• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roundtable With Coach Osborne, AD Alberts & Coach Ruhle

"There's nothing worse than some guy who hasn't coached in 22 years..." -Tom Osborne. 22 Years, that means his last season was 2001? Was he secretly calling plays for Frankie?

Last edited:

That was an interesting conversation. It's still hard to believe he was putting in the work. The bigger takeaway for me was Mitch Sherman saying that they tried to write the definitive post-mortem on Scott Frost's reasons for failure and couldn't get anyone to go on record.
A lot of confliction imo. When someone has 'it', who is saying so? Are they looking at it from a high demand,varied,wider,much greater diversified pov?
Did SF himself,or will he at some point realize his approach was off and he becomes 'it' again?
We wont know,and is why that story likely never made print imo.
I'll argue for him as a top OC against any other with any one. But HC?

A lot of confliction imo. When someone has 'it', who is saying so? Are they looking at it from a high demand,varied,wider,much greater diversified pov?
Did SF himself,or will he at some point realize his approach was off and he becomes 'it' again?
We wont know,and is why that story likely never made print imo.
I'll argue for him as a top OC against any other with any one. But HC?
SF will never amount to anything in the coaching world again

He has never acknowledged his utter failure at Nebraska and is likely taking his ill gotten pay and drifting off into the sunset which is the best thing for the Huskers and any other college football program.

Great interview. I have said it before and will again. Coach Rhule seems sincere and maybe even blown away by Lincoln. I totally understand. As an outsider you are won over by the place and people. Husker fans took me in as an outsider and now I am one of you. I think he honors Coach Osborne. I think the guy gets it. Now I pray he returns us to sound, fundamental, physical football where the opponent acquiesces. If that happens, then keep the man happy.

GBR!

He has never acknowledged his utter failure at Nebraska and is likely taking his ill gotten pay and drifting off into the sunset which is the best thing for the Huskers and any other college football program.
I think that is a bit harsh.

As usual, the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

IMO, SF thought everything would just right itself, upon his arrival. Like Jesus walking on water, SF would fix all with his mere presence.

However, we know the problems with NU FB ran deep, and SF didn't apparently want to fix it. Just outscore everyone, and defensive and ST's lapses will go unnoticed. However, the margin for victory was much smaller than he anticipated.

I think that is a bit harsh.

As usual, the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

IMO, SF thought everything would just right itself, upon his arrival. Like Jesus walking on water, SF would fix all with his mere presence.

However, we know the problems with NU FB ran deep, and SF didn't apparently want to fix it. Just outscore everyone, and defensive and ST's lapses will go unnoticed. However, the margin for victory was much smaller than he anticipated.
Same make and model at UCF. Listening toTO on the Trev,MR,TO podcast, TO said the current Big is different than the old Big 8/12 where your defense will get worn out because if sustained long drives by opponents.
3 n outs plus quick scores doesnt give your D much of a chance in the 4th qtr unless you're scoring much more than they did. Like how we did Iowa

I have so much gratitude for Coach Osborne. I remember walking with him to the bus after our UCLA game. He’s had such an impact on my life, I’ll be forever grateful. I’m convinced there will never be another like him.
Seeing him age is painful. Seeing myself age is almost as bad.

GBR.

Maybe you're right. We'll see. In my opinion, that's a short-sighted take. People change. He'll emerge somewhere, someone will write the comeback story about him and who knows? Maybe he turns into a hot name again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back