• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Aranda?

Why Aranda? Because he had one great season as a head coach. And we all know that a guy who had one great season would be a perfect fit at Nebraska.

Oh, wait....

But unlike Frost, Aranda would come in with 10 years of Power 5 coaching experience. And he's coached in the Big Ten. And he has a national title at an SEC school.

This includes three years as DC at Wisconsin -- average national finish was 1st in total defense, 2nd in scoring defense. Aranda's Badgers defense was ranked #1 nationally in scoring defense during his final year there (2015).

Unlike Frost, he's a defensive mind first. He's coached in leagues that emphasize defense. And he even emphasizes defense in a league (the Big 12) that doesn't as much as the Big Ten or SEC (where's he's also coached).

FWIW, I think Frost would have had more great seasons had he stayed put at UCF. It just didn't translate to the Big Ten -- high-powered offense and a "bend don't break" type of defense where you hope to outscore your opponent 56-45 to win games. It's the same reason why I hesitate with someone like Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina currently 21st nationally in scoring offense and 58th nationally in scoring defense against non-P5 competition). Those warm weather climate offenses with mediocre defenses -- finesse over physical -- may not be what's best for Nebraska.

Last edited:
I think it's more than that. Just listening to him speak and watching his teams over the years (as DC as well) he seems like a great fit.

He's a guy I would really like to see get a shot here.
He definitely speaks well. Much better than that "aww shucks" guy Tom Osborne.

I'm Catholic also, and the Franciscans are cool with me. If he were reading Jesuit stuff it would be a different story!
I don’t think the Jesuit message is wrong itself, however some of the people delivering that message have distorted it beyond recognition! It’s disgusting what a few have done.
I think true Jesuit messages have a place but not ones we’ve been hearing the past few years.
My wife is probably more of Jesuit catholic persuasion I’m more Pauline or Franciscan.

He definitely speaks well. Much better than that "aww shucks" guy Tom Osborne.
Weirdly, I think he speaks much like TO. Just a more modern TO. I was there was TO was coach and would be out running at the field. We ran stairs at memorial when warm, Devaney (the absolute worst) in winter. TO talked to us several times just generic 5-10 minute talks. Was always impressed.

But unlike Frost, Aranda would come in with 10 years of Power 5 coaching experience. And he's coached in the Big Ten. And he has a national title at an SEC school.

This includes three years as DC at Wisconsin -- average national finish was 1st in total defense, 2nd in scoring defense. Aranda's Badgers defense was ranked #1 nationally in scoring defense during his final year there (2015).

Unlike Frost, he's a defensive mind first. He's coached in leagues that emphasize defense. And he even emphasizes defense in a league (the Big 12) that doesn't as much as the Big Ten or SEC (where's he's also coached).

FWIW, I think Frost would have had more great seasons had he stayed put at UCF. It just didn't translate to the Big Ten -- high-powered offense and a "bend don't break" type of defense where you hope to outscore your opponent 56-45 to win games. It's the same reason why I hesitate with someone like Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina current 21st nationally in scoring offense and 58th nationally in scoring defense against non-P5 competition). Those warm weather climate offenses with mediocre defenses -- finesse over physical -- may not be what's best for Nebraska.
He has done well assisting good head coaches, that's for sure. I'd love to hire him as the DC for our next head coach.

Though Baylor doesn't have to publicly disclose (private school), Aranda is reportedly making $4 million/year. Frost was making more.

Nebraska should offer Aranda somewhere in the $7-8 million/year range. That's the range Cristobal at Miami, Napier at Florida, and Venebles at OU signed for in their current first-year head coaching jobs. That's a big boost in pay for Aranda.
I believe that coaching contracts should provide for generous bonuses based upon performance: W/L, conference championship (participate in/win), BIG championship (participate in/win), and perhaps other less obvious measures.

We're going to pay you $5, but you can get to $7 or $8. National championship...$10.

I believe that coaching contracts should provide for generous bonuses based upon performance: W/L, conference championship (participate in/win), BIG championship (participate in/win), and perhaps other less obvious measures.

We're going to pay you $5, but you can get to $7 or $8. National championship...$10.

Not that hate the idea -- but you have to follow the market. If that's the type of contract Nebraska would present, it would limit the potential coaching pool.

He’s also a pretty good head coach. He’s not taking the job as a DC when he is a current successful HC
16-10. Whether or not he's a flash in the pan or the guy we need at Nebraska is yet to be determined. Too much of a gamble at this point. If our program doesn't show a pulse right out of the gates with the next guy, we should consider dropping down a level, or shutting it down for a few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back