• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

All Star game: broken, or fine as it is?

McJack

Scout Team
15 Year Member
What is it, 84? players named to the rosters including replacements? many of whom are skipping who aren't on the DL. The fact that many players would rather take a 3-day vacation with the wives shows that this game has lost the passion and is slipping quickly into the joke the pro-bowl is. Difference is, the mlb game has "meaning".

-I really don't like pinning world series home field on the outcome of an exhibition game. Should go to best record IMO, or perhaps best combined league record in inter-league play. I think that whole bit was an overreaction to a terrible decision selig made in '02.

-Take away the fan vote. Fan's vote for their favorites, not who is most deserving that particular year, plus the larger markets will always rule. Managers and players are not infallable here either, Pudge made it many years past his prime. Give the entire vote to the BBWA.

-I'm not totally averse to every team having one player. Yes, every year it screws someone and rewards someone less deserving. But I think the alternative would be worse. Again the popularity contest would kick in and big market stars in the november of their careers would get the nod over younger guys from smaller market teams with better numbers. Bottom line, it's not perfect, but it does give every town a chance to cheer for someone.

-Manager's need to show some stones. The phenomenon of playing everybody to prevent hurt feelings is recent. Make up your mind. If the object is to win because of WS home field, then I'm throwing my best SP out there until the late innings and sending my best hitter to the plate everytime it's his turn, i'm not going to pull either just so some injury sub gets to have a cute photo op for his kids.

Last edited:

If I was a player I wouldn't want to play in it after making it a couple times. In the middle of a 162 game season I think I'd rather have the break.

If I was a player I wouldn't want to play in it after making it a couple times. In the middle of a 162 game season I think I'd rather have the break.

me too. unless I was a first-timer I'd probably invent any ailment I could to sleep in my own bed for a couple days.

It was one of the espn pundits, I think buster olney, who suggested a player survey be taken at the beginning of the season if they would choose whether or not to participate so thier names would be left off the ballot altogether. A bit extreme, but probaby helpful to the end process. Although Selig wouldn't go for it in a million years.

all all-star games are kinda lame...loved them as a child but now not so much....it should not actually decide home field though....thats just an over reaction

me too. unless I was a first-timer I'd probably invent any ailment I could to sleep in my own bed for a couple days.

It was one of the espn pundits, I think buster olney, who suggested a player survey be taken at the beginning of the season if they would choose whether or not to participate so thier names would be left off the ballot altogether. A bit extreme, but probaby helpful to the end process. Although Selig wouldn't go for it in a million years.

i think i also heard something fromt the ESPN talking heads along the lines of -- if you don't show up for an All-Star selection (unless on the DL), you simply are left off the ballot next season... along the same lines what you mentioned from olney.

all all-star games are kinda lame...loved them as a child but now not so much....it should not actually decide home field though....thats just an over reaction

i actually love the MLB all-star game... it's the only all-star game where defense is played... pitchers do their thing... and it's always been that way. NBA, NHL, NFL... absolutely no defense -- and scores like you never see during the regular season. the baseball players play with pride and great effort in all facets of the game.

i actually love the MLB all-star game... it's the only all-star game where defense is played... pitchers do their thing... and it's always been that way. NBA, NHL, NFL... absolutely no defense -- and scores like you never see during the regular season. the baseball players play with pride and great effort in all facets of the game.

agreed. it's the only all star game that has any potential for merit. nhl and nba succeed on a certain level as gimmicks because of the back and forth (everybody has to play offense and defense). nfl shouldn't even bother, there's just no way to play half-ass defense and make a football game worthwhile.

Last edited:

All all-star games suck...but the Pro Bowl has to take the cake. Anything the Lifetime Network would broadcast would probably be more compelling television.

the all-star game does not have the lustre it had 50 years ago. Not for me anyway. I guess its an evolutionary thing. My understanding is that the first all star game was played during the great depression in an effort to generate interest in MLB. The all-star game may have simply outlived it usefullness.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back