• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Aranda driven by culture

We also had a coach with decades of HC experience at the P5 level who didn't do well either. Hiring coaches is always a crapshoot. I think Aranda would be a great fit culturally as well as from a football perspective. Watch how physical Baylor plays, it definitely puts a smile on my face.
So how would you feel about his hire should Baylor have a losing season this year? Just asking the question because it would certainly give me pause. Perhaps Aranda is the perfect fit for Nebraska but lets remember there's a lot of differences between Baylor and Nebraska.
Yes I'd feel the same. If Frost was a grinder, pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail instead of the margaritas, had late nights in the film room instead of Gate 25, and still wound up 16-31 maybe I would have reservations for DA. But from everything I've seen Aranda is someone who preaches accountability and culture, with a defensive background that I think we desperately need in our next HC.

Aranda and Frost are not cut from the same cloth.
Well hindsight is always 20/20! If your ok with a single winning season and take the plunge for multi millions because we're surely talking that kind of money that's fine. Lets remember Baylor is a very different culture than you'll find at Nebraska imo. I'm not in the position to know the facts regarding Frosts short comings except he certainly did not produce winning teams. Many here seem to know all the negative facts about Frost but I'm not!

Simply pointing out you are what your record says you are and he doesn't have much of record imo to pay millions and millions. If you're going to hire more on intangibles that's fine just recognize we're rolling dice. There's potential HC hires out there with at least 4 or 5 years experience and a proven track record. Aranda might be the the next super coach but that jury is out for the next several years imo. Not saying we shouldn't hire Aranda. However we should proceed with caution before once again doling out millions of dollars based on a limited data points.
We're rolling the dice with anyone. There isn't a sure thing in the group. I agree with you that we don't want a flash in the pan. Frost's perfect year at UCF appears to be just that. That being said, the interview process should look at a lot more than wins and losses. Win and losses can tell a lot, but success in football at this level requires certain things.

If the goal is to get a program transforming guy, I don't think we will be able to get one of those guys once he has proven himself elsewhere. Guys like Saban, Day, Dabo, Smart, Riley, etc. aren't going to give Nebraska a look. If we want one of those guys, we'll have to find them before they become one of those guys.

Yep, it is a gamble. But there are a lot of "sure things" that end up turning out to be gambles too. I'm not saying Aranda is the guy, but I wouldn't disqualify him for lack of experience.

We're rolling the dice with anyone. There isn't a sure thing in the group. I agree with you that we don't want a flash in the pan. Frost's perfect year at UCF appears to be just that. That being said, the interview process should look at a lot more than wins and losses. Win and losses can tell a lot, but success in football at this level requires certain things.

If the goal is to get a program transforming guy, I don't think we will be able to get one of those guys once he has proven himself elsewhere. Guys like Saban, Day, Dabo, Smart, Riley, etc. aren't going to give Nebraska a look. If we want one of those guys, we'll have to find them before they become one of those guys.

Yep, it is a gamble. But there are a lot of "sure things" that end up turning out to be gambles too. I'm not saying Aranda is the guy, but I wouldn't disqualify him for lack of experience.
I look at Harbaugh.
Been around,been successful, but it took him years to adapt/change/fit to re achieve his previous successes elsewhere at his school.
I think thats part of the fit TA is looking for

Trust me, I caught grief elsewhere for having these very same thoughts about SF.
My hope is as others look at this they can eliminate these legitimate doubts through various knowledge/findings.
Such as, both he and SF became successful in a successful program, but how did/does their HCing approaches differ? In practice? Detail etc.

And I agree, incentive laden due to lack of greater experience
Yes, I don't think you throw Saban money at a guy who had one good season as a head coach. You pay them enough to make it worth their while. You put in plenty of incentives that maybe get them up toward Saban money if they are Saban successful, and you have a very real detailed conversation of what the compensation road map is going to look like over time. You open the pocket book to allow that coach to bring in the assistants that are going to be successful.

I'm also not disqualifying him. Simply pointing out that caution should be used when evaluating our next HC as we've made enough mistakes. If you want to look at a coach that's actually built a nice program, has a lot of Big 10 experience it would be Luke Fickle imo. He certainly has a nice recuriting pipeline into Ohio and PA. There's plenty of options imo and I'm sure TA won't get stampeded by popular acclaimation which is what happened with Frost.

So how would you feel about his hire should Baylor have a losing season this year? Just asking the question because it would certainly give me pause. Perhaps Aranda is the perfect fit for Nebraska but lets remember there's a lot of differences between Baylor and Nebraska.

