• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New DC - Tony White

Seeing several write ups on White that he's only in a true 3-3-5 in Spread situations. He frequently uses 4 and even 5 man fronts against heavier sets. I don't imagine it's too different that what we we're trying to do with the 3-4.

I'm reeally interested to see this.
I hope so. In the B1G using a 3-3-5 will ensure allot of first downs against us. IMO a 3 man front gives the QB time to throw so seldom works unless you have 3 horses that know how to get to the QB and/or a disguised blitzing scheme that consistently puts pressure or sacks the QB. We need a D that wins the line battle more times than not. It will be awhile before we see it.

Couple of thoughts. I do like this hire. Watched SU play several times and was impressed with the defense. Don’t know if it will work out or not, but like the thought process. If you are being honest, how many coordinators can you name in the Big 10 or the SEC? If my math is correct, there would be 56 coordinators, most couldn’t name a quarter of them. Huskers fans probably know more right now as they have been researching some because of the coaching change. How many knew who Bo was before the hire? Second, I like this for recruiting. Most on here say we will never out recruit the top teams, especially for some of the elite talent. So we need to recruit a little different athletes. This allows us to get more speed on the field. As an old guy, I remember what speed did for Miami in the 80’s and what a speed defense did for us in the 90’s. I remember what some of the comments were about going to 4 lineman. It will never work as they will run all over us. Will we struggle against traditional running teams, maybe, but we are struggling against the run now. Create an identity and recruit to it. Hopefully it works out. What I do know is there are no sure things. GBR

Seeing several write ups on White that he's only in a true 3-3-5 in Spread situations. He frequently uses 4 and even 5 man fronts against heavier sets. I don't imagine it's too different that what we we're trying to do with the 3-4.

It's not. Watched too much tape to admit yesterday. He's also much more aggressive in his approach (besides 1st down, which is very vanilla). Lots of stunts, sends guys from all over. Works OLB as 4th man on LOS quite a bit and drops rover into the box for support.

LBs are super disciplined and are quick to the ball. Outside zone and screens get chewed up by this defense.

Of all these assistant coaching hires every one of them is so average. Curiously, do you see even one of them as a “slam dunk”? My opinion is there is no way we are moving the needle with these coaching changes. Here’s to hoping I’m wrong.
So stealing an SEC OC, multiple NFL position coaches is average? I understand questioning the DC as it will def be a change. But who did you expect us tonget?

Couple of thoughts. I do like this hire. Watched SU play several times and was impressed with the defense. Don’t know if it will work out or not, but like the thought process. If you are being honest, how many coordinators can you name in the Big 10 or the SEC? If my math is correct, there would be 56 coordinators, most couldn’t name a quarter of them. Huskers fans probably know more right now as they have been researching some because of the coaching change. How many knew who Bo was before the hire? Second, I like this for recruiting. Most on here say we will never out recruit the top teams, especially for some of the elite talent. So we need to recruit a little different athletes. This allows us to get more speed on the field. As an old guy, I remember what speed did for Miami in the 80’s and what a speed defense did for us in the 90’s. I remember what some of the comments were about going to 4 lineman. It will never work as they will run all over us. Will we struggle against traditional running teams, maybe, but we are struggling against the run now. Create an identity and recruit to it. Hopefully it works out. What I do know is there are no sure things. GBR
Harumph

So stealing an SEC OC, multiple NFL position coaches is average? I understand questioning the DC as it will def be a change. But who did you expect us tonget?
NFL or not, not one of them has excperienced the level of success we need to fix problems here at Nebraska. As I said I hope I’m wrong, but at face value this looks like more of the same for the next five years to me.

I mean, I assumed he’d be able to figure something out :Biggrin:

We see 3-3-5 and think “Oh man, Iowa is running for 7 yards a carry on that”. He seems to have earned enough respect around the country for us to assume he knows he might need to go a bit heavier in some situations.

It's not. Watched too much tape to admit yesterday. He's also much more aggressive in his approach (besides 1st down, which is very vanilla). Lots of stunts, sends guys from all over. Works OLB as 4th man on LOS quite a bit and drops rover into the box for support.

LBs are super disciplined and are quick to the ball. Outside zone and screens get chewed up by this defense.

Ohhhh man.

I like the sound of that already.

I mean, I assumed he’d be able to figure something out :Biggrin:

We see 3-3-5 and think “Oh man, Iowa is running for 7 yards a carry on that”. He seems to have earned enough respect around the country for us to assume he knows he might need to go a bit heavier in some situations.

Just like our base defense last this year was 3-4. I don’t think we were on a 3 man front more than 15-20% of the time and that might be high.

Of all these assistant coaching hires every one of them is so average. Curiously, do you see even one of them as a “slam dunk”? My opinion is there is no way we are moving the needle with these coaching changes. Here’s to hoping I’m wrong.
How'd our last "slam dunk" hire work out?

I think Rhule needs time to play this out. Every slam dunk hire wasn't a slam dunk at some point . . . before they were.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back