• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rose Bowl Given Wednesday Deadline for CFP

I'm way more in favor of an 8 or even 6 team myself. I think the top 6'ish are usually capable of beating each other most years. After that it's unlikely anyone around 10 will beat a top 2/3 school.

I was always a 6 P5+1 at large, then 8 myself. P5 champs followed by three at large bids.

C

damn shame what money has done to this beloved sport
Couldn’t agree more. If the Rose Bowl, BIG and PAC, had just got on board with Chuck Neinas long ago, Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou would still be in the Big 12. The CFA was created, but those fools balked, and it screwed up everything for everyone else. Nebraska also, would have got to CRUSH Michigan in 1997 as well.

Couldn’t agree more. If the Rose Bowl, BIG and PAC, had just got on board with Chuck Neinas long ago, Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou would still be in the Big 12. The CFA was created, but those fools balked, and it screwed up everything for everyone else. Nebraska also, would have got to CRUSH Michigan in 1997 as well.
and make no mitake...we would have crushed that team by at least 15. yeah, i hate to cry over spilled milk, but moving to the big sucks..imo

I'm way more in favor of an 8 or even 6 team myself. I think the top 6'ish are usually capable of beating each other most years. After that it's unlikely anyone around 10 will beat a top 2/3 school.
Happened all the time in bowl games in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Lots of factors in play in tournaments. 12/130 teams is about right. Upsets happen all the time.

They will end up taking that $450m and just paying more in coaches salaries. In the end, schools will end up with the same money and be in the same position as before.
exactly!!! which is why i hated the move. all the great rivalries upended bc of money, that would have been there anyway.

2026 or so…last conference game at UCLA; B10 Conference championship at LA; win and play in the Rose Bowl. We’d all go to 1 or 2 of those!

Good riddance to the arrogance and power plays that accompany the Rose Bowl. I wish the tie-in with the BIG would dissolve. Went to the 2002 Rose Bowl and I thought the stadium was pretty outdated and the view, even in the lowest section, sucked about as bad as NU did that day. Can't imagine sitting in the upper sections of that bowl stadium. Looks gorgeous on TV with the sun setting behind the hills though.

Apparently, the last remaining hurdle preventing expansion of the CFP to 12 teams in 2024 is the Rose Bowl's insistence that it wants the game to remain in its traditional 2 pm PT time slot in the next CFP TV contract. It's "possible" the Rose Bowl could be left out of the expanded CFP.

Are these the same people that are trying to force UCLA to renege on its commitment to join the Big 10 to "save money on flights" when UCLA is like $100 million in debt....which if they were to succeed, the Big 10 would probably invite Oregon and/or Washington the next day, leaving both California schools in a less attractive conference and no plan for paying down their debt. ?

Is the Rose Bowl governed by the same twits?

Are these the same people that are trying to force UCLA to renege on its commitment to join the Big 10 to "save money on flights" when UCLA is like $100 million in debt....which if they were to succeed, the Big 10 would probably invite Oregon and/or Washington the next day, leaving both California schools in a less attractive conference and no plan for paying down their debt. ?

Is the Rose Bowl governed by the same twits?

No, the Rose Bowl is run by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association and the Rose Bowl Operating Company if I remember correctly and has nothing to do with the UC system or the UC regents.

Edit: Rose Bowl Management Company

C

Last edited:

No, the Rose Bowl is run by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association and the Rose Bowl Operating Company if I remember correctly and has nothing to do with the UC system or the UC regents.

Edit: Rose Bowl Management Company

C
I know they’re not literally the same group. I just see the same kind of entitlement showing.

I like 8 as long as it doesn't give anyone a bye. That's just too much of an advantage in the college game and slants it heavily towards 1-4. It's just a money grab at that point. 8 teams, 3 rounds sounds like it should cover the "deserving" teams, and make it as fair as possible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back