• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kudos to Frost

HCSF deserves some credit. From watching these all these videos of players I think the team has definitely adopted his personality and swagger.

Offensively, previous assistant coaches didn't seem to have that "step on their throats and take their will" type mentality. These new coaches aren't playing around.

Raiola getting those OL attacking downhill will be key. If Raiola builds it, they will come (4+ star talent).

Frost has talent at both kicker positions so no excuses there for probably the first time he has been here with Busch (a proven multi position coach and top notch recruiter).

The offensive coaches and Busch seem much more aligned with Frost's persona. Coaches that are passionate about developing young men into Leaders.

May be wishful thinking but I can see 250+ rushing yard games with it being primarily RBs getting the yards. All with efficiently disecting a defense to multiple weapons in the pass game. We are starting to look like a team that can hurt you a lot of ways, all if the O line can open lanes and stop the pass rush.

A lot for Raiola but if he can line up with Frost's vision, I can see being a team nobody wants on their schedule. This team has some moxy. When the O line finally gets their's, I for one can see all gas no breaks mentality coming through on the scoreboard.

We got some dudes.

Kudos HCSF
Kudos to you sir for opining a measure of positivity!

GBR!

Used to be chewing tobacco habit (I think)

red_man_original_1024x1024_2x_0fdb14b2-780a-4b1d-99ff-d769535e9c1f_1024x.jpg

I do not view as “stepping back and getting out of the way”

I do view it as empowering your staff, your organization and ceding leadership roles to them. The greatest leaders in the world are people who surround themselves with people smarter than themselves.

There is still so much work to do … I cannot believe that Whipple is creating an offensive identity without SF’s input. There are schemes, set designs and personnel decisions that SF can, should and better be involved in. Whipple, Joseph, Raolia and Applewhite may be the hands on guys but their name is not on the corner office and while they may or may not lose their jobs … SF’s career, legacy and job is also on the line.

If this season and future seasons are successful SF should get kudos for creating and empowering an organization (finally). Getting them the resources and opportunity to do their job. And creating a positive and productive environment for people to thrive.
I think he did those things with the former staff. I'm not sure he held them accountable until he was told.

Last edited:

Frost will certainly deserve some credit if (big if) things turn around. I think even more credit should go to the new assistants, and even more to Trev.

Before we start heaping praises on anybody though, can we have at least two consecutive seasons of slightly better than mediocre football? For the past four years we haven’t even been able to dream of mediocre.

Just win and there will be enough credit and happy thoughts for all. We can all decide individually who gets the most credit, however there is usually no I on a winning team. It takes chemistry, hard work and a touch of luck.

IF the team looks like they belong, and win the games they should, Alberts, Frost and all the assistants should get credit. Unfortunately Frost has burned his bridges with a section fo the fan base and, like the caller referenced above, some will never give him credit even if we magically do win a natty.

I am in wait and see mode. I give Frost props for trying something different. Not every coach would do that with the egos out there. For many they would have cashed the buyout check and moved on.

Frost rightly took the hit for the lousy 4 years of this tenure. Why the hell people wouldn't give him some credit for a turn around this year indicates FDS! Frost Derangement Syndrome.... He's taken what his boss told him to do and just MAYBE turned things around. TREV is not coaching this team and Frost's assistants still take their direction from him. Therefore he should either get the credit for success or the blame this season. He will be held accountable by Trev without a doubt.

Anyone suggesting that people can't change, improve and get better at their job doesn't know WTH they are talking about. Happens all the time in every type of job or career. Obviously as fans all we can now do is sit back and see if all the change brings success this season.

Last edited:
Shocking, just shocking! :Lol: (if true)

Well, I just hope the team has enough success on the field this season that the argument on here turns to whether Frost should get any of the credit as head coach. That would be preferable to the alternative.
Not true at all I can bitch an moan with the best of them. Yet I can wanna see them win

If they were wing and going to bowl games what would be talked about in here

Did you see that cheerleader , you know the 3rd from the left or 7th from the right depending on where you were sitting but

Yeah that one

Just win and there will be enough credit and happy thoughts for all. We can all decide individually who gets the most credit, however there is usually no I on a winning team. It takes chemistry, hard work and a touch of luck.

IF the team looks like they belong, and win the games they should, Alberts, Frost and all the assistants should get credit. Unfortunately Frost has burned his bridges with a section fo the fan base and, like the caller referenced above, some will never give him credit even if we magically do win a natty.

