• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we don't have a new HC...

My biggest concern is the guy ADTA zeroed in on either got cold feet or received an extension/counter offer too good to turn down.

Not saying it’s Leipold but as an example he and TA might’ve had an agreement in principle but LL gets a KU extension too good to turn down and leaves ADTA standing at the altar.

DeBoer just got an extension, Kiffin has stated he’s not leaving … list of potential candidates is dwindling.
This is how it probably works when you have an AD who does a thorough search but keeps a lid on everything. The list of possible candidates dwindle’s down until there are only a few options left, and then someone who you (and me) thought was “out of it” or wasn’t ever being considered ends up being hired.

HCSF lost almost half that class by year two, even though it looked good when they came on campus.

Boy, does that place us too close to the December signing date for a new HC to get a staff together and sign a reasonable 2023 class?

To win 9 games in 2023, we really need a better QB than we currently have on the roster plus at least 2 if not three Juco D-line man that we have been actively recruiting. Can not let them go elsewhere as our game against Wisconsin so clearly showed.

GBR
I think we will need more than some D linemen and a new QB to win 9 games in 2023.

It could mean a lot of things. Many people think that if it’s Rhule, it would have already been announced. But they forget that he, or anyone else, also has to assemble a staff. My guess is when they announce the new HC, he’s already announcing his assistants. Some of which may still be coaching until Saturday.

Last edited:
It could mean a lot of things. Many people think that if it’s Rhule, it would have already been announced. But they forget that he, or anyone else, also has to assemble a staff. My guess is when they announce the new HC, he’s already announcing his assistants. Some of which may still be coaching until Saturday.
There is also the complications of his remaining contract with the Panthers

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the full staff isn't announced as there may be some who will coach in CCGs the following week.

Things are going exactly like Trev said they would: He has spoken to lots of people. Lot's of rumors will surely follow. Not everyone mentioned is being offered the gig. He will take however long needed to make the right hire with the right fit.
Soon fellas. Soon.

The way I interpret Trev's original presser after firing SF (I agreed with that decsion, by the way), is that this would be a long and thorough process with a lot of boxes to check for the candidates to be considered. There would be many names out there and much speculation, but Trev pretty was clear that a head coach would be eventually named. I do not have any inside connections, but I have to believe this will happen.

There is also the complications of his remaining contract with the Panthers
I don't understand what the comlications are. I thought that the Panthers had to pay him minus what NU pays him. The one sticking point that I can think of is NU has to hire him at market rate, so that may be a point of contention. Is there more to it than that?

I'm not too certain our Qbs are the issue. Our oline is high school grade at best. Fix the pipeline, and magically our QBs would look like D 1 material imo
It is absolutely essential to fix the pipeline but I believe that this issue coaching issue (and health issue) not a bodies issue.

On the other hand, football is clearly a QB dependent game now. What we have now might get us to a "winning season" with a better o-line and an OC that has a clue but not to 9-10 wins i.e. Big West contention.

CT did not do it a Texas and if you look at his decision making here both pass and run, he does not inspire me that he cannot to that level.

Logan and Purdy are not D1 QB's

Torres comes in hurt, where have we heard that before.

And our 2023 QB is a 3* from Massachusetts, maybe good but how likely to be the next Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz or Tommie Frazier? <25%.

Ask Middle Age Ball Coach: most valuable football commodity behind a great QB is a great, disruptive D-lineman.
They turn an average defense into a very good, a very good into great. See Ohio State after Chase Young left.........

GBR

Last edited:
I don't understand what the comlications are. I thought that the Panthers had to pay him minus what NU pays him. The one sticking point that I can think of is NU has to hire him at market rate, so that may be a point of contention. Is there more to it than that?
I don't know, I'm speculating like everyone else.

Things are going exactly like Trev said they would: He has spoken to lots of people. Lot's of rumors will surely follow. Not everyone mentioned is being offered the gig. He will take however long needed to make the right hire with the right fit.
Soon fellas. Soon.
Exactly right.

Ok Trev has been around awhile. Maybe he had someone before he fired SF? It’s not like SF started losing this year. Who knows, it’s all speculative unless your Trev Alberts.

Ok Trev has been around awhile. Maybe he had someone before he fired SF? It’s not like SF started losing this year. Who knows, it’s all speculative unless your Trev Alberts.
They say good AD's show up with a list of coaches in their pocket. Trev probably had an idea that he'd be firing Frost when he showed up. You would think he had potential replacements in mind. Then coaches like Rhule become available, former coaches (Urb or BOB) might show some interest. The search firm might come up with someone nobody was talking about. I kinda doubt he's ever been out of candidates. Picking the right one would be the hard part.

They say good AD's show up with a list of coaches in their pocket. Trev probably had an idea that he'd be firing Frost when he showed up. You would think he had potential replacements in mind. Then coaches like Rhule become available, former coaches (Urb or BOB) might show some interest. The search firm might come up with someone nobody was talking about. I kinda doubt he's ever been out of candidates. Picking the right one would be the hard part.
Then, once he's picked his guy, he has to convince him to leave where he is and come to Nebraska. I'll bet it pretty rare when an AD gets to hire his first pick.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back