• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

No, but my point is, we have a higher starting base with which to work from than his previous stops. We have talent at skill positions, and every skill position benefits from a surge of development and recruiting on the LOS. And a good coach can move the needle on LOS play in a season.
Well, I hope you’re right. If someone can make our O tackles effective and replace the center in short order, that would take us a long way towards success. Oh, and better pick up a QB out of the portal too. (Or maybe he can fix one our existing QB’s or coach up freshman QB recruits.)

There is no talent deficiency. There is however a development deficiency. Point in case, the last few recruiting cycles we have been top 30 and typically best recruiting class in the division or near it. Yet we cant muster more than 3 wins. This is not only a leadership issue, but a developmental issue as well.

2021 - #20
2020 - #20
2019 - #17
2018 - #23

And then we pulled one of the best recruiting classes from the transfer portal on top of that last year.

I'm sure you read about all of that too... or ignored it. Your good at just ignoring stuff... words... ignoring words...

But you know... whatever...
there You go quoting recruiting rankings knowing 50 percent of said recruits are no longer on the team. Heck the number might be higher. 5 years of roster turnover we’ll do that. But the point is we need talent quick. Both sides of the ball.

There is no talent deficiency. There is however a development deficiency. Point in case, the last few recruiting cycles we have been top 30 and typically best recruiting class in the division or near it. Yet we cant muster more than 3 wins. This is not only a leadership issue, but a developmental issue as well.

2021 - #20
2020 - #20
2019 - #17
2018 - #23

And then we pulled one of the best recruiting classes from the transfer portal on top of that last year.

I'm sure you read about all of that too... or ignored it. Your good at just ignoring stuff... words... ignoring words...

But you know... whatever...
5 years of roster mismanagement takes a top 20 class and makes it worth nothing. 1 step forward 2 back

We’re not going to agree on the NFL thing. It doesn’t enter my assessment of a CFB head coach. Not when I have a CFB track record to evaluate. We can all throw out multiple names of outstanding CFB coaches who didn’t win enough games in the NFL. History suggests that it’s irrelevant to the evaluation.

The losing at the college level would be impossible to ignore if it wasn’t followed by at least 10 wins after he established his system at both of his college HC jobs. He’s 2 for 2 at proving his system works in CFB.
Either way it’s tough to ignore. He’s like Mike Riley on steroids, lots of losing, with some big time seasons mixed it. As for your 2 for 2, yeah, that’s debatable, as he didn’t stick around to SEE if it could be sustained. Correct? We don’t know what follows an 11-3 season because he’s left when he’s had one. He’s also sucked against ranked teams, even in those very good seasons. That’s a problem Nebraska already has. Again, solid coach, remains to be seen if he can be great. I’ll take the flyer on Mickey. Rhule isn’t worth 8-9 million per year.

I just waded through the last 15 painful pages of this thread. After a while I gave up reading and just had to skim.

OG, you certainly are tenacious with your position, and you're certainly entitled to it. I'm not rosy on Rhule, but cautiously hopeful.

Something to consider that I don't recall seeing (might have skimmed over it, sorry) is that we don't need a new coach to transport us directly to the Holy Land by year three. All we really need is a coach that can move our needle back towards relevance from the depths of mediocrity. Then, if he bails, or we decide he is not getting it done as much as we wanted, at least we will be less of a train wreck than present day, and thus a more appealing job for the next coach to take us to the next level. That might be a two or three coach process.

It would be nice to start bowling again more often than not. Maybe get ranked once in a while. Maybe even appear in a CCG, wow! Progress matters more than perfection right now, for the long game. IMO Rhule may not take us to the Holy Land, but I'm supremely confident he can move our needle and get us on our way. For now, for me, forward progress is enough.

That would be worth exploring if we were talking about Aranda. But we aren’t, the depth chart is posted and it reads the team was made up of majority Briles guys. Plus it had 18 seniors which is about normal.
You don’t get it. You made the claim that Rhule couldn’t recruit and that his depth chart was full of Brile’s guys. Of course it was. Brile’s guys were Jr.s and Sr.s when Rhule had his success there. The guys that Rhule recruited were younger then, but made up the core of Aranda’s 2021team when they were Jr.s and Sr.s. So yes, Rhule can recruit. The composition of the depth chart was based on the age of the players, who by the way, Rhule developed, not necessarily on who recruited them.

Bro, the roster was gutted. That’s a fact. That’s partly why it took until year three to fully turn it around. But let’s go with your premise, that Rhule was left with a solid roster. He still coached them to 11 wins. Three out of his seven years as a CFB head coach his team had at least ten wins. Do you dismiss that fact? Does that not suggest that he must be a pretty damn good coach?

On your second point, he was fired from an NFL team. I don’t give two chits about his NFL record, and the neither should you. It’s irrelevant to his ability as a CFB head coach.
He had A couple good seasons just like a lot of coaches have had. Scott had a good year at UCF as did Riley at his stops times. but it looks like UNL is about to hire a coach with the worst win lose record in 60 years at Nebraska let that set in. And by the way his 1 winning season at Baylor he did with Briles recruits.

Good coaches have done more with less talent than we have. Yes they will have to hit the transfer portal but one year under good coaching can get us competitive with most all of our schedule.
You sound sure of that. So I hope your right

Either way it’s tough to ignore. He’s like Mike Riley on steroids, lots of losing, with some big time seasons mixed it. As for your 2 for 2, yeah, that’s debatable, as he didn’t stick around to SEE if it could be sustained. Correct? We don’t know what follows an 11-3 season because he’s left when he’s had one. He’s also sucked against ranked teams, even in those very good seasons. That’s a problem Nebraska already has. Again, solid coach, remains to be seen if he can be great. I’ll take the flyer on Mickey. Rhule isn’t worth 8-9 million per year.

Oh good lord

He had A couple good seasons just like a lot of coaches have had. Scott had a good year at UCF as did Riley at his stops times. but it looks like UNL is about to hire a coach with the worst win lose record in 60 years at Nebraska let that set in. And by the way his 1 winning season at Baylor he did with Briles recruits.

Oh good lord

You don’t get it. You made the claim that Rhule couldn’t recruit and that his depth chart was full of Brile’s guys. Of course it was. Brile’s guys were Jr.s and Sr.s when Rhule had his success there. The guys that Rhule recruited were younger then, but made up the core of Aranda’s 2021team when they were Jr.s and Sr.s. So yes, Rhule can recruit. The composition of the depth chart was based on the age of the players, who by the way, Rhule developed, not necessarily on who recruited them.
You say he can recruit but his win lose record says different, if I guy can recruit why is he on the losing end more than not. or is like our storyline top 25 recruiting and 3 wins per year. If he could recruit he’d have more wins

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back