• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

6 more wins would make him a saint with this mess.

If he can do that I'd almost certainly support him. Same deal as a battlefield commission. Prove it in live action. He would then be what many say they wan't, "a proven winning HC at the power 5 level."

I see virtually no chance it will happen though, and that won't be a negative reflection on Mickey. He just won't be the HC.
Expecting 6 wins ain't fair. But, imo, for Mickey to sniff a chance at consideration, with his lack of coordinator and P5 head coaching, he has to prove it with something most consider impossible.

Do you know anyone that thinks we can win more than two more this year? I dont.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes a new head coach can make is failing to retain an assistant or two from the previous staff (barring unusual circumstances). Unless he was already coaching in the same conference when hired, he's going to have to prepare for a lot of new/unfamiliar opponents, a job that can be made much easier if there are assistants who have already been through conference battles. Same situation with established relationships in the recruiting footprint. I think MJ would be invaluable in both of these areas at Nebraska if he's not retained as 'permanent' head coach after this season. These games are also an audition for a coordinator position. Regardless of how this stint works out, Mickey Joseph is going to land on his feet. Whether it will continue to be at Nebraska or at another program remains to be seen. I wish him well. In the end, MJ needs to do what's best for his professional career and his family.
I think one of the bigger things is that a retained coach can give insights on the players who are on the team. That is one of the hardest things moving into a new situation is figuring out guys strengths/weaknesses, how they respond to different styles of coaching, etc. I'd be less worried about some of the other stuff, but I think someone who has a really good relationship with the guys who are left would be good to keep on.

Expecting 6 wins ain't fair. But, imo, for Mickey to sniff a chance at consideration, with his lack of coordinator and P5 head coaching, he has to prove it with something most consider impossible.

Do you know anyone that thinks we can win more than two more this year? I dont.

Considering the potential abyssmal mental state of the team (not to mention football playing weaknesses), I can't even see them winning one more game. I don't care what kind of motivator Mickey is... the ditch is deep and I doubt they can motivate or even X and O their way out. Jeez.. I hate to write that.

I think some fans are falling into the “podium” love.
Guilty here. Can't really count the OU game and at the podium I luv his outlook. He's already a winner there. :thumbsup:

Am prolly repeating but for those that didn't hear...on 1620 it was told that a player, either at half or end of game, was walking slowly with head down as rest of team was running off field. MJ went over to him and somebody in hearing distance said MJ put his finger on his chin and said, "Head up."... gave him a pat on the back and then both ran off field together.

So, two things. Think we mostly agree MJ can light the fire under the players and gain their trust. If he instills that "run thru walls" mentality then I would think that alone could improve execution. IMO, think whatever diviseness exists will melt quickly. Think he means it when he says younger players will get their due chance if it is shown to him in practice. That will make better competiveness in a good way. Sounds like if players are selfish in anyway he will "truthfully" give their choice in cut and dry version and leaving is always be their option. That's one reason it could look worse before better.

Secondly, it's been said on this board multiple times that a good leader doesn't have to be the smartest person in the room if he surrounds himself with good people. Think his maturity and personality would form a cohesive and long lasting staff. And that alone might keep portal exits low. MJ seems to check off a lot of boxes with the one unchecked one being not having experience as HC on this level.

To keep saying he could be kept as a position/recruiting coach even by new staff might not be an option. His audition is mainly for this job but AD's across the country will see his performance also and if he does well without more time, they could show interest too. Maybe MJ will be glad to return to being position coach. He seems to know himself well enough that he would do that if that's truly where his heart is. Also I'd hate to lose him and be sorry to see him be a great coach somewhere else. Think this could maybe be the right timing for him and us.

Of course we have to see how he these 8 games go but man! I'm really rooting for him. If he could check that last box, feel confident that he'd put a shining face on NE football. GBR!!!

Considering the potential abyssmal mental state of the team (not to mention football playing weaknesses), I can't even see them winning one more game. I don't care what kind of motivator Mickey is... the ditch is deep and I doubt they can motivate or even X and O their way out. Jeez.. I hate to write that.
It's a tall task. So you're saying there's a chance? Highly improbable. Virtually impossible. If Mickey were to pull it off, you gotta give him consideration. Six wins in this 8 game schedule, when most can't find even two?

That's all I'm saying

No. It seems like the likability factor is being overvalued in considering MJ. It’s certainly a plus and he brings a lot of positives with his personality but there simply is no substitute for HC experience. Sure, If he runs the table this year I might change my mind but that isn’t going to happen.

