• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PAC 12 meltdown

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Things are getting dicey for the Pac 12. It's mid February and still no media deal. Neither FOX nor ESPN are at the negotiating table; they don't need any more inventory. NBC is out. CBS is obviously out.

Amazon apparently is only interested in the Pac 12's top game of the week. That would be a streaming game, not on network.

This league is in real trouble. It appears they will be very lucky to get in the low $20s (million) per school for their new deal. That's $10 million less per year than the Big 12, the conference they are trying to keep up with.

For those that want two super conferences left since your team is already in one, things are inching closer. Sure is a lot of great college football history on the west coast besides USC and UCLA.

Oh well. Appears the monster will consume itself eventually.

Last edited:
I could very easily see the Big 12 poach several of the Pac 12 schools (Utah, Colorado, the Arizona schools) in order to shore up their membership. I can also see the Big 12 offering to swallow up the Pac 12 entirely.

If the Big Ten is considering expansion in the near to mid future, now is the time to push for some combination of Washington/Oregon/Stanford/Cal/Utah and a big push to get Notre Dame.

edit for typo

Last edited:
Pac 12 has a deal to get SMU and SDSU to replace the LA schools. Thinking that SMU deal is a good get as an entry into Big 12 Land

I could very easily see the Big 12 poach several of the Pac 12 schools (Utah, Colorado, the Arizona schools) in order to shore up their membership. I can also see the Big 12 offering to swallow up the Pac 12 entirely.

If the Big Ten is considering expansion in the near to mid future, now is the time to push for some combination of Washington/Oregon/Stanford/Cal/Utah and a big push to get Notre Dame.

edit for typo

The problem for Brett Yormark is that, if media says there is minimal value in the remaining PAC, it would then likely dilute the current Big 12 payouts substantially.

The programs don’t become worth more because they move to the Big 12, so it seems.

But your point is a good one. It might be a short term sacrifice/long term gain for the Big 12 to effectively consume the PAC. I would think all of those teams combined, representing the western half of the US, would provide the conference with some media leverage in the future.

Interesting times.

Pac 12 has a deal to get SMU and SDSU to replace the LA schools. Thinking that SMU deal is a good get as an entry into Big 12 Land

SMU is a desperation move, and I don’t see them getting approved by the PAC presidents. That’s probably the 7th choice for college football in Texas. If the PAC wanted Texas, they should have invited UTSA. They were one play from beating Texas last season.

SMU dilutes whatever the current PAC numbers are. That’s just awful. If the PAC wants to bring up G5s with a following, Boise, Fresno, and UNLV would be on my list, way above SMU.

Last edited:
SMU is a desperation move, and I don’t see them getting approved by the PAC presidents. That’s probably the 7th choice for college football in Texas. If the PAC wanted Texas, they should have invited UTSA. They were one play from beating Texas last season.

SMU dilutes whatever the current PAC numbers are. That’s just awful.
They could have gone with BSU which would have been good but never happened, who else is there? Baylor? Texas Tech? Playing SMU is easier for student than UCLA or USC going to Rutgers or Maryland.

The Pac 12 screwed the pooch with being on the West Coast for game timing and hiring that tennis bozo as their commish who got the really great tv with the PAC 12 Network that no one wanted to see late Saturday night. What they should have done was schedule Saturday morning games, or weeknight games which they did neither.

Time will tell if the Pac 12 can survive with out LA. Probably not and they best start thinking out of the box or they are toast. Merging with the Big 12 would be a good start

They could have gone with BSU which would have been good but never happened, who else is there? Baylor? Texas Tech? Playing SMU is easier for student than UCLA or USC going to Rutgers or Maryland.

The Pac 12 screwed the pooch with being on the West Coast for game timing and hiring that tennis bozo as their commish who got the really great tv with the PAC 12 Network that no one wanted to see late Saturday night. What they should have done was schedule Saturday morning games, or weeknight games which they did neither.

Time will tell if the Pac 12 can survive with out LA. Probably not and they best start thinking out of the box or they are toast. Merging with the Big 12 would be a good start

Yeah I don't think the Big 12 can afford to absorb them if they have very little media value remaining. The Big 12 is still going to distribute $31 million per school for linear, and another $18 or so for the miscellaneous. I wouldn't think those members would be up for a $10 million haircut plus having to share network time with another 10 schools. Not a value proposition.

The B1G stands at 16 schools with the addition of USC and UCLA.

If the Pac is ready to crumble, I'd push for Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Colorado to bring the conference to 20.

Screw the Irish. They're a big "get" but my gut tells me their arrogance is going to lead them into some hell hole ACC/Independent combo deal. The B1G-ND ship feels like it sailed a long time ago.

Last edited:
Got a decent source that says Oregon, UW, ASU, AZ, CO, and Utah headed to the Big 12.

Media is being negotiated, as well as a buyout clause for Oregon and UW if the Big 10 comes calling.

Big 12 also may be adding Gonzaga and other BB only school, with the goal of a separate media deal for basketball in 2031.

Last edited:

I wish the B1G would throw KU a bone and bring them into the conference. It would be huge for BB. I did undergrad at NU and grad at KU. It allows me to go from GBR in the fall to Rock Chalk Jayhawk in the winter!

I wish the B1G would throw KU a bone and bring them into the conference. It would be huge for BB. I did undergrad at NU and grad at KU. It allows me to go from GBR in the fall to Rock Chalk Jayhawk in the winter!

Yeah there are only a few teams in the Big 12 that wouldn’t actually dilute Big 10 payouts - TCU, Baylor, OSU, possibly Tech - and none of those are heading to the Big 10.

But top to bottom, the new Big 12 will easily be the country’s most entertaining conference. Just like in basketball, there’s not a week off in football. There are no Rutgers, Northwesterns, Cals, Vanderbilts on the schedule.

Although Houston might fill that role? ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back