• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal

Stud high school setter (B Reilly) has committed and will be on Husker campus spring 2023. It's quite tough for a true freshman to come in and play immediately. Has happened before, Shaffmaster from MN started over half of the Gopher games in her freshman year and was awarded Freshman of the Year honors by the BigX. I'd hate to think Cook plans on his new freshman setter to run the offense in her 1st year, hence there may be some very open and intense one-on-one conversations with Orr and her family as to the benefits to Orr to remain with the Huskers and produce to be the #1 setter in 2023 (and also notable benefits to Cook as well).

Hames as a frosh got us to 5 sets in the championship game, so recent Husker success there. And Reilly set for the Olympic level team while in high school, so she is more seasoned than most. But I agree Orr could be the real thing as well. 6-2 again?

Orr was beat out most of the year by Evans. I still think Orr will leave too and we’ll get a transfer setter in addition to Reilly. Orr was the number one national recruit and was beat out by a walkon. Next year she would need us to retain the 6-2 to have any chance of playing. If she believes she is elite, she has to move on.

Orr was beat out most of the year by Evans. I still think Orr will leave too and we’ll get a transfer setter in addition to Reilly. Orr was the number one national recruit and was beat out by a walkon. Next year she would need us to retain the 6-2 to have any chance of playing. If she believes she is elite, she has to move on.
I don't know if Orr will leave or not but I agree that Orr was underwhelming this year. I suppose it is possible that she may make some kind of qualitative leap in her level of play next year, but I think it unlikely because she showed no improvement over the course of this year. She was playing just as bad her last couple outings as she did at the beginning of the season. She was beat out by a walk-on who, frankly, isn't very good. That doesn't bode well for Orr. I think Cook will pick one setter next year and go back to the 5-1 that he prefers. That setter probably won't be Kennedi Orr.

I don't know if Orr will leave or not but I agree that Orr was underwhelming this year. I suppose it is possible that she may make some kind of qualitative leap in her level of play next year, but I think it unlikely because she showed no improvement over the course of this year. She was playing just as bad her last couple outings as she did at the beginning of the season. She was beat out by a walk-on who, frankly, isn't very good. That doesn't bode well for Orr. I think Cook will pick one setter next year and go back to the 5-1 that he prefers. That setter probably won't be Kennedi Orr.
Orr certainly had issues, butCook clearly stated on several occasions that she also did amazing things that few setters were capable of. If she is healthy this spring, I could see Cook seeing if she can get to the needed consistency. More top teams used a 6-2 this year, so I imagine that is a “to be decided” issue as well.

Mike Reilly’s daughter ?

Orr had a meeting this weekend with the coaching staff. Lauren Cook thinks she will stay at NU. Orr is apparently still recovering (mentally) from her ACL surgery. Cook also thinks a setter from the transfer portal is possible.

Orr had a meeting this weekend with the coaching staff. Lauren Cook thinks she will stay at NU. Orr is apparently still recovering (mentally) from her ACL surgery. Cook also thinks a setter from the transfer portal is possible.
If we get one from the portal, and Orr stays, then somebody else has to go. I would like a DS from the portal too. If that happens we would need two to go and if one of them isn’t Orr that gets scary.

Is Maggie on VB scholarship or BB? Can she switch?

If we get one from the portal, and Orr stays, then somebody else has to go. I would like a DS from the portal too. If that happens we would need two to go and if one of them isn’t Orr that gets scary.

Is Maggie on VB scholarship or BB? Can she switch?
I expect Cook will give Bergen Reilly a long look during spring practices. (It's great that she is enrolling in January) If Cook thinks she isn't ready for primetime and Orr still looks weak, then he likely will look to the portal. What Orr does at that point is anyone's guess. If Cook tries to pick up a DS from the portal too does that mean someone else will have to lose a scholarship? Is Maisie Boesiger on scholarship?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back