• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muzzleloader thread

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Eternal Chairman of the Defense Commission
5 Year Member
There doesn't seem to be any threads started related to muzzleloading, which is my newest hobby. I've shot my brother's Knight-American .50 cal inline muzzleloader, but I've never had my own until now. I had been reading up on what I wanted, and I saw a really good deal on this CVA Wolf v2 .50 cal. Anyone own or shoot one of these? Advice from anyone with experience would be appreciated as to recommendations for sights and accoutrements.

1666707991905.jpeg

Last edited:

Good gun, I've got one. You'll like it. The quick release breech plug is awesome for cleaning or unloading. Uses 209 shotgun primers. The break action is nice too. It's reliable and accurate. It'll do whatever you need it to do. Put a 2x or 3x-7x scope on if you can in your area and you'll be hanging meat in no time!

Good gun, I've got one. You'll like it. The quick release breech plug is awesome for cleaning or unloading. Uses 209 shotgun primers. The break action is nice too. It's reliable and accurate. It'll do whatever you need it to do. Put a 2x or 3x-7x scope on if you can in your area and you'll be hanging meat in no time!

Thanks, that's all great to hear. I have an extra 3-9x scope going unused, so I plan on using that. I'll use pyrodex. Do you have any recommendations for bullets?

I have been wanting to get into muzzle loaders for a few years now. Haven't talked myself into it yet. Now kids are busier during the winter months on Saturdays so that cuts into time I could be hunting with the smoke pole. Soon hopefully.

So anything you learn or figure out good and bad, pass on the info. Will help when I finally pull the trigger on one, pun intended...

Thanks, that's all great to hear. I have an extra 3-9x scope going unused, so I plan on using that. I'll use pyrodex. Do you have any recommendations for bullets?
I hear Hornady has some good ones

but I'm no expert. Been toying with getting a muzzleloader myself. Not happening this year though.

I was doing some research on best muzzle loaders and was reading some reviews at the below links:

Fired my son-in-laws CVA last year and liked it. I haven't decided on which one to buy yet.

Last edited:
As I've said, I'm just getting started as far as having my own muzzleloader, but I have done some shooting and hunting before with my brother's inline muzzleloader. For those who would like an overview for how to shoot the earlier version of the one I bought, this video goes over all of the basics:

I wasn't aware of the 209 powder that he mentioned in the video, but it would be awesome to have something less corrosive than the pyrodex pellets, which is all that I've used. Likewise, I didn't know that they now have bullets that are cleaner.

If you've never been around muzzleloaders, if you watch the video you'll see that the biggest adjustment is the extra steps necessary to neutralize the corrosive effects of the black powder. If you're thinking about getting started, it would be good to shoot somebody else's muzzleloader and then go through the full cleaning process so as to know what you'd be getting into.

On a related note, be very, very leery of purchasing a used muzzleloader. Stores like Cabela's won't purchase used muzzleloaders because they're so likely to be rusted and damaged from neglect. If a guy has never shot or cleaned one, he'll likely buy it, shoot it, and leave it sit like he would with a normal (smokeless) shotgun or rifle. The longer it sits, the worse it gets. This is somewhat helped by the latest versions that come with removable breech plugs because that is the area that has the worst corrosion, even when everything is well cared for.

Last edited:
Okay, so my age must be affecting me ;). I don't have the CVA Wolf, I have a Bergara Accura V2. Darn things looked very similar, and I haven't shot it for a few years. It looks like CVA may have bought out Bergara, so it might be a very similar gun.

I was using Blackhorn 209 powder at around 90 grains if I remember correctly behind a sabot'd Powerbelt bullet. My loads are old enough though, that I think there is some newer stuff out there that might be better. I did like the Blackhorn 209 as it was loose leaf powder, and you could fine tune your loads for accuracy. I wouldn't necessarily go over a 100 grains unless the Wolf can handle it and you are looking for distance. Most of my muzzleloading experience shooting deer was between 75 and 150 yards and the 90 - 100 grains of powder was plenty.

Okay, so my age must be affecting me ;). I don't have the CVA Wolf, I have a Bergara Accura V2. Darn things looked very similar, and I haven't shot it for a few years. It looks like CVA may have bought out Bergara, so it might be a very similar gun.

I was using Blackhorn 209 powder at around 90 grains if I remember correctly behind a sabot'd Powerbelt bullet. My loads are old enough though, that I think there is some newer stuff out there that might be better. I did like the Blackhorn 209 as it was loose leaf powder, and you could fine tune your loads for accuracy. I wouldn't necessarily go over a 100 grains unless the Wolf can handle it and you are looking for distance. Most of my muzzleloading experience shooting deer was between 75 and 150 yards and the 90 - 100 grains of powder was plenty.

I think that I'll give the Blackhorn 209 a try. I'll buy some pyrodex, too. I haven't picked out any bullets yet. I want some cheaper stuff for plinking and something higher end for deer hunting.

There doesn't seem to be any threads started related to muzzleloading, which is my newest hobby. I've shot my brother's Knight-American .50 cal inline muzzleloader, but I've never had my own until now. I had been reading up on what I wanted, and I saw a really good deal on this CVA Wolf v2 .50 cal. Anyone own or shoot one of these? Advice from anyone with experience would be appreciated as to recommendations for sights and accoutrements.

View attachment 89815
T/C Encore with .50 Cal Muzzleloading barrel...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back