• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rose Bowl Given Wednesday Deadline for CFP

I wonder what the kick off time will be for those playoff games now.

I get why they wanted their time slot, Rose Parade rolls right into the game without a large gap of time. Now you have the game the night before the parade.

C

I'm still not a fan of the 12 team playoff as I have seen it presented. Numbers 5-12 will never win it all, especially playing an extra game while 1-4 get a valuable bye to prepare. If 5-12 are never going to make it, what's the point?

You seem to be, like most people, looking at the whole playoff thing through a tunnel. As it sits, #3 and #4 aren’t winning. The sport has become so top heavy that outside of about 5 university’s no one is worthy of being in the playoffs. As that goes on, it becomes more and more difficult to buck that trend as the top player line up to play for the Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state, Clemson’s of the world and a sharp drop off after that.
By opening it up to automatic conference champions, it expands the recognition for the entire country. Will the changes show up over night? Probably not, but as representation is carried out over a handful of seasons the talent will follow. And that is a good thing for the sport.
For the record, I think 12 is a bit much but with the regular season as meaningless as it has been for a number of years, with meaningless conference championships (non SEC champs better be undefeated or there left out) and practically zero out of conference games, the playoffs will be a bit of fresh air.
Champs get in, and a loss out of conference is not as big of a risk as the road to the playoffs is still open. Perhaps we get better out of conference games.

Last edited:

You seem to be, like most people, looking at the whole playoff thing through a tunnel. As it sits, #3 and #4 aren’t winning. The sport has become so top heavy that outside of about 5 university’s no one is worthy of being in the playoffs. As that goes on, it becomes more and more difficult to buck that trend as the top player line up to play for the Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state, Clemson’s of the world and a sharp drop off after that.
By opening it up to automatic conference champions, it expands the recognition for the entire country. Will the changes show up over night? Probably not, but as representation is carried out over a handful of seasons the talent will follow. And that is a good thing for the sport.
For the record, I think 12 is a bit much but with the regular season as meaningless as it has been for a number of years, with meaningless conference championships (non SEC champs better be undefeated or there left out) and practically zero out of conference games, the playoffs will be a bit of fresh air.
Champs get in, and a loss out of conference is not as big of a risk as the road to the playoffs is still open. Perhaps we get better out of conference games.
I’m glad as well that conference champs get preference. Remember the inaugural year of the playoffs when 1 loss Ohio St had to blow out Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1G Championship game to get selected as the 4th seed? They went on to beat Alabama and then Oregon to win it all. If Urb hadn't run up the score on Wisconsin in the conference championship I don’t think OSU would have made the playoffs.

I think that the 12 team provides teams a chance to show the committee was wrong in their assessments and also lessens the conflict between "best teams" and "best seasons" arguments. Even this year, as an example, the committee has Alabama at #6, seemingly providing a road to the playoff if TCU and USC both lose.

I also think the removal of divisions will continue the trend of having the same teams in the playoff every year, and as a result, will lessen interest in college football for the casual fan of teams not among those perennial contenders.

Some may recall that I've periodically posted a hypothetical 12 team playoff field for at least the last ten years. I like the idea of six automatic qualifiers, with the top 4 conference champs given a bye. I would rather see on campus home games for the first two rounds than the current proposal of using bowl sites for the second round.

With home sites, the bracket would shape up like this. Seems pretty entertaining to me. Some will argue that Purdue should be no where near this bracket if they upset Michigan...that is understandable, but they'd more than likely come in as the last or second to the last seed. The month of November also becomes much more interesting for many teams than it is now...where teams are playing out the season or jockeying for bowl destinations.

#9 Clemson (ACC) at #8 Penn State
- winner at #1 Georgia (SEC)

#18 Tulane at #5 Ohio State
- winner at #4 USC (P12)

#11 Utah at #6 Alabama
- winner at #3 TCU (B12)

#10 Kansas State at #7 Tennessee
- winner at #2 Michigan (B10)

I just heard that an agreement has been made with the Rose Bowl.

An amended CFP format announcement is imminent.

