• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal

I simply think we have to get a transfer setter. I’m high on Reilly and think she can start as a freshman, I just have painful memories of thinking the same about Orr.

If we don’t get a transfer setter, the 6-2 is off he table.
I agree. I have seen enough of Orr to think she won't get us to where we want to be. Reilly may end up being a great player but there is no way of knowing until she shows up on campus and gets some experience playing against other division 1 athletes. If I was John Cook I would be doing everything I could do to convince Podraza to come to NU.

I agree. I have seen enough of Orr to think she won't get us to where we want to be. Reilly may end up being a great player but there is no way of knowing until she shows up on campus and gets some experience playing against other division 1 athletes. If I was John Cook I would be doing everything I could do to convince Podraza to come to NU.
I am not convinced that we need a setter from the portal. However, Podraza‘s situation is good for us, and for her. Since she hast to be at Ohio State, this spring in any event, she should be interested in waiting until all possible openings are known, and Nebraska would be interested in seeing how Orr and Riley do in the spring before deciding whether they need a setter from the portal. We also still don’t know what Cook means by “adjustments to our roster.”

It is also interesting to note that the portal has seen the transfer of three premier hitters. (Beason, Wenaas, and Booth). Their destination has been Texas, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. With the portal, it seems the rich just to get richer.

Rich can buy more :)
I'm also curious to know why Ohio State didn't just "buy" those departing COVID-year seniors by securing them some lucrative NIL deals in lieu of a scholarship. Ohio State has a bigtime athletic department and no shortage of big money alumni donors who could throw some cash at Podraza, Murr, and the others if they wanted to. Makes me wonder if there wasn't something else behind the scenes driving those girls to all leave.

I am not convinced that we need a setter from the portal. However, Podraza‘s situation is good for us, and for her. Since she hast to be at Ohio State, this spring in any event, she should be interested in waiting until all possible openings are known, and Nebraska would be interested in seeing how Orr and Riley do in the spring before deciding whether they need a setter from the portal. We also still don’t know what Cook means by “adjustments to our roster.”
13 double contacts in one game tell me we need a transfer setter.

If we think we want to continue with a 6-2, I would say having 2 starters and an emergency backup (aka walkon) would be mandatory. With no transfer, we have 2 with no backup and one of those two has not shown the ability to play college vball.

I'm also curious to know why Ohio State didn't just "buy" those departing COVID-year seniors by securing them some lucrative NIL deals in lieu of a scholarship. Ohio State has a bigtime athletic department and no shortage of big money alumni donors who could throw some cash at Podraza, Murr, and the others if they wanted to. Makes me wonder if there wasn't something else behind the scenes driving those girls to all leave.
Yea, lots we will never know. Texas essentially had 14 scholarship players this year with NIL adding those extra 2, and will likely have 14 or 15 again using NIL. We tried using NIL for Caffey, but Texas apparently outbid us. NIL couldn’t keep Madi here for next year (don’t know if people tried). Reading between the lines of the Coach-Podraza interview where it was all explained, I wonder if there was enough NIL for 1 or 2 players, but the coach did not want to say yes to one and leave the others behind. Each program is deciding how mercenary to be. And volleyball at every school except NU loses money, so maybe large NIL money for VB is hard to get. Yea, lots we don’t know.

Yea, lots we will never know. Texas essentially had 14 scholarship players this year with NIL adding those extra 2, and will likely have 14 or 15 again using NIL. We tried using NIL for Caffey, but Texas apparently outbid us. NIL couldn’t keep Madi here for next year (don’t know if people tried). Reading between the lines of the Coach-Podraza interview where it was all explained, I wonder if there was enough NIL for 1 or 2 players, but the coach did not want to say yes to one and leave the others behind. Each program is deciding how mercenary to be. And volleyball at every school except NU loses money, so maybe large NIL money for VB is hard to get. Yea, lots we don’t know.
BTW, Texas has 18 players listed on their roster for the 2022 team. I'm not sure how many of those have NIL deals, but it is a good bet that most of the ones not on scholarship do (and probably several of the scholarship girls have them too).

I could easily be way off base, but how does a knee injury result in double contacts on a perfect pass? My only theory would be mentally checked out, and if that was the case we have even bigger issues.

I could easily be way off base, but how does a knee injury result in double contacts on a perfect pass? My only theory would be mentally checked out, and if that was the case we have even bigger issues.
I believe it said she was concerned with injuring herself again, so yeah you could say mental because the thought of reinjury would be in the back or her mind, lack of concentration on what she's doing. And if that is the problem I can see Cook continuing to play her because the only way it gets better is playing time and practice time without reinjury.

But I'd see that as a good thing because down the line the more she plays and practices without reinjuring herself, she has the ability to get her confidence back and put her concentration back into her play. This problem can be fixed, where someone without the physical ability to play at the top level isn't ever going to get the job done.

Maybe this is why Cook wants her to stay, he knows she has the ability she just needs to stop thinking about reinjuring herself.

I don’t know how interested NU was in Podraza, but I can’t think of another setter out there that Nebraska would want. And no apparent scholarship available in any event.

Might have been some bimbo drama in there. It happens. I knew a vball player at Minnesota who had a pretty wicked b___h slap.

Last edited:
I don’t know how interested NU was in Podraza, but I can’t think of another setter out there that Nebraska would want. And no apparent scholarship available in any event.

Crap. If she wasn't coming to Nebraska then I had hoped she would leave the Big Ten. This will make Penn State a much tougher opponent.

We’ve simply got to get a transfer setter. Orr isn’t likely to magically turn a corner. That eliminates the option of a 6-2. It also makes us totally dependent on a freshman. While I’m ok with the latter, having more than one option is always better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back