• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CFN Preview and Prediction of the Nebraska-Northwestern Game

I won't quote any of the article. You can just click, read, and react. :)
For starters

To start, the offensive line will be a major plus around All-America tackle Peter Skoronski, there should be more of a running game, and the defense got a little help from the transfer portal for the line.

He plays on the end

Nebraska vs Northwestern Prediction, Line

Nebraska 26, Northwestern 17
Line: Nebraska -12.5, o/u: 50.5
ATS Confidence out of 5: 3.5

Nebraska vs Northwestern Must See Rating: 3

5: ‘My Life as a Rolling Stone’
1: Below Deck Mediterranean

I have ties to both schools and thus follow both programs pretty closely. Northwestern should have a decent rushing attack with two good backs (Evan Hull and Cam Porter), but the passing attack was mediocre last year and there is no real reason to think it will be much better this year. The defense was sieve-like under first year DC Jim O'Neil and may be better this year but is unlikely to be a strength. By contrast, Nebraska improved itself almost across the board. If Nebraska's offensive line is better (fingers crossed that Raiola is doing a better job than his predecessor of developing the talent there), Nebraska should be strong both offensively and defensively.

Both teams were 1-8 in the conference last year but that masks a huge difference in performance. Northwestern lost seven Big Ten games by double digits and frankly wasn't even competitive in most of their games. Nebraska, by contrast, was in every game.

In sum, on paper at least, this game should not be close. I think Nebraska wins by at least two touchdowns. In my view, the real wild card is coaching. On the Nebraska side, you never know how players will perform their first time out under new coaches, and Northwestern's HC Fitzgerald gets more out of less talent than anyone in the country.

In any event, I can't wait to see the game. Only 15 days now.

Last edited:

I await with some trepidation any situational circumstances - end of first half, red zone on third down, end of game, windy conditions, etc. Who is in charge and is that sorted before the game begins.

I doubt we will appear or be a well oiled machine in this first game. Yet it is the most important game on our schedule. Scary.

It seems our defense is coming around as our offense still has growing pains.
We have players at WR, RB and QB that will cause problems for them.
No turn overs and consistency we will handle them.

I’d be surprised if this game is anything but close. That game last season snowballed on NW. Before they knew what happened, they were down big and out of it. I personally have no clue what to expect. I’ll just watch, and see what happens. Too many wild cards involved to really predict anything.

NW was really bad last year.

Averaged only 16 points a game.

Score over 14 only once in 6 of their last 7 games

Gave up 30 points a game.

Their beat writers have been really tough on the team in their predictions this season as far as the over all season goes.

Vegas has it right now -12.5 Huskers

NW was really bad last year.

Averaged only 16 points a game.

Score over 14 only once in 6 of their last 7 games

Gave up 30 points a game.

Their beat writers have been really tough on the team in their predictions this season as far as the over all season goes.

Vegas has it right now -12.5 Huskers

Northwestern doesn’t need to beat Nebraska in a 7 game series…just one.

Hopefully Nebraska is ready to go in Dublin and takes care of business.

Northwestern doesn’t need to beat Nebraska in a 7 game series…just one.

Hopefully Nebraska is ready to go in Dublin and takes care of business.

I would have never known that thanks for pointing it out ;)

NW averaged 22 points a game in 2020 and 16 in 2021

"Hopefully" you don't sound very confident ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back