• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offense - what if you could decide

I want an offense that's very different from what we've watched the past 20 years!! I want an offense that actually scores lots of points and doesn't turn the ball over. Whatever offense Coach Rhule can install that does that I'm all N!

Whatever offense fits his personnel.

I think his players will be aggressive, not passive - that's key. I think they will be situationally smart - that's also key. And I think they will not be a turnover team or a penalty ridden team. I want the team to be coached by a coach that doesn't ignore what's going on in the game and knows clock management to avoid stupid end of period mistakes.

After that, I would like to see them having the appropriate balance between running and passing depending upon the situation. I don't want them to be so wedded to a system that they can't change to a different one at halftime if that is appropriate.

Man, if this is pie in the sky stuff, then I'd love to see Osborne's offense. When that thing was humming it was so fun to watch. More fun than the west coast or any other thing. So I guess I'd say I'd like to see the modern day equivalent. To me that's a power run game sprinkled with some option here and there, but with a mix of speed and brawn on the outside and a QB who is a threat with his legs and arm. I know that's a tall ask but that's what I'd "like to see."
One of the great things about this is that the QB doesn't have to possess pinpoint accuracy when you're punishing people on the ground. They have to start cheating to stop the run, opening up play action over the top to wide open receivers. The QB just needs to get it close for the most part.

I'm hoping for a power style run game that can be used when needed to hold up time of possession while being able to spread it out and have quick type drives for scores.. I would say like OSU from a couple of years ago had that combo, i think Michigan lacks that a little.. Bama has it..

I want the Philadelphia Eagles offense. Would be nice to have their o-line as well.
just kelce. Thats all we need. That man is an anchor and I just watched a rewind of where he moved the entire 49ers dline by himself. (ok, thats a little exaggerated)

I want a return to power I formation to setup play action/pass. Throw some Diamond formation (sam bradford/OU) pistol offense in as well. And some zone-read. It would be great to effectively run and pass out of all 3 sets.

just kelce. Thats all we need. That man is an anchor and I just watched a rewind of where he moved the entire 49ers dline by himself. (ok, thats a little exaggerated)

I want a return to power I formation to setup play action/pass. Throw some Diamond formation (sam bradford/OU) pistol offense in as well. And some zone-read. It would be great to effectively run and pass out of all 3 sets.

Jason Kelce is a surefire Hall of Famer. And ranked as the #2 center in the NFL this season. Bring him aboard!

But the best lineman on the Eagles is Lane Johnson.

• Lane Johnson didn’t allow a sack or a hit all season long and surrendered a total of just nine hurries across 551 pass-blocking snaps.

But you really can't go wrong with any of 'em.

• Eagles go wire to wire in offensive line rankings: After ranking No. 1 in the preseason, Philadelphia's line never gave up its top spot this season.

I want the Philadelphia Eagles offense. Would be nice to have their o-line as well.
FB_IMG_1675542164615.jpg

I really like this post. I’ve been mulling it over quite a bit.

As a child of the 80s, I want the triple option. But if I had to design my own offense, I’d probably go with the 70s Raiders. Student body left, student body right, play action and have the fastest guy on my team run as deep as the qb can throw it.

That said, the most enjoyable offense I ever watched was the first half of Taylor Martinez’s freshman season. I’ve never seen anyone who can put a foot in the ground and get upfield as fast as he could. There are so many “what ifs” in Nebraska football. What if Barry Sanders is a Husker (TO has another NC). What if Burrow is recruited, what if Texas doesn’t get an extra second, what if TO doesn’t retire? God, I love those. It should be its own thread.

What if Taylor Martinez is 100% healthy his entire career? That’s at least one more win a year right.

Back to the original question. Run what you have the personnel for. I don’t care what it looks like. Just win baby.

Last edited:

I’m a huge fan of what we were doing in the early 2010s. Dual threat QB with a stable of “dawgs” in the backfield and an o-line that liked to control the line of scrimmage.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back