• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we better?

NorthwoodHusker

Husker Fan
2 Year Member
Thoughts on returning coaches,its consistency, older players, better, bigger and experience
Speculations on new coaches, approaches, scheme changes, new players, rookies contributing, portal players.

POVs will vary, facts might even surface. But what do we think we have this year?

Last year I thought we would be better. We committed NCAA violations to work on special teams. I heard this Stepp guy (dispite his mediocre video) was the next big thing. 2AM was going to return to Freshman form and now he had Torre to throw to. I was worried about us in the middle of the DL though. But I also knew that we had Luvotsky and Prochaszka now in the mix along with 2 highly touted OL from the prior year.

Our Special Teams was horrid. Stepp was the fourth or fifth best RB on the team. We again chose not to start our best players (at least visually). Our OL probably took a step from bad to worse. I want to believe we are better. My biggest fear is not with Dom Raola. I think Dom is a good OL coach. My fear is that our ST really was not that great when he was the ST coach here before when it came to punting and kickoffs but he was good with field goals. That and I am afraid we are turning into a pro style offense who tries to throw in the Nebraska wind.

Please give me some reason to be optimistic. I want to be better. I know we should be better. We just need to start to put it together.

Last edited:
I’m not sure we’ll be better.

My guess is we’ll continue having a pretty good defense, and effort will still be solid for four quarters.

I really believe special teams will improve by a lot. That’s a one win difference.

I think we’ll have slightly less turnovers. That’s a one win difference.

Our schedule is easier. That’s probably another win.

I think we’ll take a step back in yardage but be better in the red zone.

I think it adds up to 6 wins and saves Scott’s bacon by a hair. By not making a bowl, we’ve missed a year’s worth of practices during his tenure. Make a bowl this year, and I think Whipple shines next season with the extra practices. I expect huge lulls on offense this year. I’ll be shocked by any sort of consistent production.

Lost a lot on defense. New starting QB. A lot of new WRs. New center. A lot of "news".
When JoJo didn't play against Iowa it was hardly noticed. Don't get me wrong I think JoJo is amazing but I think that Chins is the key to our defense not any one player. For the first half of the year CTB was probably our third or fourth best cover corner. At the end of the year he shined above everyone. I think our DL improved and I think our depth on D certainly improved. Now lets see if we start play our backups. One of my biggest complaints over the last 20 years has been we do not rotate players well to get fresh legs. I thought that would change with Frost but it really hasn't.

When JoJo didn't play against Iowa it was hardly noticed. Don't get me wrong I think JoJo is amazing but I think that Chins is the key to our defense not any one player. For the first half of the year CTB was probably our third or fourth best cover corner. At the end of the year he shined above everyone. I think our DL improved and I think our depth on D certainly improved. Now lets see if we start play our backups. One of my biggest complaints over the last 20 years has been we do not rotate players well to get fresh legs. I thought that would change with Frost but it really hasn't.
Rewatching the minny game I saw minny getting way too much push in their run game. Adjustments were made to curtail that that then hurt our pass D some.
Our O line has our D line better prepared for this, plus I think we'll have more muscle both preventing any harmful adjustments to an extent.

Rewatching the minny game I saw minny getting way too much push in their run game. Adjustments were made to curtail that that then hurt our pass D some.
Our O line has our D line better prepared for this, plus I think we'll have more muscle both preventing any harmful adjustments to an extent.
Sorry I was talking about Iowa with the JoJo statement.

Sorry I was talking about Iowa with the JoJo statement.
Right, I guess I should have just put it out there
But you're right. That position run by Chins does a lot and you need smart players, fast but bigger.
He now has three, and it seems almost every coach is a little regretful for not switching out guys more last year.
My bet is they get them in camp and realize the players didnt know the things they'd have learned playing more.
That should change this year, I think this will make us better

In fairness, not sure we had the depth to spell folk as we should have in seasons just past. If nothing else, I think that has changed.

In fairness, not sure we had the depth to spell folk as we should have in seasons just past. If nothing else, I think that has changed.
The only evidence that we have one way or another was the Iowa game. Both Tanor and Gifford played so well I could not believe it. Early in the year at MLB Kolavaek played some but I (as well as other posters) wanted to know why Clements wasn't playing since he looked amazing. Now they are saying he had a great spring and might play. I am guessing we have a strong 2 deep and in some spots maybe a strong 3 deep but I have not seen much willingness by the staff to trust the substitutes. Hopefully this year will change.

Yes we are better. Better at losing. Over the last 4 coaching changes we have learned to lose in every imaginable manner regardless of how much better a team we are on paper. We can lose to Northwestern by 50 and I won't even bat an eye. That my friends, is progress....

Since we do not have the ability to view practices it is hard to gage who earns playing time. Recruiting boards do not rate work ethic or playbook knowledge.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back