• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

No. I generally have liked everything you have posted over the 15 years I have been on this board, but I respectfully disagree with your post. Mickey Joseph needs this year, PLUS next year, to prove himself. He’s got the goods, Bro…
It’s not nebraskas responsibility to let him prove himself. He hasn’t proved himself capable of being even a coordinator at a high level in the past.

Nothing on his resume shows it and so far we have a blowout to show for his efforts. Handed a bad hand? Definitely. Let’s not over promote him because of a bad loss and a questionable fire.

Definitely some potential for something like this. That being said, if Mickey wants to be a head coach, I assume he'll be looking to take some sort of added responsibility (coordinator position or a head coaching gig). Our next head coach might have other people in mind, others might be all for keeping him on. Most places are looking for someone who is coming off being a head coach or a coordinator before they'll give them the head job at their school.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes a new head coach can make is failing to retain an assistant or two from the previous staff (barring unusual circumstances). Unless he was already coaching in the same conference when hired, he's going to have to prepare for a lot of new/unfamiliar opponents, a job that can be made much easier if there are assistants who have already been through conference battles. Same situation with established relationships in the recruiting footprint. I think MJ would be invaluable in both of these areas at Nebraska if he's not retained as 'permanent' head coach after this season. These games are also an audition for a coordinator position. Regardless of how this stint works out, Mickey Joseph is going to land on his feet. Whether it will continue to be at Nebraska or at another program remains to be seen. I wish him well. In the end, MJ needs to do what's best for his professional career and his family.

I am worried that we have put ourselves in a HC or he leaves position with Mickey. Not sure how that could have been avoided.
Unfortunately you are correct. I’ve been waiting for someone to say that. Unless it’s Dave arranda who coached with micky I don’t think there is a chance in the world a new coach is going to hang onto a interim coach as a “position” coach.

Without it really being mickeys fault there is already division within the offense and defense. I just don’t see a new coach getting a fresh start with him still around.

Now I know there will plenty of sunshine pumpers come on here and say “ you don’t know that”. You are correct. However in about 9.9 out of 10 times a very inexperienced fill in doesn’t get the job and is often not retained. I see no reason to believe otherwise.

He's the right guy at the right time to hold this mess together, but he's the right guy (maybe) at the wrong time to become the next HC.

Unless Mickey is already considered Trev's man I don't think giving him time is beneficial to the program. I say bring in the new coach and staff ASAP so we can get through the hurt quicker. Everyone knows that Mickey isn't the guy.
What?????? Ok, looks like we got a psychic here. Gee, what Powerball numbers should I play?

College football programs don’t thrive on uncertainty. Either hire him as a full time coach with a standard 5 year or more contract, or don’t. Recruits for next year should know that the university is making a commitment to someone. Trev is looking for a “builder”. Short term contracts are counterproductive to building.
All the more reason to back Mickey Joseph NOW. Give him a contract 1 or 2 years beyond this season. Give Alberts time to get this imaginary “Home Run Hire” right, in the slim-chance case Joseph does not work out.

I hope Mickey can get Nebraska to a bowl game.
With his desire to preach and practice fundamentals, his connection's and relationship's with his players and his internal knowledge of events that led to his promotion, I can't help but root for the guy.
I have a hunch about Mickey, that I can't explain.
If he gets us to a winning season then I suggest we pay the man.

I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.
It is near impossible to glean much from whatever happens this year. If MJ is able to get another year I suspect we will know a lot more by the end of next year.

YeahI get it. Technically you are correct. Sure, it’s premature. My thread is based on a strong gut feeling. Always correct? No. 90%? Sure.
I’m right there with you though. Give him a longer contract and time. Only issue is that if TA did that, he would only be giving husker nation another reason to be divided.

Dude is a class act and a top flight position coach. The rest of this season will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. There’s been so much weirdness surrounding the SF saga that the whole of Husker Nation needs some sense of stability. And honestly MJ is the perfect dude for that role. I hope he absolutely knocks it out of the park. Don’t know if he will make the cut for the HC role, but his contribution to the team and university during this tenuous time will probably go unnoticed and unsung until we are down the road a ways. For instance one of his quotes within past few days: "Like I said, we're going to do things the right way. We're not going to try to sabotage anything. If we don't get the job and we have to leave here, they're going to say we left this place better than we found it." Spoken like a true leader and a humble friend to Husker Nation.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back