• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

Losing 10 scholarships a year is a “slap in the wrist”?

Bill O’Brien’s Houston Texan’s team won 4 division championships in 7 years. Admittedly, he flamed out and got fired after starting 0-4 in 2020. His Penn State teams were 15-9. He was named National Coach of the Year and Paul “Bear” Bryant Cosh of the Year in 2012. This is the factual information, which seems to differ significantly from your “feelings” about him.

I’m not saying he’d be my number 1 choice, but he wouldn’t be a bad choice either. Other than your “feelings” I’d be interested in understanding why you think he would be such a poor choice.
Awards are subjective and comparing NFL to college is like apples and oranges. The offense styles that excel in college is not the same that excels in the NFL. Which is exactly why his college teams have always been and played below their talent level.

I too think TA will do what is best and that is why I doubt he is putting too much into BOB. BOB does not check enough of the boxes that TA said he was looking for. In fact, I don't know that he checks any of the boxes.

My standards are not good? The very high achieving programs that he was/is a part of were the New England Patriots who made it to two Super Bowls while he was an assistant coach there and the Alabama Crimson Tide, who are currently ranked #2 in the AP College football poll. How much higher could my standards actually be?
Why do you keep comparing the NFL to college. It is barely even the same sport. Not only that but you look at his performance at Alabama like he achieved something. Alabama was ranked #1 before he took over. Now they are number 2. So what? If anything you can say he has failed to perform. I would say that dropping one spot does not necessarily indicate this but Alabama's clear weakness right now is on offense. Heck, it lost them the NC last year.

If we can't land Aranda or Fickell, I'd rather take a chance on a top coordinator like Leonard that knows defense and knows the B1G than bringing in a guy with more HC experience but doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling. Look at Venables, he's a first time head coach and OU is humming right along (granted that wasn't a rebuild).

:Sign2cents:
I do think the BOLD is one of the most critical components. Aranda, Fickell, have both had success in the B1G and I believe understand what it takes to be successful as HC's building programs. Those are my two ponies.

Last edited:
My standards are not good? The very high achieving programs that he was/is a part of were the New England Patriots who made it to two Super Bowls while he was an assistant coach there and the Alabama Crimson Tide, who are currently ranked #2 in the AP College football poll.
Why do you keep comparing the NFL to college. It is barely even the same sport. Not only that but you look at his performance at Alabama like he achieved something. Alabama was ranked #1 before he took over. Now they are number 2. So what? If anything you can say he has failed to perform. I would say that dropping one spot does not necessarily indicate this but Alabama's clear weakness right now is on offense. Heck, it lost them the NC last year.
To quote John McEnroe, “You can’t possibly be serious”.

Last year with Bill O’Brien as OC, Alabama finished 4th in the country in total offense and his QB won the Heisman trophy and was the consensus All-American at his position. Yes, their offense was “so bad” last year that they won the SEC championship and made it to the finals in the CF playoff, losing to Georgia who they had defeated in the SEC championship game. Their offense cost them the game? I’d love to have an offense that was “so bad” that it finished 4th in the country in total offense, won my QB the Heisman Trophy, carried me to a conference championship and the national championship game, but then “cost me the game” in the championship.

I’ll admit that compared to last year, they are not as good on offense (currently 27th in total offense) but it’s early and the sample size is small. And Alabama is 3-0 and ranked #2 in the country.

Football coaches move from college to the NFL and back all the time. There are differences. But you indulge in hyperbole by saying they are barely even the same sport. Players move every year from playing in college to playing in the NFL. How do they do that if it is barely the same sport? To a certain degree, football is football and coaching is coaching. The major difference is that pro coaches don’t have to recruit. Maybe that would be O’Brien’s weakness and it’s hard to know whether or not that will be true. Aside from that, the objective data shows that he can coach offense, and that he was a winning coach at both the college and pro levels, if anything, more so in college.

I asked you to explain to me why you think Bill O’Brien is a “terrible coach”. So far you have made absolutely no sense and have explained nothing. If there is something that he has said or done that has just rankled you or made you not like the guy, maybe you should tell me. At least that would make some sense.

My top 3 would be Aranda, DeBoer, and Leipold.

O'Brien could be interesting.

Awards are subjective and comparing NFL to college is like apples and oranges. The offense styles that excel in college is not the same that excels in the NFL. Which is exactly why his college teams have always been and played below their talent level.

I too think TA will do what is best and that is why I doubt he is putting too much into BOB. BOB does not check enough of the boxes that TA said he was looking for. In fact, I don't know that he checks any of the boxes.
I take it that you don’t think his success at Alabama last year counts, even though Alabama finished 4th in total offense for the year and his QB finished 2nd in passing yards.

And which of his college teams played “below their talent level” and how in heck did you measure that anyway?

An article from the Atlantic say Bill Obrien has emerged as the leading dog in the race. Sorry no link.

Trev talked at length about defining the culture and hiring someone who fits and not about winning the press conference. I don't see BO'B as a cultural fit.

plus the merchandising - I'm already looking for red t-shirts with the sihloette of his chin!
which one?
1663795978401.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back