• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

Bro, the roster was gutted. That’s a fact. That’s partly why it took until year three to fully turn it around. But let’s go with your premise, that Rhule was left with a solid roster. He still coached them to 11 wins. Three out of his seven years as a CFB head coach his team had at least ten wins. Do you dismiss that fact? Does that not suggest that he must be a pretty damn good coach?

On your second point, he was fired from an NFL team. I don’t give two chits about his NFL record, and neither should you. It’s irrelevant to his ability as a CFB head coach.
It was relevant when NU hired Callahan. Yes the NFL is different, we all know that, but losing is still losing, and he has lost his fair share. Hard to ignore, at least for me. Not saying he’s a bad coach, he isn’t. NU could definitely do worse. He’s going to get too much money imo, and personally, I don’t think he is worth 7-9 m per for what your getting. The level of losing he’s had, to me, subtract from his 3-4 years of pretty good football. It would most certainly, be of concern.

Well given the recruiting environment, NIL and metamorphous of the portal the new coach we’ll have o compete on this front first. With 4 years of roster mismanagement that has put us at a talent deficiency all over. New coach will have to bring in talent quick just my humble opinion
Good coaches have done more with less talent than we have. Yes they will have to hit the transfer portal but one year under good coaching can get us competitive with most all of our schedule.

Its a great thing Rhule understands winning at the LOS. I cant imagine having a great first year under rhule. He will probably have to portal OL in the program as well as recruit for a couple years to stabilize it.

You know it suprises me, that given SF history with Neb, that he didn't attempt to create the most physical linemen on both sides. Its why we won the games we did. Its so baffling...
It is baffling. I never would have guessed it. Pretty much everything about Frost has been a disappointment. The lack of physicality is inexplicable.

On Rhule, he should not disappoint when it comes to physicality. The staff is going to have to hit the portal and JUCO ranks to nab a couple of OTs right away.

Of those relatively high ranking classes, are all those players still here? My memory is that 2018 and 2019, we lost a LOT of those players. Do they still count as talent we have on campus, even though they play somewhere else now?
It’s relative. Our competition has had defections also.

It was relevant when NU hired Callahan. Yes the NFL is different, we all know that, but losing is still losing, and he has lost his fair share. Hard to ignore, at least for me. Not saying he’s a bad coach, he isn’t. NU could definitely do worse. He’s going to get too much money imo, and personally, I don’t think he is worth 7-9 m per for what your getting. The level of losing he’s had, to me, subtract from his 3-4 years of pretty good football. It would most certainly, be of concern.
We’re not going to agree on the NFL thing. It doesn’t enter my assessment of a CFB head coach. Not when I have a CFB track record to evaluate. We can all throw out multiple names of outstanding CFB coaches who didn’t win enough games in the NFL. History suggests that it’s irrelevant to the evaluation.

The losing at the college level would be impossible to ignore if it wasn’t followed by at least 10 wins after he established his system at both of his college HC jobs. He’s 2 for 2 at proving his system works in CFB.

unfortunately, no. We had a lot of attrition. Hence why I say some of it is a leadership issue. But we had most of those guys, on campus, for at least a year. We failed them. With a good staff, that doesn't happen. With good development, that doesnt happen.
Agreed. But you can’t claim we have plenty of talent on campus by pointing to recruiting class rankings if the cream of most of those classes aren‘t here to contribute.

Having said that, if your point is Nebraska should be able to recruit top 20 classes, I fully agree. No reason we can’t bring in more talent.

Agreed. But you can’t claim we have plenty of talent on campus by pointing to recruiting class rankings if the cream of most of those classes aren‘t here to contribute.

Having said that, if your point is Nebraska should be able to recruit top 20 classes, I fully agree. No reason we can’t bring in more talent.
No, but my point is, we have a higher starting base with which to work from than his previous stops. We have talent at skill positions, and every skill position benefits from a surge of development and recruiting on the LOS. And a good coach can move the needle on LOS play in a season.

So by cream of the classes aren’t here…..please give examples. And are those departures at a higher level than other schools?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back