• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

Anyone gonna update this thread title?
Update it to what? I think it is still an accurate statement.

The chatter on the street is that he did in fact initially turn us down before the pot was sweetened sufficiently. And there's nothing wrong with that, it is what any of us would do if we had adequate leverage while being sought after.

If Rhule gets us to that point, Nebraska will be the high profile team he is already working for, and he will be able to, at that point, dictate his salary. I'd say if another school comes knocking, he leverages the offer for a contract extension and bump, and stays put, unless it is PSU or some other attainable grail-type school he might harbor a special hankering for. Or, the fishbowl and fan base has burned him out, lol.
Thank you for raising this, FJB - you are exactly right. Nobody knows how this hire will work out exactly, but if Coach Rhule starts winning big enough at Nebraska to raise interest from other programs then NU will once again be one of the prestige programs that tend to keep their coach. We are not a head coach training program by any stretch of the imagination - we just need the right guy to restore the luster. Just because NU is somewhat ‘downtrodden’ right now, it doesn’t relegate us to permanent ‘stepping stone’ status…

Update it to what? I think it is still an accurate statement.

The chatter on the street is that he did in fact initially turn us down before the pot was sweetened sufficiently. And there's nothing wrong with that, it is what any of us would do if we had adequate leverage while being sought after.
There was also chatter on the street that the problem was the Panthers suggesting the original agreed upon amount wasn‘t “market value” as it related to their obligations under his buyout. Ie: remember how Oregon State basically got Mike Riley for free after Nebraska fired him.

I mean . . . did anyone think Lincoln Riley would bolt OU almost overnight? Who predicted Kelly would leave ND?

Like it or not, it's a coaching carousel these days. If Rhule gets to the point where some high-profile team comes knocking, then he's accomplished what we want him to at NU. And who's to say if that day comes that NU can't offer enough to keep him?

I don't know if Rhule will work out or not. I'm VERY hopefull given his history in college ball. If he's getting poached in a few years, then he's winning a lot of games and has built the Huskers back up again. I'll worry about that if/when it happens. Right now, I'm thrilled we have a guy who has a record of building struggling teams up on board to try and get this desperate ship back on track. I'm going to enjoy the ride until I'm given a specific reason not to.
I suspect both the Riley and Kelly moves were motivated by conference re-alignment (in Kelly's case, ND's unwilling to join a major conf.)

In Rhule's case, if he wins here, he's in a major conference, he's winning, I don't know where else he would want to go. If he's returned relavence to NU would he bolt for Penn State if given the opportunity, especially if he's gotten NU to a level on par with the Nittany Lions?

I understand the arguement that if other teams want to hire Rhule away from NU that means we're being successful but we have to at least prefer this be a long term deal. If Rhule is consistently winning 9-11 games a year, do we really want to go through this process again to find someone to fill those shoes?

Bottom line, I want Rhule to be successful here and I want him to retire here and I hope he wants the same thing.

Unless the recruit lives across the street from Temple.

I believe closing on a recruit would be easier for Nebraska.

What the h** do I know.
I am told He was very popular with HS coaches in Texas,so my answer to this is yes.

Both Rhule and Trev confirmed that there were bumps in the road with contract negotiations. With Trev even saying he was afraid it might not get done.

I think those are pretty good sources.

C

There was also chatter on the street that the problem was the Panthers suggesting the original agreed upon amount wasn‘t “market value” as it related to their obligations under his buyout. Ie: remember how Oregon State basically got Mike Riley for free after Nebraska fired him.
The part of the press conference that confirmed that to me was where he said they were really hoping to get it worked out, and there was a time where they thought it might not, and he said his wife told him to have faith Trev will get it worked out. That told me it was Nebraska trying to meet Carolina's demands.

Both Rhule and Trev confirmed that there were bumps in the road with contract negotiations. With Trev even saying he was afraid it might not get done.

I think those are pretty good sources.

C
There is an article that alludes that the deal was off but that Ted Carter got it back on track, but since I am not a subscriber, I was unable to read it. To many articles on HM that require subscriptions.

There is an article that alludes that the deal was off but that Ted Carter got it back on track, but since I am not a subscriber, I was unable to read it. To many articles on HM that require subscriptions.

In the secondary questions with reporters Matt confirmed it again even stating that his family was upset it was not going to work out. But then NU stepped up and got it done.

Looks like HWM's source was spot on.
but-thats-none-of-my-business-gif-8.gif | Vevmo

C

In the secondary questions with reporters Matt confirmed it again even stating that his family was upset it was not going to work out. But then NU stepped up and got it done.

Looks like HWM's source was spot on.
but-thats-none-of-my-business-gif-8.gif | Vevmo

C
No, he said we're going cheap.

Also, it wasn't Rhule turning us down. It was a legal fight with the Panthers.

At least have the nads to tag me instead of being a coward.

No, he said we're going cheap.

Also, it wasn't Rhule turning us down. It was a legal fight with the Panthers.

At least have the nads to tag me instead of being a coward.

The first post of yours I replied to you said "going cheap" which may be a little excessive when describing the contract negotiations/issues but still shows the offer was too low. But now it is HWM said he turned us down? I would like to find his original post so I can see what he said, was it in another thread as I am having a hard time finding it.

Just because some of the exact details where not 100% does not mean all the info was bad. Also Rhule said that Ted stepped in to make it happen which tells me the first offer was low(cheap) and NU had to up the contract.

And not being a coward, nice personal attack by the way, was actually trying to not be a giant prick by tagging you. Just a bit of an A hole instead. I figured if I tagged you it would come off worse but guess I was wrong. Next time I will crank up my jerk meter. :Banana:

C

Last edited:
The first post of yours I replied to you said "going cheap" which may be a little excessive when describing the contract negotiations/issues but still shows the offer was too low. But now it is HWM said he turned us down? I would like to find his original post so I can see what he said, was it in another thread as I am having a hard time finding it.

Just because some of the exact details where not 100% does not mean all the info was bad. Also Rhule said that Ted stepped in to make it happen which tells me the first offer was low(cheap) and NU had to up the contract.

And not being a coward, nice personal attack by the way, was actually trying to not be a giant prick by tagging you. Just a bit of an A hole instead. I figured if I tagged you it would come off worse but guess I was wrong. Next time I will crank up my jerk meter. :Banana:

C
There isn't anything anywhere that says we're going cheap. That was all the talk by several bitter little people here that we'd never hire a top coach because we'd go cheap.

We didn't go cheap and now those people are either hiding or pretending they didn't mean it.

There isn't anything anywhere that says we're going cheap. That was all the talk by several bitter little people here that we'd never hire a top coach because we'd go cheap.

We didn't go cheap and now those people are either hiding or pretending they didn't mean it.

I can't speak for HWM but from my conversations with him he is not one of those "bitter little people" that thought NU would not hire a top coach due to going cheap. If negotiations stalled and it looked like Rhule would not be hired, confirmed by Rhule himself, and HWM expressed that concern citing a source, that does not make him what you say. It is like this odd need to own HWM, weird.

Again I ask, can you please point me to where I can find his original post that you find objectionable so I can read exactly what he said? Thanks in advance.

C

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back