• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I love Mickey Joseph

Californication

Charlie Brown
15 Year Member
I am not a smart enough football guy to decide who should or should not be coach, but I will tell you this: I have really enjoyed listening and watching MJ and know he makes me proud to be a Nebraska fan. Watching his press conference today was beautiful. Whatever his future is, I hope for nothing but the best for him.

Last edited:
I like Mickey. It's hard to give him credit or blame for this season. Not his coaches, not his players, and no offseason to make any meaningful adjustments. I wish he could have pulled a 180 on this season and make it a hard decision for Trev, there was only so much he could do under the circumstances.

I am not a smart enough football guy to decide who should or should not be coach, but I will tell you this: I have really enjoyed listening and watching MJ and know he makes me proud to be a Nebraska fan. Watching his press conference today was beautiful. Whatever his future is, I hope for nothing but the best for him.
Agree. Mickey seems to fit like a glove as the picture of NE. I'm not smart enough either but now that we've disected all considerations, there isn't one that I get excited about. Hope Trev's decision is a good one.

I love Mickey and if Trev announced him after Rutgers, it would have felt better. If announced now, it reeks of a strikeout with others.

That said, if Trev announces Mickey, I'll be 100% on board and hope he can get some good assistants. I love his candor and his connections with the players. I'd rather take a flyer on Mickey than a .500 career HC who doesn't know what he's getting into.

By his demeanor at today's presser, I thought he knew he didn't get the job...but what do I know...

I love Mickey too. He’s a great guy with an infectious personality and he’s great at being blunt w/o being toxic. However I think he would be in over his head barring he’d have a former head coach like Patterson as defensive coordinator to help him grow into the position. I’m not bagging on him, love the guy, but his first power 5 job was LSU. I think it needs to be taking into account that Ja’Maar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Trey Palmer were all local recruits. IMO Jefferson is the best of the three and he was a 2 star. His highest rated recruit was 5 star Terrace Marshall whom was also a local recruit. Good job for keeping the local talent instate as we’ve struggled to do so, but LSU is to Louisianans as the Huskers are to Nebraskans w/o the the program falling off a cliff for extended period of time reducing the passion of younger generations. We got who we wanted in-state pretty easily 10 years ago, however we did crap the bed by not offering lots of instate talent that went on to be successful in other programs and NFL. Another thing to note is that Steve Ensminger was the offensive coordinator and Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator, so basically they had two wide receiver coaches with Brady atop the totem pole. Emotional connections can blind us a little. Let me have it.

Last edited:

If you can't get Urban, Klieman or Rhule... you might as well hire Mickey. He knows this place and will improve the talent
I said that a few months ago. If he can’t get who he absolutely wants, take a flyer on Mickey. Mickey talks like he can get this thing going, and knows Scott had many gaffs. With a great staff around him, the sky is the limit.

I love Mickey too. He’s a great guy with an infectious personality and he’s great at being blunt w/o being toxic. However I think he would be in over his head barring he’d have a former head coach like Patterson as defensive coordinator to help him grow into the position. I’m not bagging on him, love the guy, but his first power 5 job was LSU. I think it needs to be taking into account that Ja’Maar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Trey Palmer were all local recruits. IMO Jefferson is the best of the three and he was a 2 star. His highest rated recruit was 5 star Terrace Marshall whom was also a local recruit. Good job for keeping the local talent instate as we’ve struggled to do so, but LSU is to Louisianans as the Huskers are to Nebraskans w/o the the program falling off a cliff for extended period of time reducing the passion of younger generations. We got who we wanted in-state pretty easily 10 years ago, however we did crap the bed by not offering lots of instate talent that went on to be successful in other programs and NFL. Another thing to note is that Steve Ensminger was the offensive coordinator and Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator, so basically they had two wide receiver coaches with Brady atop the totem pole. Emotional connections can blind us a little. Let me have it.
I won’t be one to let you have it. There has been a lot of koolaid poured over MJ this year. Every other candidate gets his resume torn open by posters and if we want to frankly evaluate each candidate then MJ should be no different. Unfortunately the MJ love will alter a proper evaluation of him just as it did SF. The only difference is SF at least had the resume.
I suspect in about 5 years we would be sitting around .550 and the AD having a hard time justify firing him because he loves the program more than anyone else and the players really care for him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back