• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Coach Bowl.

If ISU wins this Saturday, Matt Campbell will have beaten a 2-2 team. In other words, basically meaningless. But if Baylor wins, Dave Aranda should be our next head coach.

No matter who NU hires it is a gamble and 50% or more of the fan base will not like it.
One thing about this go around is I don't see it being derisive . It's not like the 2017 search where Frost was the slam dunk, but it's not 2003 where we have no idea what's going on and questions things from day 1 either. I think alot of people will says "huh, not my first choice" but if unless we do something crazy like bring Lovie Smith back to the B1G I think the fans will get behind and support the new staff.

One thing about this go around is I don't see it being derisive . It's not like the 2017 search where Frost was the slam dunk, but it's not 2003 where we have no idea what's going on and questions things from day 1 either. I think alot of people will says "huh, not my first choice" but if unless we do something crazy like bring Lovie Smith back to the B1G I think the fans will get behind and support the new staff.

I hope so but I am already seeing people draw lines in the sand for different potential coaches. Hope they are the minority but NU fan history tells me something different.

C

I hope so but I am already seeing people draw lines in the sand for different potential coaches. Hope they are the minority but NU fan history tells me something different.

C
I think that's pretty common with the minority of fans, and theirs nothing you can really do about it. Certain people always have a "my way or the highway" mindset and anyone that doesn't agree with them is an idiot. I actually think fans here have a pretty good history of supporting coaches - heck, for the most part we even supported Riley, even though he was a controversial hire preceded by a controversial firing. Yes, we fired him after 3 games, but I actually look at our treatment of Frost as being a sign of how patient (apathetic?) we've become. There were people calling for his head, but from here on the board I feel that most were either for retaining or in the "fine either way" camp. How many other blue blood programs would bring back a guy for year five with that record and trending data? Yes, Frost was a native son etc. etc. etc., but, we were still supporting a coach that gave us a lot of reasons not to.

Last edited:

The boosters have to be involved so they know who they are buying out in a few years. :) :) :). That’s a joke by the way in case anyone missed it.
EDIT:

LET IT GO.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup. He did pretty well with the players he inherited from Dennis Erickson, and did fairly well with the players he inherited from Bo Pelini.

Bo did well with Callahan players. 2009-10 were Bo's best seasons, imo. Solich did well with Osborne players. 1999 team was Frank's best. Frost's best team was his first, with Riley players.

I think what we've learned is that we need to hire a coach for no more than a 3-year contract then dump them so the next coach can succeed with the prior coach's players.

Also, Riley's greatest stretch of winning was 4-6 years after Erickson had departed. 28-12 in that span.

Last edited:

Bo did well with Callahan players. 2009-10 were Bo's best seasons, imo. Solich did well with Osborne players. 1999 team was Frank's best. Frost's best team was his first, with Riley players.

I think what we've learned is that we need to hire a coach for no more than a 3-year contract then dump them so the next coach can succeed with the prior coach's players.

Also, Riley's greatest stretch of winning was 4-6 years after Erickson had departed. 28-12 in that span.
Actually Bo’s winning percentage was higher his last 3 years than it was his 3 first years. And that included transitioning into a new conference.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back