• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEW POLL: Is Rhule the coach?

Is Rhule the new Huskers coach?

• 100% done deal

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • 90-99% - all that’s left are small details

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • 80-89% - close but no cigar just yet

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • 70-79% - it could happen but might not

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • 69% and under - we are still looking at several options

Votes: 21 19.8%

• Total voters
Three of the all-time greats might disagree...but don't let stats stand in your way.

Nick Saban CFB record: 278-29-1
Nick Saban NFL record: 15-17

Urban Meyer CFB record: 187-32
Urban Meyer NFL record: 2-11

Steve Spurrier CFB record: 228-89-2
Steve Spurrier NFL record: 12-20
Obviously not rare that some good college coaches couldn't make it work in the NFL. In fairness to Rhule his college record is a bit deceiving considering the situation he took over at Baylor and did a great job quickly turning things around in 3 years imo.
failed nfl coaches.jpg

Whereas a college coach can stockpile talent through recruiting and simply beat lesser teams into submission, the NFL has the draft, salary cap and free agency to effectively maintain parity. Meyer was a particularly notable example of this, especially when he infamously didn't know who Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald was.

Let also remember following the threat of a lawsuit by Briles for wrongful termination, Baylor provided an out of court settlement. Briles and Baylor are co-defendants in a lawsuit filed by a woman allegedly sexually assaulted by a football player. After Briles' departure, many players announced their intention to transfer including Jarrett Stidham. Seven members of the 2016 recruiting class requested to be released from their National Letter of Intent and six of the then-seven commits in the 2017 recruiting class decommitted. Rhule took a team that was basically destroyed from 1-11 his first season to 11-3 in his third season. I would bet that's a significant factor in his possible hiring for the job of rebuilding the Huskers imo.

Last edited:

When comparing TO to Saban I wonder if TO would have won more or less than 3 championships at Bama and if Saban would have won more or less than 6 at Nebraska. Saban won more chamionships with more talent, and Nebraska is heck of a lot harder to recruit in than Alabama.

When comparing TO to Saban I wonder if TO would have won more or less than 3 championships at Bama and if Saban would have won more or less than 6 at Nebraska. Saban won more chamionships with more talent, and Nebraska is heck of a lot harder to recruit in than Alabama.

You obviously haven’t spent much time in Tuscaloosa.

What is your level of confidence that Matt Rhule is NU’s next head coach? I feel as though it is signed and sealed. Otherwise, we would be getting a lot of leaks on the back-and-forth.
Just last night on Twitter, I read Rhule was a smokescreen for Fickel. Then, later, I read where Dave Doren had interviewed this past Sunday. My head is going to explode.

If he is, hopefully he forgets everything he learned in the NFL except for the fact that losing sucks.
Being he tried to run the Panthers with a college coaching mentality, it won't be hard. I will say this, when he was here, with the Panthers, he worked his ass off. That's the part I really liked about him.

Just last night on Twitter, I read Rhule was a smokescreen for Fickel. Then, later, I read where Dave Doren had interviewed this past Sunday. My head is going to explode.
I'd like to believe Trev and the consulting firm identified a group of 4-5 quality candidates and Trev interviewed all that expressed interest. If he/they just zeroed in on one guy and the rest were merely decoys, then they didn't do NU justice.

I have no idea if Dave Doeren is or ever was a serious candidate for the Nebraska job. But he may have good reason to want to get out of North Carolina.

The arrest stems from a tweet reportedly sent by Joseph Boletepeli, 22, a member of the 2018 and 2019 NC State football teams, saying, "Imma get him I promise. Dave Doeren and the rest."

I'm not saying it is Rhule and I'm not making any predictions. (If I did I would be performing a lot better on Fan Duel than I am.)

1. Yes, I wanted him gone from the Panthers, but only because he was coaching them with a college coach mindset, as opposed to an NFL coaching mindset.
2. He worked his ass off.
3. He ran as full of contact (blocking, pads and tackling) practices that the NFLPA would allow.
4. He took ownership in press conferences.
5. He is very loyal to his team.
6. He came to the Panthers in the Covid year with very little physical contact with the players. That was a huge disadvantage for all coaches, especially for a new guy.
7. Regarding the $40 million in his pocket? The Panther owner was so smitten with Rhule, during their interview, he offered a, ridiculous, 7 year $70 million plus contract. Rhule, in not so many words, was shocked. I would have jumped on it too!

The bottom line is this. If it's him, I think you will like him. He has a dedicated work ethic. Will we win a Big 10 championship with him? I don't know, but we will win games, upset some teams and go to bowl games. (I've said this before, if he talked Joe Brady (QB coach of the Bills) into coming with him as QB/OC and pairing him with Mickey, just like Odgeron had at LSU with Burrow, Jefferson and Chase... ooooh baby what a team they would make on offense.)

I hope this helps you feel better, if it, indeed, is Matt Rhule.

GET TICKETS

Back