• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Baby backs Kalbi Style!

BigRedAvenger

Poster of Substance
5 Year Member
Ribs are one of my specialities, but many years ago in Hawaii I developed a love of Korean BBQ. I finally got my recipe down, and today decided to experiment with pork baby backs in a place of the flank cut beef ribs. Cooking them in the barrel will also add that smoke that kalbi typically does not have. Fingers crossed.
1503BB59-92D7-477A-9D40-D6F0982B5495.jpeg

The baby backs were disappointing. I’m not sure if it the face that these were pork instead of beef, or the smoke cancelling it out, but the kalbi flavor wasn’t there. I mean, they were still smoked baby backs, they just would have been better with bbq sauce.

Did you marinate them overnight? I am a huge kalbi beef and bulgogi fan. I cook both of them often and always marinate them overnight. Haven't tried smoking and not with baby backs. I have done wings that style in the smoker and they turn out fantastic. I always marinate overnight.

Did you marinate them overnight? I am a huge kalbi beef and bulgogi fan. I cook both of them often and always marinate them overnight. Haven't tried smoking and not with baby backs. I have done wings that style in the smoker and they turn out fantastic. I always marinate overnight.

Yep put them in the fridge at 6:00pm and dropped them in the smoker about 12:30pm the next day. I may try it with wings next.

Good to know, don't want to mess up a rack of baby backs. I use a cajun dry rub on my wings. Bag em the night before and smoke them the next day for about 2 hours at 200-210. I normally suck and seal them, freeze them and deep fry for about 2-21/2 minutes at 350. Really moist and throw on the wing sauce. I do 30 pounds before each football season and seal in packages of about 12, enough for my wife and myself along with a good veggie tray. They get us through a football season. I use mesquite, but then I like a stronger smoke flavor. A lot of people prefer apple wood or pecan.

3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 1 garlic clove if fancy)
1 tablespoon Asian toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup Mirin (rice wine)
2 lbs flank cut beef shortribs

I've tweaked the recipe here and there, but this is the one that gives me the taste I love. My Walmart carries all of the ingredients. I was surprised they had the Mirin to be honest. I started looking for alternatives for the Mirin assuming they wouldn't have it

3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water

I've tweaked the recipe here and there, but this is the one that gives me the taste I love. My Walmart carries all of the ingredients. I was surprised they had the Mirin to be honest. I started looking for alternatives for the Mirin assuming they wouldn't have it
I always add in a tsp and 1/2 of minced fresh ginger too. I had some Korean friends when I was stationed in Chinhae in the mid 70's and she always added that. I use when I make my marinade and really like that addition.

3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water

You marinated the ribs?
I'm not a fan of baby back ribs.
Haven't smoked any for several years,
But starting every Friday I'm going to smoke baby backs for resale out of my food joint I have,

Looking for recipes and ideas on how to smoke the best baby backs.

You marinated the ribs?
I'm not a fan of baby back ribs.
Haven't smoked any for several years,
But starting every Friday I'm going to smoke baby backs for resale out of my food joint I have,

Looking for recipes and ideas on how to smoke the best baby backs.
I do a dry rub the night before and wrap in plastic. I worry about drying them out in the smoker so I smoke for 2 hours at 225 then wrap them in foil and leave them on for another hour. If you want a bit of char, I throw them on the charcoal grill for just a few minutes with the bbq sauce of choice. i always doctor a store bought sauce with soy, sesame, and heat (sriacha, gochuchang, franks, whatever you prefer)

I do a dry rub the night before and wrap in plastic. I worry about drying them out in the smoker so I smoke for 2 hours at 225 then wrap them in foil and leave them on for another hour. If you want a bit of char, I throw them on the charcoal grill for just a few minutes with the bbq sauce of choice. i always doctor a store bought sauce with soy, sesame, and heat (sriacha, gochuchang, franks, whatever you prefer)
, I smoke about every other foods, I always stayed away from ribs,
I have to many requests for baby backs,
Guess I will be doing ribs,
Thanks for the info,

, I smoke about every other foods, I always stayed away from ribs,
I have to many requests for baby backs,
Guess I will be doing ribs,
Thanks for the info,
I've been smoking meat and fish for about 25 years. Just a labor of love for family and friends and you know what I mean. It really becomes a passion to improve it and try new things. I finally perfected my brisket this year. Probably the hardest piece meat for me to get right. Always learning!

img20221208_174736.jpg

I have 16 racks to season tonight.
Did alot of research on them past few days,
Hope I have it figured out.

In reality, I would rather never do ribs,
My favorite is smoking prime rib

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back