• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feldman on Frost and the massive disorganization

If it's really just culture, I agree two weeks could be enough. I think it's culture and years of poor system/accountability. That's more than two weeks. I was a big believer that Frost would get it done here but when I heard culture being a problem in year two (and beyond), I began to have doubts.

If MJ's the man and Busch is decent, we'll see a lot of improvement by the end of the season, I just don't expect too many more wins.
Most standards are known to the players,there's leadership on the team.
2 important issues showing improvement of many.

Through all this they have to learn to win, a huge hurdle for the team.

Exactly. If Frost was permitted to leave quietly with $15 million and the fans thinking he gave it his all and couldn't right the ship, the narrative would be "if Scott Frost can't do it, nobody can!"

Now it's clear Frost wasn't even really trying to right the ship. It's like Captain Ahab decided the White Wale wasn't worth his time, docked the Pequod in Nantucket, and spent his days boozing with his closest crew members at the Two Headed Dog.
Nice. :).

Heard some talking heads discussing this and I am going to have to recalibrate my expectations of Coach behavior or I will be left with only 2 choices: 1. Find a way to be satisfied with losing or 2. Accept the fact that many very successful coaches behave in a way my Baptist upbringing wouldn’t approve of.

Two of the talking heads played for TO. Sounds like Osborne looked the other way or was at least tolerant of a lot of the personal things that Scott was engaged in.

I'm not really talking about the "character" issues allegedly displayed by Frost after working hours or on weekends, etc. Those are between Frost, his wife, family, friends, etc. My problem is with the stories of missed work meetings, showing up late to practice, allegedly missing a in-home meeting with a recruit, showing up late to an event with boosters, etc. Those are work related and negatively impacted the program. Those things, along with the probation, could have easily gotten Frost fired for cause should Alberts have wanted to go that route.

I would at least like to think that Osborne wouldn't have tolerated those things from an assistant coach on his staff, never mind the head coach of a program he's devoted the majority of his life to. Yet he continued to support Frost.

I guess I'll have to chalk it up to Osborne having a blind spot when it comes to Scott Frost.

Last edited:

This is it right here. We can't let the narrative be that we're a lost cause. If Frost had issues with his handling of the team and his coaching and dedication we have to let the truth come out.

Kansas has beaten West Virginia and Houston this year in year TWO under Leipold. We certainly couldn't have under Frost in year five.

Inexcusable and frankly astounding.

The narrative, and how it might impact the coaching search and recruiting, is why I really kind of find it curious that Alberts didn't fire Frost for cause. During the NCAA investigation last season, there were reports the university didn't expect the probation penalties to be too bad and that Frost wouldn't be fired for cause unless things "got really bad."

Well, things got really bad this season, Alberts fired Frost and gave him a $15 million going away gift instead of firing him for cause and saving the $15 million. That money doesn't come from state funds, so I don't have a problem with it because it's not going to impact the rest of the university, but IMO Nebraska could have really controlled this narrative had the department allowed, or encouraged, the media to report on Frost's missed meetings, showing up late to practice, etc., before he got fired. I guess perhaps, as HuskerWeatherman discussed in one of his posts, Alberts and others in the AD may have made the calculation that those reports wouldn't have been believed by the majority of Husker fans and that Frost would "win" that narrative.

Last edited:
I'm not really talking about the "character" issues allegedly displayed by Frost after working hours or on weekends, etc. Those are between Frost, his wife, family, friends, etc. My problem is with the stories of missed work meetings, showing up late to practice, allegedly missing a in-home meeting with a recruit, showing up late to an event with boosters, etc. Those are work related and negatively impacted the program. Those things, along with the probation, could have easily gotten Frost fired for cause should Alberts have wanted to go that route.

I would at least like to think that Osborne wouldn't have tolerated those things from an assistant coach on his staff, never mind the head coach of a program he's devoted the majority of his life to. Yet he continued to support Frost.

I guess I'll have to chalk it up to Osborne having a blind spot when it comes to Scott Frost.
Got it and agree completely.

Much the same was said when SF came in to take over for MR
It seemed like in that first year he did make some of those corrections. Not sure what happened over the years that caused him to revert.

I've never been a football coach, but some of the stuff we weren't doing just doesn't make sense to me.

Feldman went on to say how bad NU's talent level is. Extremely dispiriting.
I do think there are some places we are thin on talent. People want to say we are really talented because of recruiting rankings, but that only tell part of the story. Defensively, I think our talent as been overstated. Offensively, I think we've got some ballers.

I do think there are some places we are thin on talent. People want to say we are really talented because of recruiting rankings, but that only tell part of the story. Defensively, I think our talent as been overstated. Offensively, I think we've got some ballers.
I would agree, but I would contend that we do not know what kind of talent we have had or have currently because they really have not been coached for the last 5 years at a high level. What we are seeing on the field is not an actual representation of the players individual talent. If the disorganization is as bad as it seems to have been, they really have been just sold a bill of goods and then not led to develop what they may or may not have for ability.

I would agree, but I would contend that we do not know what kind of talent we have had or have currently because they really have not been coached for the last 5 years at a high level. What we are seeing on the field is not an actual representation of the players individual talent. If the disorganization is as bad as it seems to have been, they really have been just sold a bill of goods and then not led to develop what they may or may not have for ability.
I guess some of it depends on how you define "talent". How much of it is athletic ability? How much of it is skill?

I think we probably have some guys who look bad right now and could be developed into great players. I also think there are some guys who got good recruiting rankings coming out of school because of athletic potential, but don't have the drive or mind to become great players.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back