• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

$$$ talks Sooners and Horns walk

A joint statement that said nothing other than it is a joint statement. When they announce SDSU or Fresno, or UNLV or SMU and/ or a media deal, then they will have something to say.

Interesting thoughts by Barry Switzer today on OU’s move to the SEC:

“I’m concerned. I want someone to raise their hand in a couple of years and say, ‘I’m the one who took us to the SEC.’ I don’t know who made the decision, how it was made or who was involved.”

“I’m concerned. I want someone to raise their hand in a couple of years and say, ‘I’m the one who took us to the SEC.’ I don’t know who made the decision, how it was made or who was involved.”
He said OU should be worried when they put the lipstick on Lewis Field and we still dominated them.

The newest joint statement from the Pac 12:

1676411889273.png

The Big Ten and the SEC are the future. The rest will be left behind. Everyone knows it, and the teams that have the ability to do so are making the leap.

The Big Ten and the SEC are the future. The rest will be left behind. Everyone knows it, and the teams that have the ability to do so are making the leap.

If we get down to the point where there are only 40 teams, most of them east of the Mississippi, the goose is dead. A Stanford graduate won't start suddenly following Penn State. He's now a former college football fan. College football has an enormous fan following because of the many schools, and passionate followers, across the country. Big schools, small schools, state schools, private schools, even the service academies.

Just because the B1G and SEC control a significant chunk of the college football market, doesn't mean there does not exist another significant chunk in other conferences. If you foreclose on everyone else, your viewership just got a whole lot smaller. If my team isn't a player any more, I don't care about any of it, and I quit watching.

A number of participants in the last several years' NY6 games were not of the B1G or SEC, including TCU in the national championship. Oklahoma State beat Notre Dame in the 2022 Fiesta. Baylor won the 22 Sugar. Are those programs out of the picture now, because they are in a non B1G/SEC conference? Careful what you wish for.

Greed kills.

Last edited:
If we get down to the point where there are only 40 teams, most of them east of the Mississippi, the goose is dead. A Stanford graduate won't start suddenly following Penn State. He's now a former college football fan. College football has an enormous fan following because of the many schools, and passionate followers, across the country. Big schools, small schools, state schools, private schools, even the service academies.

Just because the B1G and SEC control a significant chunk of the college football market, doesn't mean there does not exist another significant chunk in other conferences. If you foreclose on everyone else, your viewership just got a whole lot smaller. If my team isn't a player any more, I don't care about any of it, and I quit watching.

A number of participants in the last several years' NY6 games were not of the B1G or SEC, including TCU in the national championship. Oklahoma State beat Notre Dame in the 2022 Fiesta. Baylor won the 22 Sugar. Are those programs out of the picture now, because they are in a non B1G/SEC conference? Careful what you wish for.

Greed kills.
There are many what have you done for me lately fans of good teams that never show support unless their 'team' is contending for highest honors.
Many may find themselves not much better off than a good MAC team in attendance without all the hype and monies.
The true fans better show

Last edited:
There are many what have you done for me lately fans of good teams that never show support unless their 'team' is contending for highest honors.
Many may find themselves not much better off than a good MAC team in attendance without all the hype and monies.
The true fans better show

Truth is, most of college football fandom is made up of "fair weather" fans. Alabama wasn't exactly packing them in during the Mike Shula years. And proximity to familiar competition feeds that greatly. When Texas starts winning, suddenly half of the cars in Amarillo have a Texas stick on their car. But when they aren't playing Big 12 teams any further, that will diminish considerably. Amarillo had a huge number of Nebraska t-shirt fans in the '90s. Lincoln is about the same distance as Austin. I would say Nebraska was only behind UT, OU, and Tech in window stickers. I might see a Nebraska logo on the back of a car once a month here now.

It would be interesting to see viewership from Texas in Nebraska contests. My guess is that it is only a remnant of what it was back in the early 2000s.

Consolidation in college football could kill the goose.

Last edited:
Truth is, most of college football fandom is made up of "fair weather" fans. Alabama wasn't exactly packing them in during the Mike Shula years. And proximity to familiar competition feeds that greatly. When Texas starts winning, suddenly half of the cars in Amarillo have a Texas stick on their car. But when they aren't playing Big 12 teams any further, that will diminish considerably. Amarillo had a huge number of Nebraska t-shirt fans in the '90s. Lincoln is about the same distance as Austin. I would say Nebraska was only behind UT, OU, and Tech in window stickers. I might see a Nebraska logo on the back of a car once a month here now.

It would be interesting to see viewership from Texas in Nebraska contests. My guess is that it is only a remnant of what it was back in the early 2000s.

