• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anthony Grant has star potential

Bottom line is, Grant has done more with less, a lot less, but we have only played a couple of patsies. I get it. With that said, when 2/3 of your yards are after contact and you haven't had a loss on any carry, then you are doing something right. Very right. I don't care who you are playing, especially when you are running behind a pitiful offensive line. Whether he is the best since AA or insert name here, we will see when we enter conference play. We will, however, get a taste when we play OU.

Last edited:

Bottom line is, Grant has done more with less, a lot less, but they have only played a couple of patsies. With that said, when 2/3 of your yards are after contact and you haven't had a loss on any carry, then you are doing something right. Very right. I don't care who you are playing. Whether he is the best since AA or insert name here, we will see when we enter conference play. We will, however, get a taste when we play OU.
He may be the 'he's going to get his' guy we havent had since Wandale, though unlike Wandale, he gets in the end zone for us often enough.

Now let them worry about CT, Trey, Travis, Omar et al

He's obviously an NFL back. I knew he had wiggle, but I didn't expect him to be so physical, and I definitely didn't expect him to have that sort of breakaway speed. He's had freakshow runs a little like Mo Washington except he actually has muscle to bang.

Speaking as a former running back, I absolutely, with zero hesitation, put him in the camp of Burkhead (very similar runner when you watch his vision and jump cuts) in terms of talent. But he has breakaway speed that neither Rex nor Ameer possessed. He also looks pretty reliable as a passcatcher. The kid is an absolute steal and easily the best player on our team.

I'm pretty dang happy with the transfers in general. Thompson and Grant make a pretty formidable backfield.
Great call on Burkhead. The other thing I've enjoyed is he plays with such low pad level upon contact. He makes himself really small really quick, and then has the acceleration to break away. I hope with some of his success, he doesn't rely too much on the north/south game as we will start to play against faster, more physical teams. I'm not saying not to use those jump cuts, but its easier to do against lesser talent. Just pick and choose wisely. I'm really looking forward to see him compete against the big boys.

Great call on Burkhead. The other thing I've enjoyed is he plays with such low pad level upon contact. He makes himself really small really quick, and then has the acceleration to break away. I hope with some of his success, he doesn't rely too much on the north/south game as we will start to play against faster, more physical teams. I'm not saying not to use those jump cuts, but its easier to do against lesser talent. Just pick and choose wisely. I'm really looking forward to see him compete against the big boys.
I love his twisting, churning then stretching, a tad of sweetness hisself

Lets hope Trey tries to prove you wrong

Trey has been great minus a few drops. The main thing with him is getting deep ball timing with Casey. Casey is an extremely gifted passer up to about 30 yards. I haven't seen much from his deep ball yet, but that appears to be where he needs the most work. He's underthrown Trey a couple of times on deep routes when Trey had a touchdown waiting for him. Kid is fast as hell.

Trey has been great minus a few drops. The main thing with him is getting deep ball timing with Casey. Casey is an extremely gifted passer up to about 30 yards. I haven't seen much from his deep ball yet, but that appears to be where he needs the most work. He's underthrown Trey a couple of times on deep routes when Trey had a touchdown waiting for him. Kid is fast as hell.
Again, spot on. He could have had two deep touchdowns to Trey if in fact he hit him in stride. Palmer was making corners look silly but then had to wait for the ball to arrive, and then was forced to highpoint the ball. Casey needs to be better in that area. Without that deep threat, or ability to get it deep, it really puts our offense in a bind.

Again, spot on. He could have had two deep touchdowns to Trey if in fact he hit him in stride. Palmer was making corners look silly but then had to wait for the ball to arrive, and then was forced to highpoint the ball. Casey needs to be better in that area. Without that deep threat, or ability to get it deep, it really puts our offense in a bind.
Hit just one, that defense changes, with AG the likely recipient of good things to come

Actually over-threw him bad once at NW when he had 4 steps.

Grant and Palmer have definitely been bright spots. Let's hope the coaches use them to the best of their ability the rest of the season.

And I'm also hoping that our S&C program doesn't make them worse. :confused:

I think he has much better moves than Burkhead.

On another note, I strongly dislike "take away his big plays and his average is not high enough." Not only is it trying to short a player's achievements, but from a mathematical point of view, it just doesnt make sense. Dont twist the stats to make them fit a narrative. Grant is one heck of a player and I am glad he is wearing red.

Grant is still tied for 2nd in rushing yards. Though several guys will pass him this weekend. He is 50th in yards per carry. It will be interesting to see how his season unfolds as he starts to play against tougher defenses. Not sure the oline play is going to help him much. Though Indiana’s rush defense is 108th so there is reason for optimism in the next game.

Anthony Grant has some major star potential. In order to help our defense more, we should really put a much greater focus on being able to run the ball and this guy can absolutely be a bellcow. That is all.
Grant has the ability to change direction quickly and is very explosive. Offensive line isn't doing him many favors, though. The times they can give him running room, he gets huge gains. He has to rely too much on his ability to make guys miss right now. The fear is also the more you get away from the passing game, the more they'll fill the box, making it even harder for him to run.

Grant has the ability to change direction quickly and is very explosive. Offensive line isn't doing him many favors, though. The times they can give him running room, he gets huge gains. He has to rely too much on his ability to make guys miss right now. The fear is also the more you get away from the passing game, the more they'll fill the box, making it even harder for him to run.
The passing game will be fine.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back