• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you were Trev

How many people would be pumping their chests for Joseph if he hadn't played for Nebraska?

Nobody's challenging him as a position coach. His coaching and recruiting are exceptional. He'd be a valuable addition to any staff in the country.

But the guy has more experience coaching at the HBCU level than the Power Five level. Trev isn't staking his job on a guy with no experience.

Would Nebraska fans been okay with keeping Donte Williams from Mike Riley's staff in the same scenario? To me that's the perfect comparison. Both are elite recruiters and can basically coach on any staff they want. USC didn't keep him, they went out and found an elite coach and then kept Williams on staff at a really high wage. That's the best case scenario with Nebraska and Joseph.
Who's pumping their chest for Joseph?

Donte Williams went 3-7. Joseph would clearly have to do better than that. And if Trev can bring in someone remotely as successful as Riley that would be another matter as well.

Last edited:

finishing the season 8-4, would make it near impossible to NOT give him the job, but we have seen AD do plenty of dumb things before. 7-5 and there is some room for discussion. It depend, if the recruiting floodgates open up, do to Mickey looking like he is gonna win 7-8 games, then it sure makes you lean toward Mickey as perm HC. 5-6 win prob aint gonna do it. Although getting 6 wins after this disasterous start, will seem like a pretty nice finish, all things considered.

I think he'd probably already have a HC job if he wanted one. I'd wager G5 programs have kicked the tires. There are 11 FBS programs in Louisiana alone not counting LSU. Surely, like La Tech or UL Monroe have inquired.

But he's a player's coach all the way, and that lends itself to position coaching. He's obviously embraced the opportunity at NU, so I think he probably views this as "now or never" in terms of climbing the ladder.
All of that sounds very reasonable. I think he’s loyal too and most programs are only going to ask once and if a coach isn’t interested they don’t ask twice. Circumstances may not have been right when previously asked.

You can swap Illinois and Wisconsin on this list since Illinois just beat Bucky Badger so badly that they felt they had to make a coaching change.

I almost did and I think you can. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Last edited:

finishing the season 8-4, would make it near impossible to NOT give him the job, but we have seen AD do plenty of dumb things before. 7-5 and there is some room for discussion. It depend, if the recruiting floodgates open up, do to Mickey looking like he is gonna win 7-8 games, then it sure makes you lean toward Mickey as perm HC. 5-6 win prob aint gonna do it. Although getting 6 wins after this disasterous start, will seem like a pretty nice finish, all things considered.

Yup. You have to hire him at 8-4. That would mean he's gone 7-1 in conference play and won the division.

At 6-6 or 7-5, it's going to depend on how deep the candidate pool is. If it's looking like 2003 Part 2: Callahan Boogaloo, you give the bag to Mickey all day.

One of the worst-case scenarios I can imagine (and one that would have me lock, stock and barrel believing the Solich curse) is Mickey getting hired by CU and lighting it up while we have another 3-9 fiasco under like Jamey Chadwell.

If I were Trev Albert's I would be making more money than I am.
I would also have more on my plate other than considering what to have for dinner tonight.
Think I prefer the lower pay.

Yup. You have to hire him at 8-4. That would mean he's gone 7-1 in conference play and won the division.

At 6-6 or 7-5, it's going to depend on how deep the candidate pool is. If it's looking like 2003 Part 2: Callahan Boogaloo, you give the bag to Mickey all day.

One of the worst-case scenarios I can imagine (and one that would have me lock, stock and barrel believing the Solich curse) is Mickey getting hired by CU and lighting it up while we have another 3-9 fiasco under like Jamey Chadwell.
Say it ain’t so!! That would solidify the curse!
I think he’ll seriously consider ASU this year if NU passes because Vance is at the Cardinals. ASU is a HEAVY lift though.

Mickey has more head coaching experience than Leonhard.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back