• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whitney Lauenstein retiring from volleyball

Best to Whitney. She was thrilling to watch and will be greatly missed. But, as John Cook says, her life and well-being are so much more important than volleyball. Thanks to her for giving us fans all that she did.

Last edited:

We all knew this was coming, but it still sucks to see it. I was kind of hoping she might just take some time off and maybe come back to the team at some point, but from her comments it sounds like she is done with volleyball.

Thanks, Whitney, for being a great Husker competitor, and good luck with the next chapter of your life.
Yeah it's too bad! But life happens and I sure hope she can process through the grief!

Is there more to it than her dad passing away, which is horrible, just seems like there is more. Hope for the best with her.

Sorry to hear about her father. Also sorry she will not be continuing volleyball at Nebraska. She was a great team mate. Prayers for her family.
I am not sure that she is quitting volleyball permanently. Of course, I don't have any inside information, but it would not surprise me if she becomes part of another team at some point.

Is there more to it than her dad passing away, which is horrible, just seems like there is more. Hope for the best with her.
I kind of wondered that since he passed away 2 years ago. But then death of a parent can be hard on someone when they are not around family a lot.

I am not sure that she is quitting volleyball permanently. Of course, I don't have any inside information, but it would not surprise me if she becomes part of another team at some point.
Her comments seemed to suggest that she was done with volleyball, but who knows? She was a starter here and Nebraska was her dream school, so it is hard to imagine her playing somewhere else. I would guess if she wanted to come back coach Cook would find room for her. She is a great player and a great athlete.

Her comments seemed to suggest that she was done with volleyball, but who knows? She was a starter here and Nebraska was her dream school, so it is hard to imagine her playing somewhere else. I would guess if she wanted to come back coach Cook would find room for her. She is a great player and a great athlete.
Agreed! She may be done, but it won’t surprise me if she changes her mind.

Agreed! She may be done, but it won’t surprise me if she changes her mind.
I just watched the latest episode of "Kicking back with the Cooks" and coach Cook said that Whitney Lauenstein told him that she was done with volleyball. So, it sounds like Whitney is completely done with the sport. If she decides she wants to come back to play it will have to happen soon because her 5-year clock started in 2021.

Losing a parent affects so many in so many different ways. Let's hope she gets thru this quickly. Good luck in your future endeavors, Whitney. Hope you change your mind and return to Husker volleyball.
Does anyone know if she will stay in school? Doesn't sound like it, does it? Anyone have that info?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back