It's a tall task. So you're saying there's a chance? Highly improbable. Virtually impossible. If Mickey were to pull it off, you gotta give him consideration. Six wins in this 8 game schedule, when most can't find even two?

That's all I'm saying

There's always a chance..... if Mickey finds 6 wins he should no doubt get a big raise and a personal parking spot.

No. It seems like the likability factor is being overvalued in considering MJ. It’s certainly a plus and he brings a lot of positives with his personality but there simply is no substitute for HC experience. Sure, If he runs the table this year I might change my mind but that isn’t going to happen.
Few are saying hiring because he's likable. Some are saying give him a chance to prove himself this season before you totally dismiss him, becausehe seems credible, and seems likeable. Virtually everyone says we're asking him to do the impossible.

Guilty here. Can't really count the OU game and at the podium I luv his outlook. He's already a winner there. :thumbsup:

Am prolly repeating but for those that didn't hear...on 1620 it was told that a player, either at half or end of game, was walking slowly with head down as rest of team was running off field. MJ went over to him and somebody in hearing distance said MJ put his finger on his chin and said, "Head up."... gave him a pat on the back and then both ran off field together.

So, two things. Think we mostly agree MJ can light the fire under the players and gain their trust. If he instills that "run thru walls" mentality then I would think that alone could improve execution. IMO, think whatever diviseness exists will melt quickly. Think he means it when he says younger players will get their due chance if it is shown to him in practice. That will make better competiveness in a good way. Sounds like if players are selfish in anyway he will "truthfully" give their choice in cut and dry version and leaving is always be their option. That's one reason it could look worse before better.

Secondly, it's been said on this board multiple times that a good leader doesn't have to be the smartest person in the room if he surrounds himself with good people. Think his maturity and personality would form a cohesive and long lasting staff. And that alone might keep portal exits low. MJ seems to check off a lot of boxes with the one unchecked one being not having experience as HC on this level.

To keep saying he could be kept as a position/recruiting coach even by new staff might not be an option. His audition is mainly for this job but AD's across the country will see his performance also and if he does well without more time, they could show interest too. Maybe MJ will be glad to return to being position coach. He seems to know himself well enough that he would do that if that's truly where his heart is. Also I'd hate to lose him and be sorry to see him be a great coach somewhere else. Think this could maybe be the right timing for him and us.

Of course we have to see how he these 8 games go but man! I'm really rooting for him. If he could check that last box, feel confident that he'd put a shining face on NE football. GBR!!!
Don’t take this personal as I like how you are feeling about this but it’s the same thing. It’s koolaid and speculation. Let’s be truthful. Prior to this falling in his lap he hasn’t been even speculated as a head coach or even coordinator anywhere. I certainly believe that all this stuff everyone is trying to say he possesses that makes him a great HC candidate would have been noticed by other programs during his 27 year coaching career. If he wasn’t here on an interim basis he would be getting zero….and I mean zero consideration for head coach here.

I think one of the bigger things is that a retained coach can give insights on the players who are on the team. That is one of the hardest things moving into a new situation is figuring out guys strengths/weaknesses, how they respond to different styles of coaching, etc. I'd be less worried about some of the other stuff, but I think someone who has a really good relationship with the guys who are left would be good to keep on.
Does he have a really good relationship with the players?

Some are saying give him a chance to prove himself this season before you totally dismiss him,
Keep in mind you are on a thread that is asking us to support giving him a full year more based on a blow out loss to OU , a 0–1 record and a strong performance on the podium. There is no doubt the situation is such that he is being given a chance. But I doubt fans…and hopefully Trev aren’t awaiting this season’s results to measure who offers the best leadership going forward.

Keep in mind you are on a thread that is asking us to support giving him a full year more based on a blow out loss to OU , a 0–1 record and a strong performance on the podium
that's one helluva newsflash. I feel more educated already
. There is no doubt the situation is such that he is being given a chance.
Long odds, but im saying theres a chance
But I doubt fans…and hopefully Trev aren’t awaiting this season’s results to measure who offers the best leadership going forward.
I'm sure Trev will do his due diligence. When Mickey turns in a 2-7 record, Trev will thank him for his efforts.

Last edited:

This is no time to be taking chances on a very inexperienced coach. Trev needs to get this right the first time. And he needs somebody with a proven track record or we do it all over again in 2 years. I know he isn't loaded with head coaching experience, but this guy is smart, understands culture, has been successful in several spots, and reminds me a little of the guy who's coaching down in the swamp right now.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back