• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New DC - Tony White

I remember when people criticized Buddy Ryan for putting in the 46 defense for the Chicago Bears in 85.

I wouldn’t get hung up on the “numbers”.

Watch the video RR posted several times. Tony runs an aggressive defense with multiple fronts and blitzes coming from everywhere.
Which is what we thought we were getting with Chins....

Im all for an aggressive defense, don't care what formation we run

Rookie, there is booze on every level of my house

Your cardboard box has multiple levels? You are a pro.

1670548077197.png

C

I am not sold on this hire. I have never liked the 3 man front and really preferred what NU used to use in the 4-3. I just think you have much more beef at the line of scrimmage. I have viewed the 3 man front as being more effective against the pass, which in the Big 12, I think makes sense. In the Big 10, you do have passing teams, but I think more of the teams are going to run the football, which is why I prefer the 4-3.

Here, I cherry picked some teams, but three of these teams are in the Big 10. Those are the national ranks for Points Per Game. Illinois is in the top 10 for both passing and rushing yards allowed per game. Could we have taken a run at the Illinois, Minnesota or Wisconsin DC's? I did not check to see what defense everyone runs. We can see that Syracuse is #67 against the rush.

Rank PPG Team Passing Yds Avg/game Rushing Yds Avg/game
1 12.3 Illinois 1,985 165.4 1,181 98.4
4 13.3 Minnesota 2,084 173.7 1,270 105.8
21 20.3 Iowa State 2,139 178.3 1,288 107.3
27 20.5 Wisconsin 2,427 202.3 1,238 103.2
35 22.7 Syracuse 2,265 188.8 1,801 150.1 #67 against the rush
78 27.6 Nebraska 2,704 225.3 2,269 189.1

Below we have one common opponent. They allowed more yards passing than we did, but kept the rushing down.
TEAM - Purdue vs Syracuse
Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
39/56 424 7.6 3 1

Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
21 61 2.9 1 15

TEAM - Purdue vs Nebraska
Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
35/54 391 7.2 4 1

Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
47 217 4.6 1 18

I am not sure how much of an upgrade we are getting. I feel like we could have done better and at least IMHO, I think the 4-3 is more effective in the Big 10.
Don't forget a ground and pound offense makes defensive statistics better.

Depends upon the competition. You can't run a straight 3-3-5 all season in the B1G. Our new coach will need to be a game-by-game strategist that employs multiple looks on the defensive side of the ball. I trust that he has the ability to do so until proven otherwise.
That is why you call it your base defense.

Really like this hire for you guys. I've followed him since his days at San Diego State. I mentioned him on here a few times over the years when Nebraska was hiring DB coaches. Has a very strong recruiting reputation and is a pretty popular up and coming DC.
Stamp of approval

Last edited:
After 14 pages.....
LOVE thIs hire!
Seriously, short stats on his defense but considerable progression towards improvement each year.
He is now my first choice for DC for two reasons, good recruiter and love the smock!
Something has to change our luck I'd guess
Young and hungry.

Syracuse not happy to lose him.

Is the @Fanalytix of Syracuse and South Carolina available to be put on the board? I could spend way too many hours looking at them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back