• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you were Trev

For those looking for a benchmark Mickey would need to hit (even though I stand by my previous post), I think if we win the West it would make it very difficult to hire someone over Mickey. We don't have to win-out to win the West, but have to win most of the remaining games. If we made the title game, I'm not sure how you justify bringing someone else in, even though the West is the easiest it has probably ever been to win.

I don't think that is realistic or should be the expectation, but it will be a tougher decision for Trev if that happens.

How can he do all this in the time frame he is going to be given? We can’t wait till mid December for the recruiting class to materialize and he certainly can’t line up a good OC and staff. This selection process has to be completed by handshake before the season is over. If we wait it will have to be Mickey because everyone will be gone.
Which is why MJ is such a long shot. If Trev strikes out on Plans A, B, and C ( maybe Aranda, Leipold, Fickell, Campbell/Kleiman etc), and MJ is moving in the direction of division title etc, MJ has a good chance with the remaining contenders. That is the only chance I see for him.

How can he do all this in the time frame he is going to be given? We can’t wait till mid December for the recruiting class to materialize and he certainly can’t line up a good OC and staff. This selection process has to be completed by handshake before the season is over. If we wait it will have to be Mickey because everyone will be gone.
And that’s the dilemma - I’m not pro or anti Mickey, I just find it interesting the position we’re in. If Mickey does well, that’s awesome, but we likely already have our guy by that point.

Here’s a curveball, what if Mickey does well, but at already have our guy (and for arguments sake let’s say it’s someone at least 50%+ of Husker fans are behind) what if Mickey himself earns himself a head coaching job somewhere else?

Weird times ahead for sure! I do trust Trev and am happy he’s the one leading the ship here.

For those looking for a benchmark Mickey would need to hit (even though I stand by my previous post), I think if we win the West it would make it very difficult to hire someone over Mickey. We don't have to win-out to win the West, but have to win most of the remaining games. If we made the title game, I'm not sure how you justify bringing someone else in, even though the West is the easiest it has probably ever been to win.

I don't think that is realistic or should be the expectation, but it will be a tougher decision for Trev if that happens.
Fair
I think it’s also about the week to week improvement and way the team plays for him. If we continue to look better and play consistently against better talent that counts for something.

Last edited:
How many people would be pumping their chests for Joseph if he hadn't played for Nebraska?

Nobody's challenging him as a position coach. His coaching and recruiting are exceptional. He'd be a valuable addition to any staff in the country.

But the guy has more experience coaching at the HBCU level than the Power Five level. Trev isn't staking his job on a guy with no experience.

Would Nebraska fans been okay with keeping Donte Williams from Mike Riley's staff in the same scenario? To me that's the perfect comparison. Both are elite recruiters and can basically coach on any staff they want. USC didn't keep him, they went out and found an elite coach and then kept Williams on staff at a really high wage. That's the best case scenario with Nebraska and Joseph.

Fair
I think it’s also about the week to week improvement and way the team plays for him. If we continue to look better and play consistently against better talent that counts for something.
If he is a serious candidate, I agree. I just think given the stakes and his qualifications, I don't expect that alone will be enough.

A lot of good stuff in here but question the part where you said that we know he’s going to put together a staff of killers. How do we know this? What makes us believe he would organize a staff better than any other HC we have had in a while? Especially compared to a coach and staff presently proving they are getting it done somewhere like Kansas or Baylor.

As bad as this sounds……if MJ and staff manage to make a big run to end the season…..shouldn’t it be just as reasonable that the entire staff stays at Nebraska?
In that MJ just arrived at Nebraska less than a year ago, I don’t think he’s necessarily bonded or connected to all of his current staff. He and Busch have been on the same staff previously and have experience together. He (MJ) seems to get along with Whipple, so that might be a solid relationship. I’m not sure about the rest of the staff. It isn’t automatic that all of them would even want to stay. They might have other options that they find more to their liking and Mickey might have connections with other coaches he would rather have on his staff.

Last edited:

What would Mickey need to do to get the job?
I think it kind of depends. Team looks better. Fights harder. Wins a few games. Then if Mickey tells me he wants the job I am certainly open. Now if we make a bowl game and the team looks better it would be very hard to not to give Mickey the job.

How many people would be pumping their chests for Joseph if he hadn't played for Nebraska?

Nobody's challenging him as a position coach. His coaching and recruiting are exceptional. He'd be a valuable addition to any staff in the country.

But the guy has more experience coaching at the HBCU level than the Power Five level. Trev isn't staking his job on a guy with no experience.

Would Nebraska fans been okay with keeping Donte Williams from Mike Riley's staff in the same scenario? To me that's the perfect comparison. Both are elite recruiters and can basically coach on any staff they want. USC didn't keep him, they went out and found an elite coach and then kept Williams on staff at a really high wage. That's the best case scenario with Nebraska and Joseph.
Most likely. If I’m Trev, I’m not betting my career and my livelihood on a guy who hasn’t coached and maintained a P5 program at a high level for at least a few years. “Potential” wouldn’t be good enough for me.

Most likely. If I’m Trev, I’m not betting my career and my livelihood on a guy who hasn’t coached and maintained a P5 program at a high level for at least a few years. “Potential” wouldn’t be good enough for me.
This is kind of where I sit as well - AD’s typically only get the opportunity to hire 1 guy in their career, unless the coach leaves on their own or they retire. I just can’t see Trev staking his career on MJ.

This is fair. I just wish the other side could root for others and be allowed to get behind Mickey if he’s chosen. Fans are allowed to nag on other candidates but if you nag on Mickey a few select fans treat you like you are anti Nebraska. Same way anti frost guys were treated last two years. I don’t understand the idea of having to over protect the sitting coach.
Omg, it is so hard being you.
I don't know how you get out of bed every day. Multiple purple hearts to you!

Can you show us on the doll where you hurt most?

Last edited:
What would Mickey need to do to get the job?
First, I'm not smart enough to be Trev... just ask people who know me. But, if I was, I'd know this has to be one of the biggest decisions of my life. Trev speaking: "I had two coaches interested in the job last November when I wanted to fire Frost and made the mistake of having Tom Osborn talk me into giving him another chance. As much as I would love to see Mickey win the job, I have already decided who the next coach will be, especially considering Wisconsin fired Chryst and it accelerated the process."

I support Mickey because he stands on the podium and says the right things, acts the right way, coaches the right way, and had the kids playing with fire on Saturday.
Have you been reading the posts? There are a lot of people that don't support him because he played for NU and we have a few open wounds yet regarding former NU QB's. It is a negative for most, not a positive.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back