advil, workout for 3 or 4 hours, take the wraps off, down another couple Advil with a six pack or so of Budweiser.

Repeat the next day.

Don't do what I did.

Over 60 and one of the invoices you receive is from the piper.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back