• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

More realignment details emerge: B1G originally wanted USC + Oregon

So no more Oklahoma States, TCUs, or North Carolinas? TCU just played in a NC. OSU is among the top 10 winningest programs over the last 15 years. Baylor was in the top 5 in 2021.

Who picks the winners and losers, and based on what criteria?
OU or the SEC wasn't willing to stick their necks out for OSU, why would the BIG.

We talk about how bad the revenue disparity between 2nd and 3rd is going to be going forward. We don't mention how much bigger it can be.

And maybe a lower tiered league isn't such a bad thing. Set rules to stop the arms race and be competitive with lower revenue. Make it more like the college football we loved and let the two leagues keep upping the cost to compete.

OU or the SEC wasn't willing to stick their necks out for OSU, why would the BIG.

We talk about how bad the revenue disparity between 2nd and 3rd is going to be going forward. We don't mention how much bigger it can be.

And maybe a lower tiered league isn't such a bad thing. Set rules to stop the arms race and be competitive with lower revenue. Make it more like the college football we loved and let the two leagues keep upping the cost to compete.
But Appalachian State......

Big 10 wigs ...... maybe delayed release. Added Oregon and Washington? 18 teams .... becomes a Super B1G Conference.

Right now 16 teams. Need to add empty cells ....

BIzjHG2.png

Last edited:

Yeah but OSU’s national viewership is quite close to Nebraska’s. I don’t know what gives anyone the right to shut out 40-or-so programs that have been consistently in the conversation of college football for a long time - many of which in the NC conversation. I find that proposal arrogant, greedy, and repulsive.

I recall a whole bunch of big games over the last 20 years - including New Years Day bowls - involving Stanford, Arizona, OSU, Baylor, Wake, Boise, Cincy, UCF, TCU, etc.

All while DONU, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc., have been complete nothing burgers.

If a bunch of schools are suddenly excluded because a couple of power-mongering conferences say so, I can see a US Supreme Court case on the horizon, and it probably should be.

Last edited:
Yeah but OSU’s national viewership is quite close to Nebraska’s. I don’t know what gives anyone the right to shut out 40-or-so programs that have been consistently in the conversation of college football for a long time - many of which in the NC conversation. I find that proposal arrogant, greedy, and repulsive.

I recall a whole bunch of big games over the last 20 years - including New Years Day bowls - involving Stanford, Arizona, OSU, Baylor, Wake, Boise, Cincy, UCF, TCU, etc.

All while DONU, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc., have been complete nothing burgers.

If a bunch of schools are suddenly excluded because a couple of power-mongering conferences say so, I can see a US Supreme Court case on the horizon, and it probably should be.
So let’s breakup Amazon because they dominate online retail. Tell me what does Stanford, Arizona, OkState, Baylor, Wake, Boise, Cincy, UCF and TCU really bring to college football? They are not national TV rating draws, they have nothing but a regional following and they don’t even sell out their own stadiums.

There’s more than having the occasional on field success. How many NCs do those 9 programs have? What do they contribute TO college football? Nebraska due to its fan support, due to its investment INTO the program, due legacy that dates back almost 100 years brings value TO college football.

If Cincy falls back because Fickel has left them … then they’re nothing but another ho hum program. DONUs on field success since 2001 has sucked but we still sellout stadiums, we bring eyeballs to TV and we still invest in the program.

OkState, TCU, Baylor, Stanford and Arizona are so important that the standard bearers (USC, Texas, Oklahoma) in their respective conferences have chosen to forgo those relationships for the larger super-conferences that will benefit them more than maintaining those relationships.

Yes, what does Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc have that some of the other programs mentioned don’t have … location, relationships, leadership and maybe just a little luck.

Based on your logic Doane College should sue the NCAA for excluding them, maybe Wayne State should apply to the Big Ten? If the B1G and SEC chooses to leave because they don’t want to share the pie with schools, who more often than not are holding their hands out for what the big schools are going to do for them and schools that do very little to help out the B1G and SEC … I say good for them!

Last edited:
So let’s breakup Amazon because they dominate online retail. Tell me what does Stanford, Arizona, OSU, Baylor, Wake, Boise, Cincy, UCF and TCU really bring to college football? They are not national TV rating draws, they have nothing but a regional following and they don’t even sell out their own stadiums.

There’s more than having the occasional on field success. How many NCs do those 9 programs have? What do they contribute TO college football? Nebraska due to its fan support, due to its investment INTO the program, due legacy that dates back almost 100 years brings value TO college football.

If Cincy falls back because Fickel has left them … then they’re nothing but another ho hum program. DONUs on field success since 2001 has sucked but we still sellout stadiums, we bring eyeballs to TV and we still invest in the program.

Yes, what does Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc have that some of the other programs mentioned don’t have … location, relationships, leadership and maybe just a little luck.

