• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

What is the culture and how do you think he doesn’t fit it? Based on what I’ve seen, a coach is a fit for the culture if he wins games. The more he wins, the better he fits.

If he peaks at 9-10 wins per year, some fans will take out their microscope and try to figure out why he doesn’t fit. But otherwise, wins is pretty much the only real cultural requirement.
I'll start with the bolded and disagree. Trev talked about about, "what does our unique culture need...and what is our culture going to be as a team..." "Just win, baby" doesn't seem like Trev Alberts and our program has always been more reflective of "more than winning" than "just win, baby." Make no mistake, winning is important and I'm not hinting otherwise, but we typically look at that as an AND proposition, not EITHER/OR. I absolutely do not see B'OB embracing our rural and agricultural roots as a state to have positive interactions with fans and boosters. Maybe unfair but I see BO'B more as Rob Lowe in Tommy Boy telling some guy in York that his shoes are worth more than that guy's life.

To the second piece of his quote on defining the culture of the team- I'm not sure what that looks like. Watch Alabama's offense this year and consider us running it with 3*s and as many walk-ons as 5*s. Is that what Trev wants? I can't answer that, but I'm sure Trev will dig into it in his interviews.

Trev talked about finding the right coach who sees NU as "an opportunity to rebuild, and build something special here." When I hear that, I don't think, Bill O'Brien. Again, when I think B'OB, I don't see a guy looking to rebuild a team and build something special unless or until that team is the Patriots.

I don't doubt that when Trev or 3rd parties ask around, B'OB's name will get thrown out as a guy Trev should consider. But...I also wouldn't be surprised in the least if BO'B himself looked at the NU job and decided it wasn't a good fit for him.

All the above is my personal opinion and we all have some things we like or dislike about guys being speculated for the job. I'm not trying to convince you to see it my way. I personally, just don't see BO'B as a being a good fit. Aranda, Fickell, Campbell, Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, Whittingham, Mendenhall, to me, are all a much better cultural fit.

I'll start with the bolded and disagree. Trev talked about about, "what does our unique culture need...and what is our culture going to be as a team..." "Just win, baby" doesn't seem like Trev Alberts and our program has always been more reflective of "more than winning" than "just win, baby." Make no mistake, winning is important and I'm not hinting otherwise, but we typically look at that as an AND proposition, not EITHER/OR. I absolutely do not see B'OB embracing our rural and agricultural roots as a state to have positive interactions with fans and boosters. Maybe unfair but I see BO'B more as Rob Lowe in Tommy Boy telling some guy in York that his shoes are worth more than that guy's life.

To the second piece of his quote on defining the culture of the team- I'm not sure what that looks like. Watch Alabama's offense this year and consider us running it with 3*s and as many walk-ons as 5*s. Is that what Trev wants? I can't answer that, but I'm sure Trev will dig into it in his interviews.

Trev talked about finding the right coach who sees NU as "an opportunity to rebuild, and build something special here." When I hear that, I don't think, Bill O'Brien. Again, when I think B'OB, I don't see a guy looking to rebuild a team and build something special unless or until that team is the Patriots.

I don't doubt that when Trev or 3rd parties ask around, B'OB's name will get thrown out as a guy Trev should consider. But...I also wouldn't be surprised in the least if BO'B himself looked at the NU job and decided it wasn't a good fit for him.

All the above is my personal opinion and we all have some things we like or dislike about guys being speculated for the job. I'm not trying to convince you to see it my way. I personally, just don't see BO'B as a being a good fit. Aranda, Fickell, Campbell, Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, Whittingham, Mendenhall, to me, are all a much better cultural fit.
I agree. Trev basically said culture begets winning vs. winning begets culture. O’Brien doesn’t seem like a ‘culture begets winning‘ type to me. He’s more of the NFL ‘winning is the only thing’ type. And while we are kind of win starved here right now, I don’t think the NFL mindset will work in Nebraska, at least not long-term. I’m one who would stay away from Bill O’Brien…

The only way I see Mickey and Busch staying is if they somehow have close connections with the new head coach. Not sure who among the possible candidates have worked with them before.

Last edited:
Those three are all more of the same for our future in my opinion.

With the BIG 12 circling the toilet, we should be looking at Gundy and maybe Aranda

My top 4 right now would be:

1. Urban (give him 7 year 70 mill, put a morality clause in his contract and tell him he can have his successor on staff if his performance is over certain KPI's)
2. Gundy (been at OSU long time and hasn't had a losing season since 2005 I think)
3. Aranda
4. Bieniemy (keep Joseph on staff somehow and add Bieniemy and you have on of the best recruiting tandems in the country)

The theory sounds good but the results won’t be what you think. I don’t see Mickey and Busch accepting positions that they previously had. Making them offensive and defensive coordinators going forward is counter productive to what you just mentioned. Hard to assemble great staffs if you are going to hire inexperienced and unproven coordinators
I disagree, if Mickey wants to be an OC - it is not going to happen at B1G/SEC level - will have to take a step down and prove it to do that. Busch was not 'a thing' recently and has deep ties to DONU I don't think he'll have anyone knocking down his door.
I agree that neither of them should be OC/DC here - but i think that BO'B would have a chance at keeping them

I don’t want anyone who has “done well under difficult conditions.” “Think of what they could do here…” Etc. I want someone who has won big. Period. I don’t want 7-5 an 8-4 and we wonder what the ceiling is. I want someone who knows how to win conference championships at least, and national championships if possible.

They don’t necessarily have to have been an HC and done that, but at least been on a staff that has. I think you have to be able to point to skins on the wall for recruiting and fan support and team support.

That’s why I want Fickell and whoever else might fit that bill. I don’t want Aranda, O’Brien, Campbell.

Aranda has won a NC as defensive coordinator and a Big 12 championship as HC. So he checks you box.

C

Win baby win, implies win at all costs. Clearly that is not the Nebraska fan culture. A Nebraska fan base expects the wins to come from a clean program. It is a “it’s not just winning” culture in words. But in practice winning has not been sufficient as reflected by two very successful coaches being fired. It’s not just about winning. It’s about winning championships.

As far as concerns about O’Brien running the Alabama with Nebraska walk ons, I think they are overstated at this point. First, we don’t know if he will want to maintain a death grip on offensive play calling or whether he will want to hire an offensive coordinator that can run an offense. Secondly, I would like to think he will try to recruit players if he coaches here, so I doubt he will be trying to run an offense based on walk ons.

But isn’t this criticism applicable to a lot of the candidates, Are any of them going to embrace filling out their team with walk ons?

On the idea that he would reject NE agricultural culture, I would have to think he would be amused to be characterized as a Rob Lowe type. I don’t know him at all and have only see his picture. I don’t get that city slicker elite vibe from him, but who knows. I imagine boosters would enjoy having someone who isn’t in gym clothes and a wad of chew in his mouth.

If he is not interested in the locale or the challenge I doubt Trev will be hiring him so that’s a wash.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back