Consolidation in college football could kill the goose.
Who spends money every year? Buys those stickers? The bigger that number is, the more money.
Watching games is different, but guess who's likely to have more people watching?
I'm referring to teams that win 8 games a year yet no longer have the big conference monies, thus much fewer fair weather fans,TV and seats go empty.
People making money off those numbers will spend where they can make more.
Somewhere there's a solid line between hype and known quantities.
The carrots for both have been bunched up in fewer but larger bunches.

Who spends money every year? Buys those stickers? The bigger that number is, the more money.
Watching games is different, but guess who's likely to have more people watching?
I'm referring to teams that win 8 games a year yet no longer have the big conference monies, thus much fewer fair weather fans,TV and seats go empty.
People making money off those numbers will spend where they can make more.
Somewhere there's a solid line between hype and known quantities.
The carrots for both have been bunched up in fewer but larger bunches.

Good point. The big question is, IF it comes down to just the B1G and SEC, does their total viewership grow? Of course not. It shrinks. You’ve cut off kinship - the same division - with followers of every program except the ones in your comparatively small group.

On a smaller scale, consider when Nebraska was in the Big 12. In Amarillo, there were many that drove to Lincoln to see games. There were watch parties here. People were excited for Nebraska games. Why? Because Nebraska was in Big 12, and there was lots to banter about at the water cooler, as there are so many Big 12 graduates around here.

When Nebraska left, folks like me didn’t start supporting Texas or Tech; we just kind of lost interest altogether. NU isn’t even a passing thought here any more. Of course, NU probably offset this by gaining interest by fans in new areas.

Supporters of BYU, Arizona, Ok State, TCU, Stanford, Cincinnati, Oregon State, etc., are not going to convert to Big 10 viewers and start supporting some other school. They’ll lose interest and quit watching altogether, as their dog isn’t in the races any further.

So if the big two conferences foreclose big time college football, this effect happens on a large scale: folks outside of their foot print the two conferences won’t care any further. That’s a problem.

It is in EVERYONE’s best interests for all five of the P5s to thrive and do well, for the preservation of college football. The university presidents should keep the power mongering of their respective commissioners in check, as in the end, their conquests could destabilize and kill college football as we know it. It would be a shame for the whole thing to collapse due to one person’s self-serving ego, with everyone trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together after the commissioner rides off into the sunset with his fat 401K.

Yes, we need Nebraska, Alabama, and Texas in college football. We also need Wake Forest, Washington State, and Baylor in college football.

Last edited:

Good point. The big question is, IF it comes down to just the B1G and SEC, does their total viewership grow? Of course not. It shrinks. You’ve cut off kinship - the same division - with followers of every program except the ones in your comparatively small group.

On a smaller scale, consider when Nebraska was in the Big 12. In Amarillo, there were many that drove to Lincoln to see games. There were watch parties here. People were excited for Nebraska games. Why? Because Nebraska was in Big 12, and there was lots to banter about at the water cooler, as there are so many Big 12 graduates around here.

When Nebraska left, folks like me didn’t start supporting Texas or Tech; we just kind of lost interest altogether. NU isn’t even a passing thought here any more. Of course, NU probably offset this by gaining interest by fans in new areas.

Supporters of BYU, Arizona, Ok State, TCU, Stanford, Cincinnati, Oregon State, etc., are not going to convert to Big 10 viewers and start supporting some other school. They’ll lose interest and quit watching altogether, as their dog isn’t in the races any further.

So if the big two conferences foreclose big time college football, this effect happens on a large scale: folks outside of their foot print the two conferences won’t care any further. That’s a problem.

It is in EVERYONE’s best interests for all five of the P5s to thrive and do well, for the preservation of college football. The university presidents should keep the power mongering of their respective commissioners in check, as in the end, their conquests could destabilize and kill college football as we know it. It would be a shame for the whole thing to collapse due to one person’s self-serving ego, with everyone trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together after the commissioner rides off into the sunset with his fat 401K.

Yes, we need Nebraska, Alabama, and Texas in college football. We also need Wake Forest, Washington State, and Baylor in college football.
What I'm saying refers more to the PAC, supported by big cities but high lethargy. Losing the LA area hurts even the bandwagoner potential.
The Big 12 is more ingrained with higher amounts of dedicated fans.
A few years ago, someone pointed out how easy it was to get USC tickets on the cheap for all but the 'big' games.
Many venues havent grown in the Big, they've built within expectations.
Just being in the Big has benefitted the Purdues.

As for the game overall, I think the focus may shift where OOC games with the remaining conferences will be elevated.
Nebraska is unique in which we played anybody anywhere, not so for the vast majority of schools.
That alone expanded our brand, I expect to see more of that by other schools now, not less.
Like they say, you're in a smaller conference/school, follow the money.
It's always been this way, and its benefitted us

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back