• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which would you rather have?

Last year most of the teams in the BIG (I think it was 8-10 of them) averaged about 25 points per game, and the top three averaged over 30. So I'm not sure that defenses win championships in the BIG.

As for other conferences, eight teams in the SEC averaged over 30 points per game and two others averaged 29. The top ones averaged 38 and 39. Hard to make the case that defense wins championships in the SEC.

The point is not that the best teams don't have good defenses - they all do. But with the rules the way they are, you better be prepared to score four touchdowns a game if you want to win regularly. And if you want to win championships, you have to score more than that.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but four touchdowns a game does not seem like a defensive battle.

The top teams usually had the best defenses too. In the SEC the top two teams were two of the top defensive teams also. GA was off the charts defensively.

In the BIG the top team was the top defensive team (17 ppg) and the next two had opponents that averaged more than four touchdowns a game.

Last edited:

I want an offense that chews up the defense and chews up the clock. I want a defense that stops the run, pressures the QB and creates turnovers. I want my special teams to be excellent in every aspect.

I want the opposing team to limp onto the bus after the game and realize that they just played the most physical team they’ll ever play (in college, anyway). I want the opposition to lead the NCAA in X-rays received.

Last edited:
I want an offense that chews up the defense and chews up the clock. I want a defense that stops the run, pressures the QB and creates turnovers. I want my special teams to be excellent in every aspect.

I want the opposing team to limp onto the bus after the game and realize that they just played the most physical team they’ll ever play (in college, anyway). I want the opposition to lead the NCAA in X-rays received.
Don't we all!!

I occasionally watch some rugby (which my grandson plays when he's not playing football) and some soccer. For me, the exciting times are when there is a score, not when the scrum is shoving each other around in the middle of the field or pitch or whatever they call it, or when some defenseman in a soccer match kicks the ball out of the area near the goal and half way down the field.

Just different tastes I guess.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back