• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

More realignment details emerge: B1G originally wanted USC + Oregon

I don’t know why the B1G doesn’t offer a bunch of schools, right now!

Offer Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Clemson, Miami, FSU, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Colorado and Notre Dame. We’re going to 28, the train is leaving the station, you can either get on or get lost.

Even if there are existing contracts, that’s fine, we’ll wait or help you get out of it, but once it’s done, you’re coming to the B1G.

Why pussyfoot around it? Build the biggest, strongest, national league and do it before the SEC can.

There a thousand reasons to not be concerned about that city.

With 2M+ population they’re 25th in the US but when’s the last time you‘ve heard about the Trail Blazers in the NBA? Football in the Northwest is not as revered as it is in the southeast or Midwest. It’s a dumpster fire of a city for reasons that should be shared in the Cafe.

It doesn’t bring you anything … Portland doesn’t get you Seattle (a U of Washington) town. Having to add Washington to get Oregon and vice-versa seems wasteful for a region that isn’t accretive to your media rights profile.

At the end of the day … TV is not about specific media markets but rather it is about eyeballs. National brands bring eyeballs beyond a specific media market.

“Getting” Portland doesn’t do anything for Fox Sports, CBS or ABC.

I believe the only Pac-12 school that consistently draws more viewers than Oregon is USC.

Oregon became a national brand over the past 20-25 years.

The Portland issues you mentioned likely have zero impact on viewers.

I believe the only Pac-12 school that consistently draws more viewers than Oregon is USC.

Oregon became a national brand over the past 20-25 years.

The Portland issues you mentioned likely have zero impact on viewers.
My reference to Portland was someone suggesting that the Portland media market (25th in the USA) was worth chasing … media markets aren’t what should be chased.

Someone else suggested USC and Oregon vs USC and UCLA … I would’ve been ok with that too. Oregon is a national brand but someone else also posted that despite everything Nebraska still outdrew Oregon … NU that has been on a 10-year hiatus.

Yes Oregon is a national brand … but definitely not more so than USC … maybe only marginally more than UCLA and apparently not as much as NU still.

Is UofO more national than Clemson (Carolina) or North Carolina or Georgia Tech or Miami or Tallahassee?

It’s only about eyeballs. Viewers. Advertising dollars. Those brands would bring, or take away, fairly close to what Nebraska does. Their viewerships are close.
And Nebraska in a twenty year drought still brings more eyeballs than UofO and Washington.

Offer Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Clemson, Miami, FSU, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Colorado and Notre Dame. We’re going to 28, the train is leaving the station, you can either get on or get lost.

Even if there are existing contracts, that’s fine, we’ll wait or help you get out of it, but once it’s done, you’re coming to the B1G.

Why pussyfoot around it? Build the biggest, strongest, national league and do it before the SEC can.

And then after you’re at 28 teams, you break it up into sub conferences. Back to where we started.

Why pussyfoot around it? Build the biggest, strongest, national lea mgue and do it before the SEC can.
The BIG and SEC have already put all of the pieces in place to break from the NCAA and host their own playoff and there is no financial incentive to invite more than a few teams and nobody is going to stop them. You think the money is big now, wait until they split the $2B+ playoff money across 40 teams.

Notre Dame is in. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Washington, and Oregon should be too. Toss in someone else for 2 40-team leagues. At that point can you legitimately claim that teams are left out of a championship.

Everyone else goes to a second their league, which maybe isn't such a bad thing. Take it back to more like it was before the crazy $$$ got involved.

The BIG and SEC have already put all of the pieces in place to break from the NCAA and host their own playoff and there is no financial incentive to invite more than a few teams and nobody is going to stop them. You think the money is big now, wait until they split the $2B+ playoff money across 40 teams.

Notre Dame is in. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Washington, and Oregon should be too. Toss in someone else for 2 40-team leagues. At that point can you legitimately claim that teams are left out of a championship.

Everyone else goes to a second their league, which maybe isn't such a bad thing. Take it back to more like it was before the crazy $$$ got involved.

So no more Oklahoma States, TCUs, or North Carolinas? TCU just played in a NC. OSU is among the top 10 winningest programs over the last 15 years. Baylor was in the top 5 in 2021.

Who picks the winners and losers, and based on what criteria?

Beginning to smell of relegation and promotion like in English soccer leagues if we go to huge conferences.

My reference to Portland was someone suggesting that the Portland media market (25th in the USA) was worth chasing … media markets aren’t what should be chased.
If that's true, how do you explain Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G?

And then after you’re at 28 teams, you break it up into sub conferences. Back to where we started.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

My point is the B1G is in position to control the whole damn thing right now. Just do it. And you make a good point about TCU and Baylor. Invite TCU, Baylor, OSU and SMU, take it to 32. Don't concede anything to the SEC. Be Churchill, not Chamberlain.

So no more Oklahoma States, TCUs, or North Carolinas? TCU just played in a NC. OSU is among the top 10 winningest programs over the last 15 years. Baylor was in the top 5 in 2021.

Who picks the winners and losers, and based on what criteria?
I'm picking the winners and losers. If you are in Texas, you lose. No matter what you do, you will still be Texased, and nothing will ever get rid of that stench.

If you are in a state that borders Texas, you lose too. Guilty by association. Sorry for New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. You should have picked a better neighborhood to live in.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

My point is the B1G is in position to control the whole damn thing right now. Just do it. And you make a good point about TCU and Baylor. Invite TCU, Baylor, OSU and SMU, take it to 32. Don't concede anything to the SEC. Be Churchill, not Chamberlain.
The problem with that is that the schools aren't going to give up money to just add a lot more teams, especially with direct compensation and revenue sharing on the way sooner or later.

The schools in the Big Ten and SEC might take a little bit less for a select few schools but not much.

Beginning to smell of relegation and promotion like in English soccer leagues if we go to huge conferences.
Not out of the realm of possibility for sure.

Or we may see a few schools elect to move down a level. UNC's AD previously has stated that we may eventually see schools keep some of their sports at one tier and others at other tiers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back