• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

Bill O’Brien is an grown-up who has been an OC in very high achieving NFL and P5 programs and who has been moderately successful as both an NFL and Big 10 head coach. How is this not a significant upgrade over the past 4 years?
Very high achieving. Your standards are not good. Also the type of offense he runs is not going to be the most succesful types in college. Right now he arguably is doing less with the most talented offense in the country.

I disagree. PSU was not a top tier team when they were 8-1. That was largely luck. This is a lot of justification for a very bad football coach. I feel like you are to vested in this terrible coach. I watches his teams play. I don't need anyone to explain to me why he wasn't bad when his teams played a brand of football that is not going to be producing winners.
I’m not sure where you are going or what you are talking about here. My post was long, but I think you need to go back and read it more carefully. When they were 8-1 that was with Paterno in 2011 when the Sandusky story broke, not with O’Brien. So you are sort of making my point for me here by saying the 8-1 record was mostly luck.

You are trying to make the case that Penn State was the old “Penn State” of the 90’s and O’Brien dragged them down. It didn’t happen that way. They had already slipped under Paterno, and when the scandal broke they could have gone right into the dumpster. Instead, O’Brien took over and they did pretty much as well as Paterno had his last two years, 15-9 under O’Brien vs. 16-10 the previous two years under Paterno and interim coach Tom Bradley.

I’m not trying to oversell O’Brien as a candidate for the Nebraska job. I’m just pushing back against your less than factual opinions and “feelings” about what actually happened at Penn State.

O’Brien would not be my first choice, but aside from the risk that he would jump back to the NFL after a few years of success, I don’t think he would be a terrible choice.

I’m not sure where you are going or what you are talking about here. My post was long, but I think you need to go back and read it more carefully. When they were 8-1 that was with Paterno in 2011 when the Sandusky story broke, not with O’Brien. So you are sort of making my point for me here by saying the 8-1 record was mostly luck.

You are trying to make the case that Penn State was the old “Penn State” of the 90’s and O’Brien dragged them down. It didn’t happen that way. They had already slipped under Paterno, and when the scandal broke they could have gone right into the dumpster. Instead, O’Brien took over and they did pretty much as well as Paterno had his last two years, 15-9 under O’Brien vs. 16-10 the previous two years under Paterno and interim coach Tom Bradley.

I’m not trying to oversell O’Brien as a candidate for the Nebraska job. I’m just pushing back against your less than factual opinions and “feelings” about what actually happened at Penn State.

O’Brien would not be my first choice, but aside from the risk that he would jump back to the NFL after a few years of success, I don’t think he would be a terrible choice.
Fair enough. But when BOB took over the team was not in the weakened state that he left it in. You can argue sanctions but they were given a slap on the wrist. I do think BOB would be a terrible decision and not because he might jump to the NFL. We would end up firing him for being a bad coach. We have had enough generically bad coaches here.

Very high achieving. Your standards are not good. Also the type of offense he runs is not going to be the most succesful types in college. Right now he arguably is doing less with the most talented offense in the country.
My standards are not good? The very high achieving programs that he was/is a part of were the New England Patriots who made it to two Super Bowls while he was an assistant coach there and the Alabama Crimson Tide, who are currently ranked #2 in the AP College football poll. How much higher could my standards actually be?

Last edited:

Fair enough. But when BOB took over the team was not in the weakened state that he left it in. You can argue sanctions but they were given a slap on the wrist. I do think BOB would be a terrible decision and not because he might jump to the NFL. We would end up firing him for being a bad coach. We have had enough generically bad coaches here.
Losing 10 scholarships a year is a “slap in the wrist”?

Bill O’Brien’s Houston Texan’s team won 4 division championships in 7 years. Admittedly, he flamed out and got fired after starting 0-4 in 2020. His Penn State teams were 15-9. He was named National Coach of the Year and Paul “Bear” Bryant Cosh of the Year in 2012. This is the factual information, which seems to differ significantly from your “feelings” about him.

I’m not saying he’d be my number 1 choice, but he wouldn’t be a bad choice either. Other than your “feelings” I’d be interested in understanding why you think he would be such a poor choice.

Absolutely not. He has only been in coaching for 7 years. We do t need another project. We were concerned that SF didn’t have enough experience and he was coaching for 16 years including 2 years head coach before we hired him. There is a huge difference between being a defensive coordinator in an established program and having to move into a rebuild program where you have to hire staff l, develope S&C programs and recruiting. He has zero experience there.
Lol I'm not endorsing the guy, I'm just telling you where I believe the search is going. You are probably right, this guy seems to be a litle wet under the ears at the big boy level.

I think Trev was being honest when he said he was going to talk to a LOT of people about this.

I'm not really endorsing Bill O'Brien but to the folks saying he isn't a good football coach, that is an opinion. He is generally regarded as one of the top guys who would likely end up back in the NFL soon if he wanted, as a head coach. I try to go by what the general consensus of these guys is, not one of our own opinions, although they could be true as well.

Lol I'm not endorsing the guy, I'm just telling you where I believe the search is going. You are probably right, this guy seems to be a litle wet under the ears at the big boy level.

I think Trev was being honest when he said he was going to talk to a LOT of people about this.

No candidate checks all the boxes. Leonhard has a successful record as a coordinator in the Big 10, and at a program that plays physical football. He wouldn't be my first choice in light of his non-experience as HC and his relative inexperience in general, but we could do much worse....

No candidate checks all the boxes. Leonhard has a successful record as a coordinator in the Big 10, and at a program that plays physical football. He wouldn't be my first choice in light of his non-experience as HC and his relative inexperience in general, but we could do much worse....
He might be a great choice. If Trev hires him and he turns out to be a great choice, Trev will look like a genius. I’m hopeful that Trev is trying to properly evaluate the possible candidates in order to make the best possible choice. I’m also hopeful that Trev is not approaching the football-coach hiring process as a way to “prove” he is a genius.

He might be a great choice. If Trev hires him and he turns out to be a great choice, Trev will look like a genius. I’m hopeful that Trev is trying to properly evaluate the possible candidates in order to make the best possible choice. I’m also hopeful that Trev is not approaching the football-coach hiring process as a way to “prove” he is a genius.
I think he understands what's at stake here. I am confident he knows a hell of a lot more about what he is doing than the prior AD.

I certainly don't envy him right now though. Seems like a tough job.

I think he knows what he is doing, and I appreciate his calm, measured and professional approach. Very tough job……….

Can you imagine if he found a candidate with the credentials that SF seemed to have when he was hired? We again would think qe hit the jackpot.

Hiring a HC is and always will be a bit of a crapshoot, no matter how good the resume might look. You would think that someone should have known about the character traits SF seems to have (the LP girlfriend episode was always a red flag). We hired in haste there, didn't we, probably because we thought someone else might hire him out from under us (a mistaken judgement it turned out to be).

If there is a way to find out about those, I hope TA does; I'm sure he will try, and I'm sure such a review takes some time and major conversations with a lot of people who can be frank with him.

I don't know TA but I think he is going about this right.

If we can't land Aranda or Fickell, I'd rather take a chance on a top coordinator like Leonard that knows defense and knows the B1G than bringing in a guy with more HC experience but doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling. Look at Venables, he's a first time head coach and OU is humming right along (granted that wasn't a rebuild).

:Sign2cents:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back