I am in wait and see mode. I give Frost props for trying something different. Not every coach would do that with the egos out there. For many they would have cashed the buyout check and moved on.
I think he cashed his first check and moved on

Definitely not all the kudos. But, if this season does mark a turnaround for the program, he absolutely should get recognized for learning to step back and out of the way. It’s an important lesson for managers, and many never learn it.
Ahhh, but his sacrifice of friends and job responsibilities dont matter, He's making X amount of money yadayadayada
Thought I'd just head off a few responses ;)

I do view it as empowering your staff, your organization and ceding leadership roles to them. The greatest leaders in the world are people who surround themselves with people smarter than themselves.
I think this is the key to the whole thing. Not only empowering, but hiring the right people to begin with. Nothing against any of his staff before, perhaps in different circumstances they are all good coaches, but few of them showed they were ready for the task at hand. Can they recruit, can they teach, can they motivate…. Then can they do it in Lincoln Nebraska.

Probably my biggest issue with frost is his arrogance ( “swagger” to some) coming in and maintaining throughout 4 years at the bottom of the b1g west, that he was doing such a better job than his predecessors. In so doing, he blindly held on to guys that did not carry enough street cred to get themselves a foothold on the national seen and were not able to pull in the boys need to turn the corner. Or perhaps they just couldn’t coach.

Either way it was 1 mistake after another. Pelini had the same arrogance, afraid to hire anyone that would question his manhood, yet he maintained 9+ through big 12 officiating, conference jumping and then some b1g officiating until too much AD ultimately did him in.

If frost earns any credit from which none Has yet to be earned, it will be for this reason and this reason alone. Put the small town jock arrogance in your skoal poach and stuff it deep in your back pocket never to be seen again and heap praise on the hires you brought in to save your a..butt.

I think this is the key to the whole thing. Not only empowering, but hiring the right people to begin with. Nothing against any of his staff before, perhaps in different circumstances they are all good coaches, but few of them showed they were ready for the task at hand. Can they recruit, can they teach, can they motivate…. Then can they do it in Lincoln Nebraska.

Probably my biggest issue with frost is his arrogance ( “swagger” to some) coming in and maintaining throughout 4 years at the bottom of the b1g west, that he was doing such a better job than his predecessors. In so doing, he blindly held on to guys that did not carry enough street cred to get themselves a foothold on the national seen and were not able to pull in the boys need to turn the corner. Or perhaps they just couldn’t coach.

Either way it was 1 mistake after another. Pelini had the same arrogance, afraid to hire anyone that would question his manhood, yet he maintained 9+ through big 12 officiating, conference jumping and then some b1g officiating until too much AD ultimately did him in.

If frost earns any credit from which none Has yet to be earned, it will be for this reason and this reason alone. Put the small town jock arrogance in your skoal poach and stuff it deep in your back pocket never to be seen again and heap praise on the hires you brought in to save your a..butt.
I do not disagree that hiring the right staff is SF’s failure. Coaching is such a fraternal profession. Very incestuous. Very relationship oriented. Sometimes it’s hard to see through the personnel connection.

Right or wrong that’s why I am more of an SF apologist because at least he’s “seen the light” and is trying something different. Albeit arguably way too late. I also, if I ever were an AD would never ever let the coach hire a staff without some sort of review/agreement by me.

You can look at the hiring of BP’s first staffs FS’s first staff and even back to the days of TO and have some of the same comments.

I’d like to see 500 a game again in my lifetime. I don’t care if it’s 150 rushing and 350 passing. Anything over 430 would be good. With Whipple, we’re not going to rush for 200 yards a game, I’m pretty sure. Hope he proves me wrong.
In the good days, 500 used to be the norm, at least 3/5 years, and the other 2, 450-475. 365 on the ground, and 135 in the air. Pummeled people. Most were toast midway thru the 3rd qtr, as they couldn’t take the beating. That style would still work today, but it’s just not sexy enough for kids. It’s the main reason why I believe the 1995, 1997, 1999 Huskers would have beaten 2001 Miami, IMO, handily. They wouldn’t have been able to take the beating. Kids would rather look good than win, which is stupid.

Last edited:
No one on this board would accuse me of carrying the water for Scott Frost but you would have to give him props for turning the season around. My concerns would be could it be maintained. As much as I have been disappointed by his 4 years back at Nebraska, I realize that the best path to consistency and winning now would be to have our current staff get it and begin their own rebuild. I'm obviously skeptical but would hope this is the future for this team.

It’s a no win scenario for Frost if he gets blamed for all the negatives but isn’t eligible for the credit for potential improvement. I think there would be enough joy to spread some credit around, but it would be kind of crappy to disqualify Frost from accolades.
SF and only SF set himself up for second guessing regardless of what happens. He hung onto awful offensive assistants who were graded for friendship instead of results. that was on him

now those turds were replaced with what we hope are good coaches and only game time will prove this out but there is reason for hope with mickey joseph laying the hammer to laze WR's, much improved recruiting and general sense of focus on discipline football.

So if we achieve a turnaround, SF will not get the level of credit a new head coach would NOR should he as he created the cesspool we are hopefully exiting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back