• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA announces new waiver guidelines for multi-time transfers

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Big update to the portal rules.

Players may still make a one-time transfer without penalty. The standard process for Juco and Grad Transfers appears to remain unchanged, so teams can still load up on Junior College players or grab an early graduate for a 1-and-done like Russell Wilson did at Wisconsin.

If students have used up their transfer already, waivers may be considered for the following situations:
  • Student's physical or mental well-being
  • Exigent circumstances outside the student control (physical or sexual assault, discrimination, etc.)
  • Diagnosed learning disabilities (dyslexia, etc.)

Waivers will be denied for the following reasons:
  • Degree / School doesn't meet the student's academic expectations
  • Changing majors
  • Lack of playing time
  • Change of position on the team
  • Changes in the terms of the athlete's scholarship
  • Coaching changes

Fr3lq4VWAAQnnHS

Last edited:

This basically eliminates the Free Agency or NIL shopping aspect from the portal. Players can still jump once without penalty, but gone is the idea that a kid could sign with Penn State, then get an NIL deal at USC (Sophomore) and then get a better NIL deal at Alabama (Jr-Sr).

The onus is now on the student to establish some kind of medical issue or life hardship (abuse, etc) for a second transfer. A guy like Luke McCaffrey would have been stuck at Louisville, and not gone onto Rice. 99% of these kids aren't going to the NFL. If you're already third-string and losing playing time on your current team, it's twisted logic to think you're gonna somehow make it to "the league" by hopping around to 2 more schools and wind up as the starting QB at Ball State or dropping to FCS.

I really like that it specifically calls out things like lack of playing time, position changes, coaching changes, etc. Take a guy like Bobby Newcombe, for example, who was absolutely instrumental for Nebraska even after losing the QB job to Crouch. In 2023, that type of guy just portals around trying to strike it rich somewhere. Maybe once in a generation you get some last-round draftee like Tom Brady, but that's such a statistical exception that any kid would be an idiot to believe they could follow that same path.

Last edited:
Some of this is be careful what you wish for … kids are asking for more freedom, more money, more decision making authority.

Well if you want a seat at the adult table, be prepared to get treated like an adult.

I still think players will attempt to circumvent the situation … ala Justin Fields and his UGA to tOSU move.

Student's mental well being can be a pretty broad category, so I'm sure they will still find a way.
Either that or find a doctor that will diagnose a learning disability.

I totally agree. There's always a loophole. But we've just made it a little harder to exploit. There are a lot of kids who probably don't have the gumption to actually find a doctor and "diagnose" a learner disorder.

Ironically, those kids -- the ones who want to transfer away from their problems, but lack the ingenuity to make said transfer possible -- are exactly the kind of kids who need to ride the pine a bit and build up some character.

Last edited:
This basically eliminates the Free Agency or NIL shopping aspect from the portal. Players can still jump once without penalty, but gone is the idea that a kid could sign with Penn State, then get an NIL deal at USC (Sophomore) and then get a better NIL deal at Alabama (Jr-Sr).

The onus is now on the student to establish some kind of medical issue or life hardship (abuse, etc) for a second transfer. A guy like Luke McCaffrey would have been stuck at Louisville, and not gone onto Rice. 99% of these kids aren't going to the NFL. If you're already third-string and losing playing time on your current team, it's twisted logic to think you're gonna somehow make it to "the league" by hopping around to 2 more schools and wind up as the starting QB at Ball State or dropping to FCS.

I really like that it specifically calls out things like lack of playing time, position changes, coaching changes, etc. Take a guy like Bobby Newcombe, for example, who was absolutely instrumental for Nebraska even after losing the QB job to Crouch. In 2023, that type of guy just portals around trying to strike it rich somewhere. Maybe once in a generation you get some last-round draftee like Tom Brady, but that's such a statistical exception that any kid would be an idiot to believe they could follow that same path.
How would this have made a difference in your Bobby Newcombe example? Players are still allowed one free transfer. So under these rules why couldn’t he be gone?

The change doesn’t seem very impactful. It’s really just saying you can only be at two schools without sitting out, 3 if you graduate. Plus the exceptions. How many double undergrad transfers are there really? Oliver Martin is about all I can think of for NU. This seems like a minor impact on the portal, particularly when these 6th covid year players are done.

How would this have made a difference in your Bobby Newcombe example? Players are still allowed one free transfer. So under these rules why couldn’t he be gone?

The change doesn’t seem very impactful. It’s really just saying you can only be at two schools without sitting out, 3 if you graduate. Plus the exceptions. How many double undergrad transfers are there really? Oliver Martin is about all I can think of for NU. This seems like a minor impact on the portal, particularly when these 6th covid year players are done.

I think with the evolution of NIL, this effectively eliminates "NCAA Free Agency." Take a hotshot recruit like Dylan Raiola. He could play at Nebraska as a freshman, then get some ridiculous NIL deal for USC as a sophomore, flip to Ohio State as a junior, and then down to Georgia as a senior.

That's an extreme scenario, but it helps curb the pay-for-play stuff quite a bit. Sort of a "fool me once, fool me twice," thing. You can jump schools once, but be careful what you wish for. You're not guaranteed a second jump.

I think these are good changes. Of course there’s still loopholes, but they just got smaller. I’m not opposed to the transfer portal, nor to NIL, but there had to be a limit on constantly transferring to a new team, especially with NIL added to the mix.

Last edited:
Mental health and well being is the catch all that those intent on transferring can use. It's too sensitive of a topic for the NCAA to scrutinize a player's sincerity.

Some of this is be careful what you wish for … kids are asking for more freedom, more money, more decision making authority.

Well if you want a seat at the adult table, be prepared to get treated like an adult.

I still think players will attempt to circumvent the situation … ala Justin Fields and his UGA to tOSU move.
What was Georgia thinking? They weren’t that good at QB when he was there. He could have jump started them sooner than they did. They had ok play at QB, but they had no one like Fields.

I don’t like the transfer rhule at all. Too much tampering, even more so now with NIL. Make a better decision in the first place. I think they should have to sit for a year. Make you think a little harder. Money is legally involved now, so hell no.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back