• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's only one game but.........!

EyeWilDyeRed

Red Shirt
Last night was just one win but I think we all can agree, that as a fan, it felt special. It wasn't pretty at times but the young men fought to the end and I saw some very positive things. I loved coach Joseph's presence on the sideline. He has a head coach demeanor and has just the right demeanor of fire and ice! One game doesn't make a season but I want to see what these coaches can do going forward. A lot of negative trends got reset last night and for the first time in years the defense was the ones keeping us in the game. There's a lot to be fixed but I've got a good feeling. It's been a while but I'm already getting excited for the Friday game! Let's get behind this team and coaches and show them that they made the right choice coming to Lincoln! What I saw in that locker room after the game brought tears to my eyes watching the celebration as if they won the championship! Coach Joseph deserves to have the "interim" label removed from his title regardless of what might happen! You know this game meant a lot to those kids and it was amazing to watch! Now take the fire to New Jersey and destroy Rutgers! GBR! I could not be happier for the players and the coaches!

Last edited:
It felt great last night, for sure! However, all the feelings I was having then and this morning feel very similar to all the feelings I was having after the NW game last year. We all know the direction that “1 game” took. I hope my jaded view turns out to be wrong, but I’m more on the side of “it was only one game” than I am on and “but...”

So, a new poster, known more for his propensity for trolling than anything else, thinks we should overreact and make MJ the head coach after beating mighty Indiana?

I think I’m going to wait and see how things go as the season unfolds.

But I do like what they have done with the defense, as reflected by success against Indiana. Now do it against increasingly sound opponents.

Last edited:

So, a new poster, known more for his propensity for trolling than anything else, thinks should overreact and make MJ the head coach after beating mighty Indiana?

I think I’m going to wait and see how things go as the season unfolds.

But I do like what they have done with the defense, as reflected by success against Indians. Now do it against increasingly sound opponents.
I'm seeing a lot of overreactions to this one game. Obviously, a trend has to start with a single occurrance. However, for anyone that watched last year's NW game, today has to feel similar. I'm not saying MJ isn't the guy to coach the program. I'm saying anyone believing that to be the case after beating Indiana, at home, after a game featuring 12 penalties is COMPLETELY overreacting. If we are here having this same discussion going into the Michigan game after having gone 3-0 in the next 3 games, I'll be a FAR bigger believer. Its just way too early to draw any meaningful conclusions.

It felt great last night, for sure! However, all the feelings I was having then and this morning feel very similar to all the feelings I was having after the NW game last year. We all know the direction that “1 game” took. I hope my jaded view turns out to be wrong, but I’m more on the side of “it was only one game” than I am on and “but...”
Totally understand BUT I believe coach Joseph is a much better HC than the previous one! I like the defense and the offense has great potential. I'm optimistic but cautious! Just watching the locker room celebration post game gave me shivers! Let's win on the road and start a winning streak!

My first thought was that it only Indiana but then I realized that it was only Indiana that gave the media favorite Illinois their only loss.

AS UM said two years ago, "there's something under the hood in Lincoln" and now it seems as though there IS something good under the hood in Lincoln.

Last edited:
IMO Mickey is in a favorable position.
If he can start stringing together wins, game plan using the team's strengths and shore up some of the team weaknesses, he can improve on the confidence of his player's.
I witnessed halftime adjustments (yes,1 game) that paid dividends against Indiana.
If he can recruit the Offensive and Defensive line player's out of Louisiana and the SEC region, the pieces could very well come together quickly.
I'm not basing these considerations off of last night's victory but I like what I have seen so far.
I will be watching the potential recruiting a little more closely to see how well coach Mickey can sell his vision.

I'm still trying to figure out the odds of getting to a bowl, and if they can steal any wins along the way. Losing 2 of the 3 easiest games on the schedule didn't make MJs job any easier.

Rutgers - NU currently favored, but still too early to know what this team is under MJ. A must win.
Purdue - Another must win as things get harder from here, not that this would be easy.
Illinois - Playing pretty good ball under Chewbacca. Maybe steal this one?
Minnesota - Has our number and one of the current favorites to win the West.
Michigan - Ooof
Wisconsin - Maybe they fall apart by this point?
Iowa - Can we score 10 points to win?

There might still be 4 wins out there. Very little margin for error though.

Nice to win for sure but it's a game we should have won. Hope I'm wrong but unless the team makes some pretty big strides I see maybe 2 more wins on the season. The talent to win is there, the coaching under Frost was just bad. HCMJ is being forced to make changes that should normally be addressed in the off season/spring practice. Rutgers should be a win and IMO will be a good indicator of what to expect for the rest of the season.

Our last game under Frost, I kept hearing the phrase, "maybe we will string two wins together". Everytime it was uttered, ya just had to think of what a sorry state of affairs we had sunk to. Trying to get 2 wins in a row... wow... especially against weak teams! It was a hurt kind of gagging.

Now, with MJ, am hoping for 2 wins strung together but at least the bad taste is gone.

Absolutely enjoyed it. Learned to appreciate the W's! As well all know, closing games out has been hard to come by. With that being said, it was Indiana, without their top 2 wideouts. Regardless, riding high this week! enjoying the feeling while I can.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back