• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does UCLA Have Buyer's Remorse?

George Kliavkoff says PAC-12 is actively exploring expansion

According this this article,

I haven't heard anything else about this? Has anyone else?
You're quoting a 2 week old interview that happened during Pac-12 media days. There's no story here. This is just some PR spin by the Pac 12 conference commissioner. I saw other quotes where he tried to say that UCLA and USC were having "buyer's remorse".

I think what happened is that this move was done very quietly, and after it became public some boosters or other peripheral UCLA/USC people were not thrilled. But nobody with any authority has expressed anything but enthusiasm. There are certainly some questions that have yet to be answered, about scheduling and especially how the travel of other sports will work. Other than some grumbling about that, I've seen nothing.

The biggest thing is that Cali has said travel for state employees to any state that restricts abortion using state money. That could affect UCLA as it is a state school. Will not affect SC as they are a private school. Pretty sure some team missing out out on a natty will resilve that long before they enter the B1G

The biggest thing is that Cali has said travel for state employees to any state that restricts abortion using state money. That could affect UCLA as it is a state school. Will not affect SC as they are a private school. Pretty sure some team missing out out on a natty will resilve that long before they enter the B1G

I would think that doesn't apply to their athletic department since it isn't state funded.

Not trying to get too deep into this so this will be my last response. Technically it applies to all state employees which the coaches are.

I doubt it potential of making an estimated 75 mil a year will get them over it.

Hopefully Cali can be as great as Iowa and have 2 or more teams in two different conferences.
Silly, but in the end,money talks

Last edited:
Not trying to get too deep into this so this will be my last response. Technically it applies to all state employees which the coaches are.
It would be tough for the state to try to link UCLA's travel funds back to specific funding that came from the state.

Last edited:
They wont be barring fans from others states,their money spends like any other in LA.
It shouldnt be stopped in any form unless UCLA decides they want it stopped.
This helps UCLA immensely, and I'm doubly glad,as it helps their various sports as well,not just FB, then add all that overall to our conference, win win

I'm a UCLA FB season ticket holder, and I havent heard anything but positives, especially cause they were 100+ million in debt. They just settled an issue with Under Armor, and received 67 million so that helps. Their network contract paid them only about 1/3 of the BIG, at best. The fan pages i have seen do recognize that the middle of OUR conference is way better than the middle of the Pac 12, They know they have work to do.

They finished 8-4 last year, with an early home win vs LSU, but still averaged less than 50,000 per game, in a stadium that holds 90-92,000 approx. I expect a bit more this year attendence this year, but not sell outs. The last home game vs USC was 15-20k below a sell out, which was sad.

Agree. And the state has confirmed that it applies only to bar the expenditure of state tax funds.
It would be tough for the state to try to link UCLA's travel funds back to specific funding that came from the state.
The athletic department and all people within are legally a subsidiary of the school and although the athletic department may or may not be self-funded they are part of a legal infrastructure that receives state money.

UCLA itself was losing money - having to borrow from the university to remain afloat -

I am sure there are ways around this mandate.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back