• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

I would say that KSU has better fundamentals, and play with a better effort over the last 20 years than Nebraska.
I didn't watch the KSU, Tulane game so my opinion is null and void on that game.
What was your opinion?
Tulane had the best tackling I have seen in a long time. KSU went vanilla on play calling and it cost them

You can make assumptions about Alabama’s offense based on other games that their opponents play, but they are still assumptions, based largely on your opinion, and not facts regardless of the “logic”.
Yes and I have already laid out facts. They recruit as a top team. They perform like a pretty good team. BOB was not responsible for the development of their QB. I have said this a million times, anytime you hire a guy who is running an offense with a Heisman level QB, then you need a bigger sample size. Right now he is running with an amazing QB and they are just average when they face a good D. Nuff said!

Barring guys who are offensive football ninjas in the vein of TO (eg. Meyer, Kiffin, The Pirate) I’m going with a defensive guy at Nebraska 99 times out of 100.

Bo is the only guy with any success post Frank. And if 2009 proved anything, it was that you can have a truly inept offense coupled with a stout defense and still win a lot of football games.

On the flip side, an explosive offense combined with a “bend don’t break” defense can win the AAC but it’s garbage in the Big Ten.

Yay: Aranda, Klieman, Fickell, M. Stoops
Nay: Campbell, O’Brien, Chadwell

Wildcard: Leipold….Although he’s an offensive guy, his long track record as a HC (152-49) suggests program builder.
I tend to agree with you. But Fickell is not going to be productive outside of Ohio and Stoops left a great defense at KSU and became a pretty bad defensive coach at the end of his career.

Yes and I have already laid out facts. They recruit as a top team. They perform like a pretty good team. BOB was not responsible for the development of their QB. I have said this a million times, anytime you hire a guy who is running an offense with a Heisman level QB, then you need a bigger sample size. Right now he is running with an amazing QB and they are just average when they face a good D. Nuff said!
You have laid out minimal facts. You regularly state opinions, claim them to be factual and then run with them. His Heisman level QB won the Heisman under his coaching last year, and that is a fact. They’ve had one game where the defense played well against them this year. You need a bigger sample size before claiming that they are “just average” when they face a good D.

We’ll see how it plays out through the meat of their SEC schedule. I honestly think we don’t know yet this year, although last year’s performance was pretty telling. Young barely played in 2020. 2021 was his first year playing and first year being coached by BOB, and he absolutely blew up and won the Heisman trophy. Who in the world was responsible for developing him if it wasn’t BOB? You think he just developed himself or do you maybe think his coach had something to do with it?

Funny thing is, I’m not even necessarily a big fan of BOB as a head coach candidate for Nebraska. There are several candidates who I think would be better “fits”. I’m just not a fan of you arguing against him based on your feelings.

Last edited:

Make your best case for any of them leaving for Nebraska?

Is it only about the money? Maybe it's only me, but whether I make $3M or $5M, $5M or $8M, I can bet set for life after couple of years. For me, the primary draw would be the setting and various intangibles.

I grew up in Lincoln. I visit family occasionally, but would never return there to live. I find both the city and the university to be uninteresting.

A bit off topic but...they had the chance to make the Haymarket truly interesting and inviting had they followed through with innovative architecture (PBA). Instead, it is filled with a bunch of nondescript buildings that lack any character or interest.
But are you comparing Lincoln to Ames, Manhattan, or Lawrence?

Make your best case for any of them leaving for Nebraska?

Is it only about the money? Maybe it's only me, but whether I make $3M or $5M, $5M or $8M, I can bet set for life after couple of years. For me, the primary draw would be the setting and various intangibles.

I grew up in Lincoln. I visit family occasionally, but would never return there to live. I find both the city and the university to be uninteresting.

A bit off topic but...they had the chance to make the Haymarket truly interesting and inviting had they followed through with innovative architecture (PBA). Instead, it is filled with a bunch of nondescript buildings that lack any character or interest.
Let's not forget that Alberts said that one of his criteria for the next head coach will be someone who lives, breathes and eats football. So the person may not really care about amenities and recreational opportunities.

It might matter to his family though depending on what stage of life they are in, but if he has kids in school Lincoln is a good place to raise a family.

Ehhh I am still not convinced by Mark Stoops.

He's not my top choice but he's in my top 5. He's had more success at Kentucky than any coach since Bear Bryant. Two 10-win seasons and 6 consecutive bowl appearances at a basketball school is convincing to me.

As I'm sure you are aware, most of the buildings in the Haymarket were built in the early 1900s. The Lincoln City council designated the area an historic landmark district in 1982, which meant that when renovations took place in the 1990s, they had to be period correct.

IMO, it's the only part of the downtown area that has any character or interest. But putting aside our disagreement about aesthetics, when exactly was the opportunity to make it look like a basketball arena built 30 years after it became an historic landmark?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back