Well hindsight is always 20/20! If your ok with a single winning season and take the plunge for multi millions because we're surely talking that kind of money that's fine. Lets remember Baylor is a very different culture than you'll find at Nebraska imo. I'm not in the position to know the facts regarding Frosts short comings except he certainly did not produce winning teams. Many here seem to know all the negative facts about Frost but I'm not!
One negative side effect to SF not panning out is there will be a perceived risk with any coach we bring in since SF was supposed to be a sure thing. I'm confident there will be a thorough vetting process to ensure whoever is hired doesn't have any off the field distractions.

That said, I'm high on Aranda, Fickell, and Leonard. But if we hire Campbell, Leipold, Klieman, or whoever else, I will be confident that they will bring with them a culture of accountability and hard work since that is what TA is looking for.

Or is this all a media leak sponsored by Aranda to get him a raise as mentioned earlier in this thread. Way too early for anything ladies and gentle persons. GBR

Baylor is definitely a different place than Nebraska, but then again, so is everywhere else. "There is No Place Like Nebraska" is more than a song, it is a reality. Any coach we hire is going to presented with a unique combination of pros and cons that no other school has.

People like Campbell because he coaches in the middle of nowhere, but can develop kids that might not be the best athletes. That is something that does translate to the circumstances at Nebraska. What doesn't translate for him are the expectations from Iowa State to Nebraska. Cyclones fans are giddy with 8-9 wins and beating Iowa. Nebraska fans will initially be happy with that, but at some point will be hungry for more.

You've got to find someone who can handle the either handle the issues that Nebraska uniquely presents, or find someone who is so good at what they do they can completely destroy the challenges that are in place. An example of that would be Urban Meyer and recruiting. Nebraska is a hard place to recruit to (sometimes this gets overstated, but it is still true). Meyer is the only guy on the list who could walk in Day 1 and have that not be an issue, because his name carries enough clout that he could pull in 4*/5* guys in spite of our location. [Not saying that is who we should hire, either. Merely using it to highlight my point.]

Every single person that is mentioned has a question mark (and not a small one). I think that is why, this time maybe more than ever before, it is important for TA and company to go into this process with an open mind. If you walk into this with one or two guys on your list, I don't think we come out of the coaching search as winners.

I'm also not disqualifying him. Simply pointing out that caution should be used when evaluating our next HC as we've made enough mistakes. If you want to look at a coach that's actually built a nice program, has a lot of Big 10 experience it would be Luke Fickle imo. He certainly has a nice recuriting pipeline into Ohio and PA. There's plenty of options imo and I'm sure TA won't get stampeded by popular acclaimation which is what happened with Frost.
Fickell is someone I'd consider, as well. But, I can poke plenty of holes in his resume, too.

Fickell got a chance to coach in the B1G as head coach of arguably the conference's top program. He posted the first losing season for the program since 1988 and wasn't kept in that role after that season. He has been very successful at Cincinnati, a school that has low football expectations, despite being in a very good area for recruiting. He has dominated the AAC, which Frost proved doesn't guarantee success at this level. We've seen coaches be successful at Cincinnati with mixed results at the next level (Dantonio and Kelly- good; Jones and Tuberville- bad).

Then you'll respond: He was handcuffed by the interim tag at OSU and was really a sitting duck until Urban arrived. Not to mention he was dealing with NCAA sanctions. If you go back and look he played everyone competitively that year and had to deal with his star QB getting hurt. Sure Cincinnati isn't in the SEC, but he brought them up to a level that was able to compete with some of the best teams in the country with limited resources. He was the first coach to take a Group of 5 team to the CFP.

I can do this exercise with literally everyone on the list. For every point, there is a counterpoint. There is some level of a gamble with them all. I'd specifically want to have a conversation with each to find out how they are going to fix Nebraska football, not spend a bunch of time focusing on the past.

It might give me pause, but the flip side of this is also true: if a potential candidate has a big year this year, that doesn't necessarily translate to success in Lincoln. I like that he has been successful defensively in 3 different P5 conferences. It shows that he can adapt to all styles of offense.

Team Aranda all the way.

You know, I look at this and see a guy who loves talking football - the x’s and o’s stuff. You get the impression that this is what drives him and gets is blood pumping. I never got that impression from SF. We need that here at Nebraska. I‘m not saying Aranda specifically (he’d fit the bill), but someone who lives and breathes football and wants to spend their time doing it…

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back