Heard a news flash on 103.7 FM here in Omaha.

I'm way more in favor of an 8 or even 6 team myself. I think the top 6'ish are usually capable of beating each other most years. After that it's unlikely anyone around 10 will beat a top 2/3 school.
Imagine a Boise State year though. It would be nuts. With the way G6 teams keep beating major programs I wouldn't be surprised some years to have one of them get to round 2, but yes, for a team like that to win 3 playoff games is unlikely because of depth/injuries

Imagine a Boise State year though. It would be nuts. With the way G6 teams keep beating major programs I wouldn't be surprised some years to have one of them get to round 2, but yes, for a team like that to win 3 playoff games is unlikely because of depth/injuries
Right. I could see an 8 seed win two games and get to the final but win? Seems very unlikely.

I like the bye week for the top teams. It keeps the value of the regular season in play.

Official press release:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF EXPANDS TO
12 TEAMS BEGINNING IN 2024​

IRVING, Texas – Members of the College Football Playoff (CFP) Board of Managers have agreed to begin the newly-expanded 12-team playoff during the 2024-2025 season.

“We’re delighted to be moving forward,” said Bill Hancock, Executive Director of the College Football Playoff. “When the board expanded the playoff beginning in 2026 and asked the CFP Management Committee to examine the feasibility of starting the new format earlier, the Management Committee went right to work. More teams and more access mean more excitement for fans, alumni, students and student-athletes. We appreciate the leaders of the six bowl games and the two future national championship game host cities for their cooperation. Everyone realized that this change is in the best interest of college football and pulled together to make it happen.”

The first round of the playoff in 2024 will take place the week ending Saturday, December 21, at either the home field of the higher-seeded team or at another site designated by the higher-seeded institution. (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7, and No. 9 at No. 8.) The specific game dates, likely late in that week, will be announced later.

For the 2024 and 2025 seasons, the four quarterfinal games and two Playoff Semifinal games will be played in bowls on a rotating basis. The 2024 quarterfinals will take place in the Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, while the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl will host the Playoff Semifinals. The 2025 quarterfinals will take place in the Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, while the Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl will host the Playoff Semifinals. Specific dates for all quarterfinal and semifinal games will be announced at a later time.

The national championship games will be played January 20, 2025, in Atlanta, and January 19, 2026, in Miami.

“On behalf of the Management Committee and the Board of Managers, this is thrilling,” Hancock added. “It’s been a long process, but we are pleased that more teams and more students will have the opportunity to compete for the national championship beginning in the 2024 season. A new era of college football is about to begin. I look forward to it.”

“This is a great day for college football,” said Mark Keenum, President of Mississippi State University and chairman of the CFP Board of Managers. “I’m glad we are able to follow through and launch the expanded playoff early. It’s very exciting for schools, alumni and everyone involved.”

Members of the CFP Board of Managers include Tim Caboni – Conference USA (President, Western Kentucky); Jim Clements – Atlantic Coast Conference (President, Clemson); Gordon Gee – Big 12 Conference (President, West Virginia); Jack Hawkins – Sun Belt Conference (President, Troy); Rev. John Jenkins – President, Notre Dame (Independent); Kristina Johnson – Big Ten Conference (President, Ohio State); Mark Keenum (chair) – Southeastern Conference (President, Mississippi State); Kirk Schulz – Pacific-12 Conference (President, Washington State); Satish Tripathi – Mid-American Conference (President, Buffalo); Gerald Turner – American Athletic Conference (President, SMU); Keith Whitfield – Mountain West Conference (President, UNLV).

For more information on the CFP, visit CollegeFootballPlayoff.com.​

With the CFB the Rose Bowl ( or any bowl) just doesn't mean as much. No big deal to me anymore, this year it most likely hosts the runners- up in the B1G and the PAC12 with no impact on the National Championship. Who cares other than those schools.
Similar comparison to Basketball. With a 12 team football playoff (NCAA basketball tourney), all the other bowls are NIT Tourney. It's a mini get-a-way weekend to watch football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back