• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Florida NIL Problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 9019
  • Start date
Great idea, lead by example... you first, I'll follow.

I'm actually completely fine with players making as much as they possibly can. I'll change my mind when we stop spending tens of millions on coaches and hundreds of millions on facilities.

I'm not leaving the sport. I'm simply encouraging those who complain about the money yet feed the piggy bank to stop their support.

The "college spirit" is already gone. I could argue it's long gone.

The collapse started when demand resulted in every game being televised, which brought in huge TV money -- many times more than 20+ years ago. That resulted in coaches making many times more. From a couple hundred thousand in 1990 to $5-10 million in 2023. That was the beginning of the end.

Scott Frost made $40 million for coaching Nebraska to a bunch of losses. No "college spirt" in that; it smells like the NFL.

Yes -- I agree -- as I said, the best way to kill the financial momentum of the sport is to stop spending money on it -- tickets, concessions, souvenirs, even just watching on TV to feed the advertisers -- that needs to stop. Whining about players making too much while still supporting the sport financially is counterproductive.

Reality is, there will likely be enough people with enough money to keep it going. The stadium will be a reduced capacity, and tickets will be much pricier before the end of this decade.

Fans pay big money for seat licenses and tickets to NFL games -- so why wouldn't they spend money for the college game which is already nothing like it was last century? The college spirit is dead. Sure, it'll weed out some income levels from attending, and the fan base will become increasingly corporate and white collar. Some fans decided that long ago. My grandparents gave up their long-time season tickets in the 90s when Bill Byrne jacked prices to allow for Nebraska to build the facilities necessary to compete in the increasingly costly sport. I know of quite a few others who did the same. The sport will continue to get more expensive, and more and more fans will be weeded out. Many fans were outpriced years ago.

I think some fans are grasping at a fantasy that college football is somehow still an amateur sport. It's already big business. That won't change. College football is much closer to the NFL than the game it was when Osborne was coaching. That goose won't die -- it's a different goose. The original goose died 20+ years ago. We seem okay with paying coaches tens of millions -- and the hundreds of millions needed to continually upgrade facilities -- again, a long ways from when I was a kid growing up in Nebraska.

Absolutely spot on.

I personally love seeing donor money go to players rather than facilities. I truly feel better about it this way. They always felt borrowed before while everyone else around them raked in billions. This is more ethical and honest in terms of their rights and market value.

Absolutely spot on.

I personally love seeing donor money go to players rather than facilities. I truly feel better about it this way. They always felt borrowed before while everyone else around them raked in billions. This is more ethical and honest in terms of their rights and market value.

Look at all this money. It's literally gone everywhere but to the athletes the fans pay to see. This number has been growing significantly for a long time with no end to that momentum in sight. It's pro sports, people -- and it has been for a while.

1673846515418.png

Look at all this money. It's literally gone everywhere but to the athletes the fans pay to see. This number has been growing significantly for a long time with no end to that momentum in sight. It's pro sports, people -- and it has been for a while.

View attachment 93028
You do realize this is not the NFL where this is divided by 32 teams. It is divided to varying degrees by over 300 teams. This is the NCAA as a whole not per team. That being said most do not have an issue with kids being paid. Just that the amounts went crazy too quickly.

So the haves and have nots will quickly get out of hand.

View attachment 93028
There are a lot of athletes in sports that operate in the red that the money supports.

Always a fun topic to talk about. It seems like the general consensus is we all see (and have been watching) the train hauling flaming dumpsters picking up speed before it crashes. NIL is going to keep getting more inflated, Transfer Portal will continue to grow as a Free Agency tool for players.

I agree in spirit that players should get NIL, however I still would rather see donor money going to infrastructure. Infrastructure benefits more students and fans and is fixed for the long term versus NIL that can walk out the door the next season. BUT, got to keep up with the NIL game and keep funding the beast until the rules change. "Don't hate the NIL player, hate the NIL game."l

So, what can make it worse, aka add another flaming dumpster and speed to the train? My guess is if Unions enter college sports. You can bet Unions see a massive membership drive of an untapped base to feed off a new host.

What can make it better? Some sort of player contract: break the contract, return the money. Keep Unions out.

FoxNews - Sat 01/14. 4* QB recruit commitment to Univ FL. Agrees/signs a $12M NIL offer from a Gator collective.
Now it appears the $12M isn't available and the collective is trying to re-negotiate. This won't be the 1st time something like this happens.
It simply cannot be true that a recruit is given or even promised 12 million dollars. I refuse to believe it’s gotten to this level.

Always a fun topic to talk about. It seems like the general consensus is we all see (and have been watching) the train hauling flaming dumpsters picking up speed before it crashes. NIL is going to keep getting more inflated, Transfer Portal will continue to grow as a Free Agency tool for players.

I agree in spirit that players should get NIL, however I still would rather see donor money going to infrastructure. Infrastructure benefits more students and fans and is fixed for the long term versus NIL that can walk out the door the next season. BUT, got to keep up with the NIL game and keep funding the beast until the rules change. "Don't hate the NIL player, hate the NIL game."l

So, what can make it worse, aka add another flaming dumpster and speed to the train? My guess is if Unions enter college sports. You can bet Unions see a massive membership drive of an untapped base to feed off a new host.

What can make it better? Some sort of player contract: break the contract, return the money. Keep Unions out.
I have a hard time justifying these kids getting $100K or more for playing the game plus getting a full ride. How many of us went to DONU and had to pay our own way or spent years paying off student debt. Saying the kids do not get any pay is ignoring the scholarship and all the other benefits they received.

The one question I have is when will someone step in and institute a "salary cap" or similar to keep a few teams from moving way out ahead of the pack? How you could do this when each athlete has a contract with an outside entity not connected directly to the school is beyond me but I can see something coming.

ESPN says multiple sources but doesn't name them.

These are legit news organizations who have editors that traditionally would make the reporters tell them who the sources are -and deciding those sources are cdedible people in a position to know - before allowing the story to run.

I suppose it could be they have all dropped any pretense of practicing journalism and without getting into politics that's at least a question on the table, but it's still hard for me to believe they would run it if it's crazy.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back