• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

The Texans brought in Brock Osweiler after the Broncos super bowl win and O'Brien was immediately at odds with him and they never got along.

If last years coaching moves told us anything, it’s that guys who are currently in positions you wouldn’t expect to leave may be potential candidates also.

If last years coaching moves told us anything, it’s that guys who are currently in positions you wouldn’t expect to leave may be potential candidates also.

Chip Kelly?

Triumph I Keed GIFs | Tenor

C

LL translates well at Kansas in the b12. He runs some real gimicky offense schemes that I doubt work in the b1g. And he would have to find a defense somewhere. Seen his latest points allowed?

Cambell from all acounts us happy in Ames. Doubt he jumps.

O'Brien is a wildcard. Risky but likely brings in a great staff. I'd guess this is #1 for TA at this point if the leak is legit.

Imo this leak if it even was one was to throw a curveball.....

TA lookin at someone else. Love Whittingham or Patterson. Chadwick from Coastal Carolina, love his blocking techniques. Hat on a hat.

If the goal is to get back to power husker fb; I think the coach is in place.

Trev is very media savvy. He is strategic and careful with his words. When he commented about having a coach that has no hobbies I think he was planting a seed. The linked article is long but a quote toward the bottom has been repeated a few times in things I’ve read about Campbell “he doesn’t have any hobbies, besides watching his kids swim, and when he does go on vacation, he’s got his computer with film ready to be cut up.”

I think if we can convince Campbell to come Trev will hire him.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-iowa-state-cyclones-toledo-rockets/77500040/

I respectfully disagree. The media was out for blood. The situation itself and it’s effect on the football program was difficult to navigate. And the reason that “everyone says that” is because it’s true.
The media problems came from Bill himself. He took a program that was doing ok and made them into the equivalent of Iowa. That is why people wanted blood.

LL translates well at Kansas in the b12. He runs some real gimicky offense schemes that I doubt work in the b1g. And he would have to find a defense somewhere. Seen his latest points allowed?

Cambell from all acounts us happy in Ames. Doubt he jumps.

O'Brien is a wildcard. Risky but likely brings in a great staff. I'd guess this is #1 for TA at this point if the leak is legit.

Imo this leak if it even was one was to throw a curveball.....

TA lookin at someone else. Love Whittingham or Patterson. Chadwick from Coastal Carolina, love his blocking techniques. Hat on a hat.

If the goal is to get back to power husker fb; I think the coach is in place.
There is just no way TA wants O'Brien numbe 1. O'Brien is just not a good coach.

What a sucky list...we can do much better.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the list is always going to be underwhelming.

Urban is the only big name that keeps coming up on people's lists. I don't need to rehash how I don't think that option is very realistic.

Aranda, Fickell aren't mentioned on there, but are those truly exciting names either? Husker fans need to be preparing for our next head coach to be someone that isn't a huge name. Doesn't mean they won't be a great coach. Just means that there aren't those big name candidates out there.

The media problems came from Bill himself. He took a program that was doing ok and made them into the equivalent of Iowa. That is why people wanted blood.
The program was not “doing okay”. When Joe Paterno was fired after the Jerry Sandusky (long-time Penn State assistant coach and defensive coordinator) child sex abuse scandal came to light in November of 2011, the team was 8-1. Under interim coach Tom Bradley the team limped to the end of the season losing 3 of their last 4 games to finish 9-4. While they had good years in 2008 and 2009, finishing 11-2 both years, they had gone 7-6 in 2010. The university, the team and the football program were rocked by scandal and under NCAA investigation.

O’Brien was hired amid the fallout from the scandal while there was an on-going NCAA investigation regarding the scandal. National media lambasted Paterno, the university and the football program at that time. Local media followed suit. During the July of 2012 before O’Brien’s first game the NCAA announced that they had sanctioned Penn State with a 4 year post-season ban along with loss of 40 scholarships over the 4 years.

In spite of this, and the intense negative scrutiny of the football program by national and local media, O’Brien managed to lead the Nittany Lions to a record of 8-4. He was named Big 10 coach of the year by both the media and the coaches and named “National Coach of the Year” by ESPN. In January of 2013 he was named the Paul “Bear” Bryant National Coach of the Year. So the national media and coaches clearly thought he did a good job under difficult circumstances. In 2013, his record slipped a bit to 7-5, after which he left the program for the NFL.

To be clear regarding O’Brien, he bailed on the Penn State program for the NFL, probably because of the NCAA sanctions, but maybe for other reasons as well ($$$). The post-season ban was ultimately lifted in 2014 and scholarships were returned to normal in 2015, but as far as O’Brien knew, he was coaching under a severe scholarship limitation through 2016 as well as the post season ban. In spite of this, he managed to guide the Nittany Lions to a record of 15-9, which was pretty similar to the program’s 16-10 record over the two seasons before he was hired. I’m not sure what you say to recruits when you are coaching in such a situation. But to be clear, the numbers (and facts) indicate that he didn’t “take a program that was doing okay and turn it into the equivalent of Iowa”. It’s just plain BS to say so. And frankly, from where we sit at Nebraska, if someone came here and turned us into Iowa it would be a major upgrade.

Last edited:

None of this list would be a splash hire that would immediately help recruiting/portal transfers. Will be a grind for any of them to get NU back. Still wish it was Urban. That said, this group seems competent if underwhelming.

Saw this on Twitter. Impressive if true:

Bill O'Brien hires at PSU:

RB - Charles London (Position coach in NFL since PSU)
DC - Ted Roof. Current OU DC
DB - John Butler - DB coach in NFL since PSU, current Bills DB Coach
DL - Larry Johnson - Best DL coach in America
S&C - Craig Fitzgerald - Current Giants S&C Coach

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back