• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

Dude is a class act and a top flight position coach. The rest of this season will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. There’s been so much weirdness surrounding the SF saga that the whole of Husker Nation needs some sense of stability. And honestly MJ is the perfect dude for that role. I hope he absolutely knocks it out of the park. Don’t know if he will make the cut for the HC role, but his contribution to the team and university during this tenuous time will probably go unnoticed and unsung until we are down the road a ways. For instance one of his quotes within past few days: "Like I said, we're going to do things the right way. We're not going to try to sabotage anything. If we don't get the job and we have to leave here, they're going to say we left this place better than we found it." Spoken like a true leader and a humble friend to Husker Nation.
I get nervous now when a Nebraska coach states that " we are gonna due this the right way".
That was a Frost line used frequently along with others such as " players either can't or won't, and we want players at Nebraska that love football".
I apologize to Mickey and to you Ultra Red, it's just my fallible human instinct to be skeptical.
I personally like Mickey better than the other names circulating for head coach.
GBR!

All the more reason to back Mickey Joseph NOW. Give him a contract 1 or 2 years beyond this season. Give Alberts time to get this imaginary “Home Run Hire” right, in the slim-chance case Joseph does not work out.
1-2 years will not make recruits feel secure that Mickey will stay around. Head coaches need 5 year contracts in order to recruit properly.

I get nervous now when a Nebraska coach states that " we are gonna due this the right way".
That was a Frost line used frequently along with others such as " players either can't or won't, and we want players at Nebraska that love football".
I apologize to Mickey and to you Ultra Red, it's just my fallible human instinct to be skeptical.
I personally like Mickey better than the other names circulating for head coach.
GBR!
It’s okay my friend. I think we are all a little jaded after riding this roller coaster for the past 20 years. The rest of this season and the decision TA will have to make will be very interesting.

I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.
You must have slept through the last 4 years. We pilgrims are restless and he has to turn the program before the end of the current 8 game schedule

I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.
no

That's not workable on a number of levels, not the least of which being that it would be really hard to recruit to a "we're going to give this guy another year and see how it goes" strategy. You need to lock in a staff for a set time for a rebuild of this mess--and you're probably not going to do that with a guy who hasn't been a coordinator (much less a HC) at the P5 level. Trev needs to turn the page from the Frost debacle and that requires a new figurehead.

I love Mickey and hope he sticks withthe program in some way with the new staff. But I don't think he's realistically got a shot at the HC job. His job is to try to get the plane on the runway while hitting as few trees as possible.
Probably so. Even bowl bound ....

I wish HCMJ the best but he has no HC experience. IMPO we need someone who has been great and done this before more than 8 games

Last edited:
Dude is a class act and a top flight position coach. The rest of this season will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. There’s been so much weirdness surrounding the SF saga that the whole of Husker Nation needs some sense of stability. And honestly MJ is the perfect dude for that role. I hope he absolutely knocks it out of the park. Don’t know if he will make the cut for the HC role, but his contribution to the team and university during this tenuous time will probably go unnoticed and unsung until we are down the road a ways. For instance one of his quotes within past few days: "Like I said, we're going to do things the right way. We're not going to try to sabotage anything. If we don't get the job and we have to leave here, they're going to say we left this place better than we found it." Spoken like a true leader and a humble friend to Husker Nation.
I want to see the results. Tired of coach speak.

I wish HCMJ the best but he has no HC experience. IMPO we need someone who has been great and done this before more than 8 games
At this point more than 1 game. Let’s examine the facts. The defense struggled before him. He mixed it up and they looked just as bad. Now he has fired the DC and promoted another. We have seen nothing so far. I guess I’d like to see something happen before we take a totally inexperienced position coach and anoint him into our savior spot. Right now his grade after 1 game is a D+.

GBR!
I think some fans are falling into the “podium” love.

There ya go…. This is why we really need to look no further. The people who are saying “give him a month” or “give him this year” are off base. BE FAIR. So Joseph was a QB here quicker than a damn cat, right? In my estimation a better QB than Frost. Didn’t get the Natty because the surrounding cast was a touch weaker. Don’t employ a double standard here, give this guy a real chance. This year DOES NOT COUNT.

There ya go…. This is why we really need to look no further. The people who are saying “give him a month” or “give him this year” are off base. BE FAIR. So Joseph was a QB here quicker than a damn cat, right? In my estimation a better QB than Frost. Didn’t get the Natty because the surrounding cast was a touch weaker. Don’t employ a double standard here, give this guy a real chance. This year DOES NOT COUNT.
That’s right this year doesn’t count. If it wasn’t for this year he wouldn’t even be on the radar.

He is auditioning for the job now. He gets 8 more games to show what he's got. I like mickey. I hope he earns the job.

It may not seem fair, but if he has the goods, 6 more wins should seal the deal
6 more wins would make him a saint with this mess.

If he can do that I'd almost certainly support him. Same deal as a battlefield commission. Prove it in live action. He would then be what many say they wan't, "a proven winning HC at the power 5 level."

I see virtually no chance it will happen though, and that won't be a negative reflection on Mickey. He just won't be the HC.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back