• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let's put Mickey Joseph's staff together, shall we.

N2FL

Starter
15 Year Member
I thought I'd have a little fun and put a hypothetical staff together for Mickey. It consists of guys I think he'd keep from the current staff. It also has a couple coaches I think he'd add for obvious reasons. There are some he has worked with in the past and then I took some liberty and filled out the rest with coaches who I feel would be great hires. Coaches who have experience in the Big Ten or the Midwest.

I'm assuming he'd get a rather sizable assistant coach salary pool and could offer these guys raises and/or a better opportunity.

Vance Joseph (Arizona Cardinals) Assistant Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach

Joe Brady (Buffalo Bills) Offensive Coordinator and QB coach

Bill Busch (Nebraska) Special Teams Coordinator

Charlie Partridge (Pitt) Defensive Line Coach and Defensive Run Game Coordinator

Herb Hand (UCF) Offensive Line Coach and Run Game Coordinator

Bryan Applewhite (Nebraska) Running Backs Coach

Al Washington (Notre Dame) Associate Head Coach and Linebackers Coach

Nathan Scheelhaase (Iowa State) Wide Receivers Coach and Passing Game Coordinator

Terry Joseph (Texas) Cornerbacks Coach and Defensive Passing Game Coordinator

Tim Brewster (Jackson State) Tight Ends Coach

Tommy Moffitt (fmr. LSU) Strength and Conditioning Coach

file127488.jpg

Last edited:

I like your list, but curious as to what the connection with MJ for some of those names to think he can pull them in.

Some are obvious (LSU ties, Joseph family), but can you make the connections for how you got to those guys if there are ties to Mickey?

And, that isn't a sharpshooting question, but just hoping you'd share some of how they might know each other if you have it. Admittedly, I'm too lazy to look them all up and make connections.

Since we're talking hypotheticals, I'll take a stab.

I don't know if Vance is sick enough of the NFL to make a move like that. I could see the appeal of working with his brother, but it would be considered a pretty big step back for him IMAO.

Some other interesting choices. Scheelhaase for one, Busch sticking around, Brady.

It would be interesting to watch.

I don't know if Vance is sick enough of the NFL to make a move like that. I could see the appeal of working with his brother, but it would be considered a pretty big step back for him IMAO.

Some other interesting choices. Scheelhaase for one, Busch sticking around, Brady.

I think Vance could do a one or two year collegiate tour of duty … get out of that mess in Arizona and do a massive favor for his brother. Then make a j7mp back into the NFL.

The only way for MJ to get a job is to assemble a staff such as this.

I think Vance could do a one or two year collegiate tour of duty … get out of that mess in Arizona and do a massive favor for his brother. Then make a j7mp back into the NFL.

The only way for MJ to get a job is to assemble a staff such as this.

I'm sure Vance could help sell the deal to some of the other NFL level coaching talent.

Still seems like a massive reach, but what the hell do I know.

I think Busch sticking around would be a no brainer. His wife wants to be here. He seems to have Mickey’s respect being made the DC. Very solid recruiter.

I remembered when Frost dithered on hiring him. Yet ANOTHER red flag. You had a guy who has been successful everywhere he’s been and very well respected. To me he was a no brainer and that thought has only been validated.

I don't know everyone on this list, but the ones I do I like. As a Broncos fan I was not a big Vance fan as HC of an NFL team, but I think he's an outstanding D coordinator and I think a real players coach. I think Mickey has all the intangibles to be an outstanding HC as I don't think he ever thinks he has all the answers. I think people who think they have all the answers generally don't because they're never willing to think someone else may have a better way.

Last edited:

I think Busch sticking around would be a no brainer. His wife wants to be here. He seems to have Mickey’s respect being made the DC. Very solid recruiter.

I remembered when Frost dithered on hiring him. Yet ANOTHER red flag. You had a guy who has been successful everywhere he’s been and very well respected. To me he was a no brainer and that thought has only been validated.
It's simple really.... Would you want to hire someone better at your job than you?

It’s hard for me to critique hirings or non hirings when I don’t know the dynamics of the staff. Sometimes people just don’t fit and I can’t make that call based on a resume.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back