Based on your logic Doane College should sue the NCAA for excluding them, maybe Wayne State should apply to the Big Ten? If the B1G and SEC chooses to leave because they don’t want to share the pie with schools, who more often than not are holding their hands out for what the big schools are going to do for them and schools that do very little to help out the B1G and SEC … I say good for them!
Again,dont forget App St

I realize from your previous posts that you hate the BIG and want us back in the BIG 12 so you can load up the family truckster and attend games in Waco, Lubbock and Stillwater but those days are over and not coming back my friend. TO moved us to the BIG to protect our future Money wise and overall Educationally. I am not the biggest fan of all the changes either but nobody asked myself or any regular fan out there. I also don't believe the Supreme Court is becoming involved in Conference realignment anytime soon

No one is really excluding anyone right now or in the near term. That's certainly not the case with playoff expansion. The courts have no say in whether a conference chooses to invite certain schools or not.

The separating factor will end up being money. But there's a huge gap now and lesser resourced schools still compete to a large degree. But I think it's a bit of a premature assumption that all of the current P5 schools will continue to try to remain at the most exclusive level of competition long term.

Revenue sharing with student athletes is coming. There's no way around that. Once that happens and the dust begins to settle from it, we may see a number of Big 12 schools choose to no longer try to compete with the richest programs. Same for a number of ACC and Pac 12 schools. And we might even see a couple of SEC or Big Ten schools essentially opt out.

That may or may not happen. I think it's yet to be determined. But revenue sharing will occur. It will eventually be difficult for a number of P5 schools to compete with a top layer of about 45-50 programs. That doesn't mean they will neccesarily be excluded from the playoffs though.

IMO, I think we're in the early stages of a paradigm shift in the competitive nature of the sport. We've been in a period of an extreme lack of parity at the very top of the sport but greater overall parity throughout the rest of FBS.

I believe that is going to flip flop. I think we'll see more parity and competition at the very top of the sport. I think more teams are going to compete for championships in the near future. But I think we're going to see a reversal to where there is less parity between the wealthier big brand programs and most of everyone else.

No one is really excluding anyone right now or in the near term. That's certainly not the case with playoff expansion. The courts have no say in whether a conference chooses to invite certain schools or not.

The separating factor will end up being money. But there's a huge gap now and lesser resourced schools still compete to a large degree. But I think it's a bit of a premature assumption that all of the current P5 schools will continue to try to remain at the most exclusive level of competition long term.

Revenue sharing with student athletes is coming. There's no way around that. Once that happens and the dust begins to settle from it, we may see a number of Big 12 schools choose to no longer try to compete with the richest programs. Same for a number of ACC and Pac 12 schools. And we might even see a couple of SEC or Big Ten schools essentially opt out.

That may or may not happen. I think it's yet to be determined. But revenue sharing will occur. It will eventually be difficult for a number of P5 schools to compete with a top layer of about 45-50 programs. That doesn't mean they will neccesarily be excluded from the playoffs though.

IMO, I think we're in the early stages of a paradigm shift in the competitive nature of the sport. We've been in a period of an extreme lack of parity at the very top of the sport but greater overall parity throughout the rest of FBS.

I believe that is going to flip flop. I think we'll see more parity and competition at the very top of the sport. I think more teams are going to compete for championships in the near future. But I think we're going to see a reversal to where there is less parity between the wealthier big brand programs and most of everyone else.
I understand the argument of the cost of trying to keep up … but what is the cost of not keeping up? St Peter’s, Fairleigh Dickinson, VCU, Florida Gulf Coast, UMBC has seen enrollment inquiries reach all time highs when their schools shock the world in the NCAA basketball tournament. Do you think Alabama regrets their investment in Nick Saban?

St Thomas of Minnesota has a strategic plan of getting an invite to the Big East, they are openly courting a move from D3 to P6 D1 in less than a decade. They know the visibility and inclusion means a higher profile and more overall success than not being included.

If I’m OkState, TCU, Baylor, Wake, Boise … I’m doing whatever I can to be on the train that gets invited to the party and not on the outside looking in. How they make that happens is another thing.

So little ole Nebraska with Omaha which ranks 58th in the US, while Portland which is 25th and Seattle which is 15th.

Point is … it’s not about media markets … it is about national brands, viewer interests and less about securing TV markets. No one cares about the Pacific Northwest … both brands are respectable brands but they are accretive to the media rights deal the B1G has in place.
True. It comes down to brands and eyeballs. Portland and Seattle could generate a lot more revenue if a significant portion of its people didn’t look like they walked right out of a Portlandia episode.

I understand the argument of the cost of trying to keep up … but what is the cost of not keeping up? St Peter’s, Fairleigh Dickinson, VCU, Florida Gulf Coast, UMBC has seen enrollment inquiries reach all time highs when their schools shock the world in the NCAA basketball tournament. Do you think Alabama regrets their investment in Nick Saban?

St Thomas of Minnesota has a strategic plan of getting an invite to the Big East, they are openly courting a move from D3 to P6 D1 in less than a decade. They know the visibility and inclusion means a higher profile and more overall success than not being included.

If I’m OkState, TCU, Baylor, Wake, Boise … I’m doing whatever I can to be on the train that gets invited to the party and not on the outside looking in. How they make that happens is another thing.
St Thomas enrollment has exploded is why.

And their plan to keep growing not only their enrollment but including institutional profile is raising the profile of their athletic programs.
They basically had to leave Div 3 they grew so fast and big.
One of my kids was a Johnny

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back