• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New (and smaller) stadium for Northwestern

$800 million, 12,000 fewer seats

fan-image-1.png

For those that were in Dublin as well, it looks an awful lot like Aviva from the inside

47k is a lot for a school like Northwestern. Reducing the number of seats makes it less likely to have a visiting fan base takeover, like when Nebraska has played there and Northwestern had to run a silent count. In a ten year stretch before 2019, Northwestern had 11 capacity crowds at Ryan Field. When you look at the opponents, you can assume the visiting fan base helped with that some. (Source: http://hailtopurple.com/cde/attendance_records.html)

Make the stadium intimate and really nice. Make it a capacity that is realistic to fill up. No doubt this will be a major upgrade to their current stadium, and probably a better viewing experience for the fans. It being enclosed is also very beneficial. With their proximity to Lake Michigan the wind can get pretty strong there. Hopefully the way it is laid out will block some of that.

I wonder if it will be turf, or if they'll stick with the long grass.

Make the stadium intimate and really nice. Make it a capacity that is realistic to fill up. No doubt this will be a major upgrade to their current stadium, and probably a better viewing experience for the fans. It being enclosed is also very beneficial. With their proximity to Lake Michigan the wind can get pretty strong there. Hopefully the way it is laid out will block some of that.

I wonder if it will be turf, or if they'll stick with the long grass.
Off topic here, but I wish we would go to grass. If Iowa State, Northwestern, Michigan State and other such programs can maintain a grass field in midwestern weather, there is no reason we couldn't do so also.

Last edited:

Off topic here, but I wish we would go to grass. If Iowa State, Northwestern, Michigan State and other such programs can maintain a grass field in midwestern weather, there is no reason we couldn't do so also.
Going to have to wait a decade or so for that to potentially happen. I know there was quite a bit of discussion (at least here on the board) about it this past offseason when the old turf needed to come up. You see a lot of places (high schools now included) going to turf, just because it is so easy to manage. You don't have to worry about it getting torn up after a rain storm or anything like that. Grass is generally safer, but turf is slowly making improvements in that area.

Fresh turf looks fantastic, but toward the tail end of its life looks pretty rough.

Looks really nice. Perfect for a small, private school. Kinda like Baylor. Small stadium for a small school. Looks like it could also get really noisy in there. Looks like a good environment. They don’t need a big stadium. That’s stupid. This is smart on their part. They have tons of money. They can’t fill a 50,000 seat stadium, so why build it?
My first time in this stadium was in 1985 while at grad school and they were playing a very good OSU team and the crowd was modest

Since Huskers joined the Big 10, I have been to 3 or 4 games which were better attended mostly due to husker fans.

They just have never had a fan base that was loyal which doesn't mean they don't have donors.

So I think their plan makes sense as I suspect they are positioning to use the stadium for many other activities.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back